iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Jan 29, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #3,526 of 5,865
@Sebastien Chiu I’m looking at some linear power supplies to use with the Zen Stream. I need some clarification on the size the dc input connector on the ZS. The most common options out there seem to be 5.5 x 2.5mm or 5.5 x 2.1mm. I just wanted to make sure whatever I buy has the correct dc connector to work with the ZS. Thanks for the info!
Hi,
For my LPS, I purchased a 5.5 X 2.1mm DC cable, for use with the ZS. It fits the ZS perfectly.

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #3,527 of 5,865
Hi,
For my LPS, I purchased a 5.5 X 2.1mm DC cable, for use with the ZS. It fits the ZS perfectly.
Me too, same size, got a Gieseler Kraftwerk II Dual that is a twin adjustable 5-9-12V power supply. It feeds 9V to my Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 DDC and 12V to the Zen Stream. Wasn't cheap but worth every penny.

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #3,528 of 5,865
So the ifs streamer has 5 modes. AIO. vs. other 4 settings. So I can run my Mconnect app in AIO or setting 5.

Same with my tidal app. AIO. and dedicated tidal mode.

Have you heard a difference is quality.

Where my ifs streamer sits is really hard to turn the 5 position dial.

muiscguy

I do know I don't like apple air play. Sounds cold compressed.

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #3,529 of 5,865
Hi,
Thanks for the info. That’s just what I needed to know.

Jan 29, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #3,530 of 5,865
So the ifs streamer has 5 modes. AIO. vs. other 4 settings. So I can run my Mconnect app in AIO or setting 5.

Same with my tidal app. AIO. and dedicated tidal mode.

Have you heard a difference is quality.

Where my ifs streamer sits is really hard to turn the 5 position dial.

muiscguy

I do know I don't like apple air play. Sounds cold compressed.
I haven’t done a listening test but didn’t notice a difference when I decided to stick with AIO for Mconnect. My view is that any difference in not worth the hassle, particularly as I get drop outs requiring requiring me to switch the until off /on. I think I maybe get less drop outs on AIO also.

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #3,531 of 5,865
I haven’t done a listening test but didn’t notice a difference when I decided to stick with AIO for Mconnect. My view is that any difference in not worth the hassle, particularly as I get drop outs requiring requiring me to switch the until off /on. I think I maybe get less drop outs on AIO also.
Leaving it in AIO mode and then manually disabling unused services is much more convenient and doesn’t appear to impact SQ compared to dedicated modes.

Jan 29, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #3,533 of 5,865
Until now I have only tried the ZS with my speakers. Today I have connected my Schiit gungnir multibit with a Schiit fulla 2 (line in) to use my old headphones. I have a pair of sennheiser HD 558. The sound is very interesting, but not 100% satisfied like I am with my speakers/speakers amp.
I'm planning to do an upgrade.
I wanna buy a proper headphone amp (no dac only amp) and a new pair of headphones. Any suggestions? Total budget 500 euro :)

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #3,534 of 5,865
Leaving it in AIO mode and then manually disabling unused services is much more convenient and doesn’t appear to impact SQ compared to dedicated modes.
tried to search for "ssh" in this thread but couldn't find anything.
How can I login to the Stream and disable the unused services pls?

Jan 29, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #3,536 of 5,865
Jan 30, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #3,538 of 5,865
i know what you plug the ifI streamer is a big part of how good the sound will be.

Who is using USB. Or spidf?

I have jm been using spidf only.

can I get both spidf and usb output at the same time. I select the usb. And spidf. Stops working. Give versa

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #3,539 of 5,865
i know what you plug the ifI streamer is a big part of how good the sound will be.

Who is using USB. Or spidf?

I have jm been using spidf only.

can I get both spidf and usb output at the same time. I select the usb/day. And now only output I get is usb ?
You can either use USB or COAX=SPDIF if you aren't using Roon which can adress both ports at the same time.
So in any other application than Roon you select the according mode in the settings menue and play.
USB is overriding SPDIF if plugged in and connected.
I have been using both and am currently sticking to SPDIF for NOS (non upsampled pure playback).
SPDIF is limited to PCM 24/192 bit rate which should be enough for usual music selection.
USB supports PCM up to 32/386.
Both ports support DSD256 native and DSD128 DoP

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #3,540 of 5,865
Don't want to stress that topic too much but imho Airplay etc is fine when lowering expectations and run with the likes of Airpod Max etc which I like alot too but not for the serious listening.
When listening to your RME you re anyway wired and therefore I don't really see the reason of needing a wireless connection.
Such a lightning dongle is really affordable and will definitely raise your listening experience by 2 levels without needing any additional Streamer.
I'd even go as far and say that an IPad with Bitperfect playback into a DAC is competing with dedicated streamers which are more expensive than Zen Stream

Streamers are then fine for your local library and playing Roon, HQPlayer etc and even there an IOS device can work as an endpoint with up to 768khz bitrate into a connected DAC.
That has made me questioning even the need of a Streamer.
But the Streamer still has technical advantages over the IPad with Ethernet playback vs WiFi and power purifying and a purist software design.
So I assume it will best the iPad in a measured test setup.
I bought the lightning to USB camera adapter yesterday and did some back to backs between the following :-

Apple Music 16/44.1 lossless > iPad mini 5 > Airplay 1 > iFi Zen Stream > USB > RME ADI-DAC 2 FS

Versus

Apple Music 16/44.1 lossless > iPad mini 5 > Camera Adapter > USB > RME ADI-DAC 2 FS

The difference was easily noticeable, in that detail was clearer, instrument separation clearer, and hence soundstage sounded altogether improved. However, I certainly don’t want to imply the Zen Stream is degrading things because the effect may be linked to Airplay 1. Also the Zen stream provides a wireless capability that is so convenient that any small difference in audio is possibly worth the sacrifice. Ymmv.

Next thing for me to try is to remove Airplay 1 from the equation:-

Bit perfect 16/44.1 CD rip > local NAS > iFi Zen Stream (via iFi App) > USB > RME ADI-DAC 2 FS

Versus

Apple Music 16/44.1 lossless > iPad mini 5 > Camera Adapter > USB > RME ADI-DAC 2 FS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back