iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Aug 28, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #1,186 of 5,899
Hello, I have been able to perform the first comparisons between Allo Digione (powered by Allo Shanti) and Zen Streamer, using BNC output on the former and RCA Coaxial on the latter. Coaxial cable is the same for both and both feed a Chord Qutest DAC, also powered by Allo Shanti. Spatial definition, that I personally use as reference for comparisons, seems better with the Digione. I personally use spatial cues because when audio reproduction is correct, every piece of music fits in the right place creating the mosaic of good music. It seems to me that, by adding an IFI SPDIF Ipurifier to the Digione, further progress is achieved. Trying to explain this impression with technical considerations, this result might be due to the lower noise of the Digione, which is about 50 microV according to the manufacturer, whereas the Zen Stream is about 13mV according to Goldensound. Jitter should be less of a problem with a Chord DAC.
I should say that the Zen Stream is more flexible in use, even though it has been released far too early in the market. One amazing glitch that I am experiencing with it is that, after selecting DLNA exclusive mode, the IP address is no longer accessible in the local network so that, if you were playing from a USB attached drive, you can no longer select the tracks or access settings! I presume IFI app will solve this but still.....is this the way to release a product?
I am continuing the comparisons to determine whether to return the Zen or not.
Good to read this forum

Aug 28, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #1,187 of 5,899
One important thing ime using an (old) iPhone/iPad is the device will/can run out of ram. This causes skipping/hick upps in the stream. Soft or hard reset helps. Use an App to check ram status. I am using a 4 year old iPad pro. Had this problem directly streaming from the Qobus app and now with the ZS using mConnect. A dedicated ios device to control the stream is prob. the best.
Anyway. been tinkling a bit, and findes the best SQ with a dedicated 2.4 GHz band wifi. My5 GHz is to bussy(neighbours). The 2.4 shows 72 mb in the ifi browser app. Wired is good but after going back and forth I prefere the 2.4 wifi connection.
Tried a cat8 Supra. Horrible distortions due to ground loupe. (Router is on another mains line). Upgraded my internet to 500/500. It seems stability is more important than speed when regaring hires sound streaming.
So ZS is a great product for the price, but it is not a plugg an play to get the best out of it.
My use: Qobus>mConnect, DLNA only. Everyting else off. The ZS itself is hardly warm, not hot at all.

Ps. Still need the higher buffer in advanced settings. Like in Apple music there is a couple pf seconds delay before playing.

Aug 28, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #1,188 of 5,899
That's my working theory right now, but I'm not 100% on that yet...

Your thought is very appreciated, and I believe right on track!!

Cheers!
So ….
Just got a coax cable and tried that instead of the using the USB Unison. Success!

No more buzzing. Stops and starts the music like it should. Must be the USB.

And FYI this was a cheap $5.99 Monoprice I got on Amazon

Aug 28, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #1,189 of 5,899
Just tried a different USB cable and still get the loud buzz on pause and tried another coaxial cable and still get some crackles with a handful of Tidal Masters recordings such as Freya Ridings most recent album on Tidal where the whole album exhibits the crackling. Unfortunately I do not have another DAC.

Anyone here have a Bifrost 2 and using either a USB or coaxial connection with Tidal and having these issues?
As noted in my prior posts, I experienced the same issue as well N BF2 when using Tidal Connect. (Not when using Mconnect.) Mr BubbaHyde tried a number of scenarios on his BF2 and did not have the same problem. I got a new ZS, and same result. No buzzing when connecting iPad via CCK.

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,190 of 5,899
@iFi audio

There is a bug with the ZEN stream when upgrading the firmware. It is always reproducible and not random.

Steps:

1. Disable WiFi
2. Disable DHCP
3. Enable custom DNS
3. Set static IP address for LAN
4. Update firmware using the built-in olnine function of the ZEN stream
5. After successful firmware upgrade the network settings are lost - WiFi is enabled and DHCP is enabled and custom DNS is disabled and the static IP address is gone...

Note: all other settings/options are not changed after firmware upgrade only network settings messed up.

Please fix it, it's anyoing to reconfigure the network settings after every firmware upgrade. I have this now the 3rd time (3rd firmware upgrade since I have my unit).
Hi, maybe I am oversimplifying it but I got my Zen Stream to a LAN cable and it worked. Didn't see any firmware upgrade happening? Is there a right way to update it without bricking it o hope?

Has anyone noticed any difference between the All in one and Tidal/Roon exclusive modes?

I have my 2nd unit on the way and saw so many people having problem with WIFI settings. Hope there is a RIGHT way to set that up...

Thanks

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #1,191 of 5,899
Hi, maybe I am oversimplifying it but I got my Zen Stream to a LAN cable and it worked. Didn't see any firmware upgrade happening? Is there a right way to update it without bricking it o hope?

Has anyone noticed any difference between the All in one and Tidal/Roon exclusive modes?

I have my 2nd unit on the way and saw so many people having problem with WIFI settings. Hope there is a RIGHT way to set that up...

Thanks
To me there is a noticeable improvement using the Roon mode.
This is the RIGHT way to set it up.

Aug 29, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #1,198 of 5,899
I’ve just tried ZS into my Bifrost 2 via usb, and no buzzing.

Aug 29, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #1,199 of 5,899
Hello, I have been able to perform the first comparisons between Allo Digione (powered by Allo Shanti) and Zen Streamer, using BNC output on the former and RCA Coaxial on the latter. Coaxial cable is the same for both and both feed a Chord Qutest DAC, also powered by Allo Shanti. Spatial definition, that I personally use as reference for comparisons, seems better with the Digione. I personally use spatial cues because when audio reproduction is correct, every piece of music fits in the right place creating the mosaic of good music. It seems to me that, by adding an IFI SPDIF Ipurifier to the Digione, further progress is achieved. Trying to explain this impression with technical considerations, this result might be due to the lower noise of the Digione, which is about 50 microV according to the manufacturer, whereas the Zen Stream is about 13mV according to Goldensound. Jitter should be less of a problem with a Chord DAC.
I should say that the Zen Stream is more flexible in use, even though it has been released far too early in the market. One amazing glitch that I am experiencing with it is that, after selecting DLNA exclusive mode, the IP address is no longer accessible in the local network so that, if you were playing from a USB attached drive, you can no longer select the tracks or access settings! I presume IFI app will solve this but still.....is this the way to release a product?
I am continuing the comparisons to determine whether to return the Zen or not.
Good to read this forum
can you please tell me what category of ethernet cable you are using, router speed 300mbs? and internet speed. or what you would recommend for high res music streaming. i am to having issues and may have to update service plan. i hope that it is something that i can solve on my end with just an upgrade from the provider.
thanks

Aug 29, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #1,200 of 5,899
Hello, I am on wifi 5ghz, with a nominal 1Gbps speed and an actual of about 300Mbps. Even high res music does not place much demand in terms of bandwidth so you should be fine with just more than 50 Mbps. If you stream locally rather than from the internet, is your issue gone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back