iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Jan 23, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #3,422 of 5,865
Am trying SPDIF to my Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE out of Roon and while it sounds wonderful once it's playing I am getting very long (re-)locking times every time the sampling rate of the played song is changing of up to 5 seconds.
That leads to the song being yet played but I am not hearing anything until the DAC is locked again.
Anyone else made that observation or is that related to my Spring DAC?
Just adding that USB mode is super quick and no locking times whatsoever but I wanted to assign USB to a different source...
Just to clarify this topic.
There's nothing wrong with Zen Stream.
The locking times are related to the PLL mode on Holo Audio DACs.
Once turned off there's no delay and everything working fine.

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #3,423 of 5,865
So what am I doing wrong whereby ‘click here to raise a ticket’ just takes you back to the ‘we are busy’ screen?

Use this URL: https://support.ifi-audio.com/customer/ to create your support ticket and fill everything required, check all required check boxes and click "Submit" at the end. You will be forwarded to the landing page (it's normal) and you need to check your mail inbox afterwards. Very important if you use a Microsoft email account, check your spam/junk mail, the iFi support email is blocked by default for unknown reason by Microsoft. Other important point, if you use this ticket system the first time you need to go here after you have created your ticket: https://support.ifi-audio.com/wp-login.php?action=lostpassword enter your email you have used before to create the support ticket and you will get a email to change your password (this will be your login later for the ticket system). After this everything works fine.

Jan 24, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #3,424 of 5,865
So a feedback on Spotify Connect!
After some listening on the BETA v2.31.1 it runs rather ok. Still little slow randomly on changing track or rewind but it is not as bad as before(stable v2.29.9). Mixer Type is ok now. But when I turn off my DAC(USB connection only) and switch it on again the Zen Stream(always on) does not remember to be in USB mode. It is shifting to COAX and so no sound. I have to get into settings and change the output to USB again for it to start playing normally.

Jan 24, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #3,425 of 5,865
Use this URL: https://support.ifi-audio.com/customer/ to create your support ticket and fill everything required, check all required check boxes and click "Submit" at the end. You will be forwarded to the landing page (it's normal) and you need to check your mail inbox afterwards. Very important if you use a Microsoft email account, check your spam/junk mail, the iFi support email is blocked by default for unknown reason by Microsoft. Other important point, if you use this ticket system the first time you need to go here after you have created your ticket: https://support.ifi-audio.com/wp-login.php?action=lostpassword enter your email you have used before to create the support ticket and you will get a email to change your password (this will be your login later for the ticket system). After this everything works fine.
Thanks. I will try it at next opportunity.

Jan 24, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #3,426 of 5,865
Hi everyone!

Im new here. I have experienced some strange behavior with the ifi zen stream in tidal exclusive mode, i think at the first start when you switch to this mode the player is in hardware mixing mode, but after you turn off the player and turn on again it switches back to software mixing mode. Is it possible to change this option in exclusive mode or solve somehow this problem. I think hardware mixing mode sounds lot better. I use coaxial output.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #3,427 of 5,865
Have you tried clearing your browser cache / cookies?

Yes, highly recommend doing this first, if any of you ever have these kinds of issues with our ticketing system!

When I had I problem, I sent message to Sebastian and from there you going to sent the log file so they can see the problem. I had Spotify connect problem and after sending the log they got it fix via firmware.

More than happy to be of assistance!

So a feedback on Spotify Connect!
After some listening on the BETA v2.31.1 it runs rather ok. Still little slow randomly on changing track or rewind but it is not as bad as before(stable v2.29.9). Mixer Type is ok now. But when I turn off my DAC(USB connection only) and switch it on again the Zen Stream(always on) does not remember to be in USB mode. It is shifting to COAX and so no sound. I have to get into settings and change the output to USB again for it to start playing normally.

Thanks for your feedback. This has been noted and will be forwarded along to our team.

Thanks. I will try it at next opportunity.

Let me know how it went!

Hi everyone!

Im new here. I have experienced some strange behavior with the ifi zen stream in tidal exclusive mode, i think at the first start when you switch to this mode the player is in hardware mixing mode, but after you turn off the player and turn on again it switches back to software mixing mode. Is it possible to change this option in exclusive mode or solve somehow this problem. I think hardware mixing mode sounds lot better. I use coaxial output.

Thank you in advance!

I will ask our team if this is possible and if not, if it's something we can implement.

Jan 24, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #3,428 of 5,865
Yes, highly recommend doing this first, if any of you ever have these kinds of issues with our ticketing system!

More than happy to be of assistance!

Thanks for your feedback. This has been noted and will be forwarded along to our team.

Let me know how it went!

I will ask our team if this is possible and if not, if it's something we can implement.
Thank you very much! It would be perfect and it would mean the best sound quality for tidal exclusive mode users.

Jan 24, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #3,429 of 5,865
So I have had my Ifi streamer for 3 days. Now it seams pretty solid. I can unplug it and get it working again.

I first had it on a ifs power x 12volt. Its was pretty damn close to my lumin u1 mini with sbooster power. I just put a uptone Lps 1.2 power supply on the ifs streamer.

It is now so close to my lumin u1 mini. Of course this is on my Home theater system but still. I have a really good Headphone system. Ill give it a week and compare it on headphones.

I know now its a 800 dollar steamer transport now. But its still 2K cheaper than my lumin u1 mini.

This could be the best bargain streamer transport for the money with proper power supply. Im just saying.

M usicguy

Jan 24, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #3,430 of 5,865
This could be the best bargain streamer transport for the money with proper power supply. Im just saying.
Yep, also see this, that's why I ordered an iPower Ultra - but haven't received it yet:) :

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/new-ifi-zen-stream-device/163860/544?page=28

Notably

"compared the ifi Zen Stream with external power supply from ifi ipower Elite with the Lumin D2 with modified Sbooster BOTW, ifi was more detailed, more depth, slightly brighter, wider stage…in short, just better, not much…but still."

"ifi Zen Stream with external power supply from ifi ipower Elite!
Together they are better than the Lumin D2 with the Sbooster Botw, price one third!
Have to say the Auralic Aries G1 sounds a little bit better.
"

Jan 24, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #3,431 of 5,865
I have finally setup my Roon Rock, including uploading some 17k FLACS and DSDs on a 2TB SATA SSD. Controlling the ROCK via the PC, when I press play for something that's locally stored, the sound starts literally without any perceivable delay via the Stream! That tells me that any lag is not caused by the streamer. Absolutely love the sound and functionality and I'm yet to try the Roon exclusive mode. Saved me buying the Lumin U1 Mini, too :D

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #3,432 of 5,865
Hi everyone,
I have one question, can I play the PC windows sound like chrome and other apps through ifi Zen Streamer ?

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #3,433 of 5,865
Hi everyone,
I have one question, can I play the PC windows sound like chrome and other apps through ifi Zen Streamer ?
No. But you can use Audirvana and Spotify/Tidal connect to stream to it. If you want to play PC sound, connect your PC straight to the DAC. Chromecast functionality not yet available but hopefully coming soon.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #3,434 of 5,865
ok updated to 2.31.1 and have done some testing. Spotify connect via usb now works but there is an issue when changing tracks. There is a stutter where the sound cuts back in for a fraction of a second instead of a smooth transition like there used to be. Tidal connect is more stable than it was in the original firmware but still needs work. A lot of tracks take 3-5 seconds to start playing. Some tracks have a 1-2 second pause just after the it starts and there are still some random intermittent cut outs from time to time. Seems worse going back and fourth from hi-fi quality to master. I have a strong hardwired internet connection and don’t have problems with other devices so I know it’s not network related. Also the lights are displaying incorrect colors. It gives me yellow for Spotify and Tidal Hi-Fi tracks (should be green) and Cyan for MQA (should be yellow) but priority should be placed on getting Tidal connect more stable. Thanks for your continuing efforts and excellent communication thus far in getting this product to the level it deserves.

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #3,435 of 5,865
Am planning to demo Euphony Stylus over the weekend hopefully.
That may also run on the Rock server and can hold all components including Roon Core and HQPlayer Server either locally or remote.
For the 30 days demo you can boot the custom Linux from a boot stick so you're not messing up your hard disk.
Let's see if it's bringing another improvement
I just got done with a Trial for Euphony,...

To make it short and sweet I think if your in a simplistic setup, and are just Looking for the Best Sound Quality and not much else Then to my ears, and this is subjective.
I think Euphony has the best sound for me, but the problem is I don't think it's so far above Roon that it's worth the 300 schmackers for having it forever! I don't care for the interface, nor the way it needs to be navigated.

I'd still rather pay Roon Yearly and get all the benefits that comes along with it. In fact I just paid a few bucks to the creator of RooUPNP to add the ability for Roon to see non Roon devices, like my wildly useless JF Digital MX-1, :smile::smile::beerchug:... (Only Kidding,lol)

I guess I will really have to give Volumio # a hard ride now that I paid for a year, basically cuz, I hated it and forgot about the 7 day trial....Oopps, lol

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back