iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Aug 29, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #1,201 of 5,913
Hello, I am on wifi 5ghz, with a nominal 1Gbps speed and an actual of about 300Mbps. Even high res music does not place much demand in terms of bandwidth so you should be fine with just more than 50 Mbps. If you stream locally rather than from the internet, is your issue gone?

I totally agree about bandwidth not normally being an issue. In fact, 2.4 GHz wifi might be preferable because of the significantly longer range, especially if you are moving around with DAPs or have walls blocking the signal.

Aug 29, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #1,202 of 5,913
Hello, I am on wifi 5ghz, with a nominal 1Gbps speed and an actual of about 300Mbps. Even high res music does not place much demand in terms of bandwidth so you should be fine with just more than 50 Mbps. If you stream locally rather than from the internet, is your issue gone?
i was using a CAT. 5 ethernet cable and will try a new service provider with between 50-100mbps. download capability. current rate is 27mbps. ordered the new cable a CAT 8, should take about a week to get to me. i realize that high res. music does not demand high download speed, but in order for the stream to remain consistent, the higher the speed the better or so i have been told? i am hoping all this will resolve the problems i am having with connection issues.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #1,204 of 5,913
i was using a CAT. 5 ethernet cable and will try a new service provider with between 50-100mbps. download capability. current rate is 27mbps. ordered the new cable a CAT 8, should take about a week to get to me. i realize that high res. music does not demand high download speed, but in order for the stream to remain consistent, the higher the speed the better or so i have been told? i am hoping all this will resolve the problems i am having with connection issues.

Well, 24/192 requires 9.2Mbps (uncompressed) so 27 Mbps should be enough if nothing else is using bandwidth. More is better, yes... especially if you have several devices.

Aug 30, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #1,205 of 5,913
@iFi audio

There is a bug with the ZEN stream when upgrading the firmware. It is always reproducible and not random.

Steps:

1. Disable WiFi
2. Disable DHCP
3. Enable custom DNS
3. Set static IP address for LAN
4. Update firmware using the built-in olnine function of the ZEN stream
5. After successful firmware upgrade the network settings are lost - WiFi is enabled and DHCP is enabled and custom DNS is disabled and the static IP address is gone...

Note: all other settings/options are not changed after firmware upgrade only network settings messed up.

Please fix it, it's anyoing to reconfigure the network settings after every firmware upgrade. I have this now the 3rd time (3rd firmware upgrade since I have my unit).

Thanks. I will pass your feedback to our R&D. If they can address this, I'm sure they will at some point.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 30, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #1,206 of 5,913
Hello I have a question maybe someone here can help me.

I have built a stack with zen can, zen dac and lately zen stream. Now in an attempt to transfer my system to another room I accidentally plugged the ipower of the zen stream to zen can and vise versa.

When I tried to power the stream both lights turned red and there was a strange noise coming out of it. Also the zen can only powers up when I hold the power button and when I leave it it goes off.

now most importantly….is it possible that the zen stream is harmed in any way possible from the underpowered ipower with the 5v?

and second….is the zen can burded? Did the 15v damaged it?
I would appreciate any input from ifi or anyone else that could help.

cheers

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #1,207 of 5,913
Hello I have a question maybe someone here can help me.

I have built a stack with zen can, zen dac and lately zen stream. Now in an attempt to transfer my system to another room I accidentally plugged the ipower of the zen stream to zen can and vise versa.

When I tried to power the stream both lights turned red and there was a strange noise coming out of it. Also the zen can only powers up when I hold the power button and when I leave it it goes off.

now most importantly….is it possible that the zen stream is harmed in any way possible from the underpowered ipower with the 5v?

and second….is the zen can burded? Did the 15v damaged it?
I would appreciate any input from ifi or anyone else that could help.

cheers

This is why we live, learn, and always look at what PSUs we plug things into!

The Zen Stream should not be harmed from the 5v, but the Zen CAN may have been shot by the 15v.

Open up a support ticket with us here and we'll see what we can do to help you!

https://support.ifi-audio.com/open.php

Aug 30, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #1,208 of 5,913
This is why we live, learn, and always look at what PSUs we plug things into!

The Zen Stream should not be harmed from the 5v, but the Zen CAN may have been shot by the 15v.

Open up a support ticket with us here and we'll see what we can do to help you!

https://support.ifi-audio.com/open.php
Thanks for the reply...yeah the zen stream is connecting and passing audio without a problem...so I guess that if there was any damage would not just degrade sound quality or connectivity.

Now about zen can it seems that its damaged. I will see if I can send it to the ifi distributor in my country (Greece).

In any case I should mention that the combo zen stream, zen dac sig and zen can is absolutely worth it...it made hd 650s really sing and once again ifi was up to the task.

Cheers.

Aug 30, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #1,209 of 5,913
Thanks for the reply...yeah the zen stream is connecting and passing audio without a problem...so I guess that if there was any damage would not just degrade sound quality or connectivity.

Now about zen can it seems that its damaged. I will see if I can send it to the ifi distributor in my country (Greece).

In any case I should mention that the combo zen stream, zen dac sig and zen can is absolutely worth it...it made hd 650s really sing and once again ifi was up to the task.

Cheers.

Thanks for the love!

Let us know if you have any issues working with your distributor, we're always here to help!

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #1,212 of 5,913
has anyone tried a wireless router with the Zen Stream?
Have used WiFi only since I got it and am using Linksys Velop mesh router with no issues.

Aug 31, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #1,214 of 5,913
Aug 31, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #1,215 of 5,913
I use a new Netgear Nighthawk AX6 with built in cable modem, if that is what you are meaning. The Wifi Works fine. Once I changed my ZS to 64 Mb and 40% buffer, my intermittent drops seem to have disappeared when I now hit the 8 hour listening time.
AIS offers a wireless router with 100GB worth of download data per month included in the package, probably not enough for 6 hrs. of 24/192 listening per day? it specs out at only 10mbps. the router talks to the cell tower. wonder if this would be a good match for the ZS? looking at the Netgear stuff $$ and i think overkill for my needs. just need this for streaming music. one LAN port to the ZS would be just fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back