iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
May 11, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #4,141 of 5,866
This is a good upgrade.

9DB0886A-78A1-4674-8AF4-6B609FC911DA.jpeg

Ups… wrong forum, I was reading about no effect on power supply’s somewhere.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #4,142 of 5,866
This is a good upgrade.

9DB0886A-78A1-4674-8AF4-6B609FC911DA.jpeg

Ups… wrong forum, I was reading about no effect on power supply’s somewhere.

I thought I've seen all the things I could see on Head-Fi and then this happened!

May 13, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #4,144 of 5,866
I cannot get Native DSD working. Whenever I select Native DSD, it reverts to DoP when I click save. My Copland CSA 100 Amp should be able to receive Native DSD. I also see a white light whenever I play a DSD file, the same colour as for a high-res FLAC. I beleive DSD should have its own colour?

Is this a problem and should I be able to fix it? Or is Native DSD and DoP basically the same?

May 13, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #4,145 of 5,866
I cannot get Native DSD working. Whenever I select Native DSD, it reverts to DoP when I click save. My Copland CSA 100 Amp should be able to receive Native DSD. I also see a white light whenever I play a DSD file, the same colour as for a high-res FLAC. I beleive DSD should have its own colour?

Is this a problem and should I be able to fix it? Or is Native DSD and DoP basically the same?
Probably because native DSD is possible from a windows computer and with the supplied driver. The ZenStream is linux and does the USB interface allow native DSD under linux or does it switch to dop? The kernel of the ZenStream is not the most recent but it should be ok.
Ask Copland (what the firmware is for the Amanero USB card )

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #4,146 of 5,866

I had this same problem countless times before I upgraded to the latest firmware. I had to factory reset the device to get it to stop. It always occurred when I disconnected my DAC when the ZS was on and running.

But since I upgraded to 2.31.7 (and now 2.31.8), I now change the native DSD setting through the Roon setup menu that opens in a browser window when you have the ZS in “Roon only” mode, and click on “device settings”.

I recommend that you do the following first:
1. perform a factory reset, connect your DAC to the ZS via USB and make sure both are on (and that your DAC is set to USB)
2. reconnect the ZS to your Wi-Fi or Ethernet, either through the iFi.local GUI or with the ZS app
3. Change to full settings in the “system” menu
4. Go to iFi.local/dev, enable beta updates
5. Go back to iFi GUI, turn off Wi-Fi hotspot radio in “network” settings. If you use Ethernet, turn off the Wi-Fi radio as well.
6. Go to “system” settings, check for updates and install 2.31.8
7. Go to “sources” menu and turn off the connects you don’t use (Spotify, NAA, etc)
8. Go to “playback options” and select your DAC (instead of S/PDIF), set DSD to native, and DSD volume to max

It should work now. If you use Roon, reply back and I’ll give you instructions on how to set the DSD settings through the software. To prevent this from happening again, always shut down the ZS before disconnecting your DAC.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #4,147 of 5,866

Native DSD and unpacked DoP are bit for bit identical. The only difference is higher bandwidth with DoP due to the packaging. Note that DSD 64 requires a 176.4 PCM package, DSD 128 requires a 352.8 PCM package, and DSD 256 requires a 705.6 PCM package. The unpacking of the DSD in DoP does require a negligible amount of additional processing for the math.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #4,148 of 5,866
Thanks for the procedure srkbear.
I did the steps you proposed, but unfortunately no change. Whenever i try to change to DSD Direct, it just reverts to DoP. No difference if I try it from a Windows PC or the Android app. I play files from a harddrive from the Streams own interface, so no Roon for me.

Hope this will get fixed at some point. Otherwise I hope there is no audible difference between the two methods.

May 13, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #4,149 of 5,866
Thanks for the procedure srkbear.
I did the steps you proposed, but unfortunately no change. Whenever i try to change to DSD Direct, it just reverts to DoP. No difference if I try it from a Windows PC or the Android app. I play files from a harddrive from the Streams own interface, so no Roon for me.

Hope this will get fixed at some point. Otherwise I hope there is no audible difference between the two methods.
That’s so odd! Did yours ever let you select native DSD? What DAC are you using?

May 13, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #4,150 of 5,866
Same problem here. After I have updated the Ifi Zen Stream to the latest firmware whenever I i select DSD direct and click save button, it reverts to DoP. I own a Cambridge Dacmagic 200M dac which is DSD native. The streamer is connected via USB to the dac. Hope someone from ifi tehnical team could do something about that. Thank you!

May 13, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #4,151 of 5,866
Same problem here. After I have updated the Ifi Zen Stream to the latest firmware whenever I i select DSD direct and click save button, it reverts to DoP. I own a Cambridge Dacmagic 200M dac which is DSD native. The streamer is connected via USB to the dac. Hope someone from ifi tehnical team could do something about that. Thank you!
Did you try the instructions I posted a few posts up in the thread? This happened to me many times when I disconnected my DAC from the ZS while it was turned on. After following the steps I posted above the issue resolved, and I’ve taken great care to make sure the ZS is turned off when I disconnect my DAC.

Also, do you use Roon perhaps?

May 14, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #4,152 of 5,866
I don't use Roon. I have done all the steps (1,2,3,5,6,7,8) you mentioned above, except enabling the beta updates (step 4), and after the update to 2.31.7 is was I choosed usb Dacmagic 200M and clicked the save button than the option DSD direct it reverted to DoP. Unfortunately it did do nothing for me.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #4,153 of 5,866
I don't use Roon. I have done all the steps (1,2,3,5,6,7,8) you mentioned above, except enabling the beta updates (step 4), and after the update to 2.31.7 is was I choosed usb Dacmagic 200M and clicked the save button than the option DSD direct it reverted to DoP. Unfortunately it did do nothing for me.
I’m really sorry. Did it ever allow you to use native DSD?

May 14, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #4,154 of 5,866
@iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu
Several folks are finding that their ZS is reverting to DOP when they select Native DSD via USB, despite the fact that they have DACs that support it.

I had this problem whenever I detached my DAC from the ZS when it was still on and running, and the only way I could solve it was to factory reset and start over. This worked for me but isn’t working for them. Could you please advise?

Thanks!

—Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back