iFi audio ZEN DAC - EISA Award Winner 'Best Value DAC 2020-21!
Jun 18, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #1,021 of 1,162
So, I was looking into the differences between Zendac v1 and v2 and noticed something fishy.

The newer versions of the v1 (53040 s/n range) appear to have an identical PCB to the v2. Here's my 53040 purchased before the v2 was ever announced:
20210527_145610.jpg
Here is the official pic from ifi's site for the v2 (s/n range 53070):

ZEN-DAC-V2-pcb_001.jpg

The difference on the v2 is supposed to be a new XMOS controller. Here is a close up of mine:
original_cc1ee2cf-b390-4391-932d-e1ea0732fa3e_20210618_141420.jpg
and the ifi image for the v2:
1624061127812.png

I've confirmed that my unit does *not* do full MQA decode when flashed with the latest 7.2 firmware, and also that the 7.2 firmware file for v2 is identical to v1.
It is blurred out on the ifi picture, but we can see that both are 60-pin surface-mount chips, and you can faintly make out the "GT203401" and "PV9V59.00" string on the v2. The top string appears to not be present or is crossed out on v2.

The XMOS product catalog does not appear to contain any 60-pin XU208 *or* XU216 chips which indicates this is a custom SKU.

It's possible ifi has custom versions of both XU208 and XU216 with only the I/O options they need. It's also possible that v2 is same chip as v1 53040 and that both of these are xu216 (the filename on the firmware for both is xu216 as well so...)

The claim of having a new chip can still be "true" in that case though, because the older 53010 series of Zendac V1 use an entirely different PCB design with what appears to be a BGA mount 8-core XMOS chip according to teardowns I have seen.

Now, my concern here is that the v2 costs $30 more than the v1. What are we *actually* paying for here? Are we getting a new piece of hardware, or are we simply paying for MQA full decode license to have a bit flipped in the ROM to enable it? If it's the latter, that price increase would be kind of disappointing for those who don't need or want MQA functionality in general.

Perhaps 53040 units were sold "at a loss" and ifi wanted to have an excuse to alter the pricing?

If someone can open up a v2 and provide a more detailed pic of the XMOS controller in it, that would be helpful as well.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #1,022 of 1,162
So, I was looking into the differences between Zendac v1 and v2 and noticed something fishy.

The newer versions of the v1 (53040 s/n range) appear to have an identical PCB to the v2. Here's my 53040 purchased before the v2 was ever announced:
20210527_145610.jpg

ZEN-DAC-V2-pcb_001.jpg

The difference on the v2 is supposed to be a new XMOS controller. Here is a close up of mine:
original_cc1ee2cf-b390-4391-932d-e1ea0732fa3e_20210618_141420.jpg
1624061127812.png

I've confirmed that my unit does *not* do full MQA decode when flashed with the latest 7.2 firmware, and also that the 7.2 firmware file for v2 is identical to v1.
It is blurred out on the ifi picture, but we can see that both are 60-pin surface-mount chips, and you can faintly make out the "GT203401" and "PV9V59.00" string on the v2. The top string appears to not be present or is crossed out on v2.

The XMOS product catalog does not appear to contain any 60-pin XU208 *or* XU216 chips which indicates this is a custom SKU.

It's likely ifi has custom versions of both XU208 and XU216 with only the I/O options they need. It's also possible that v2 is same chip as v1 53040 and that both of these are xu216 (the filename on the firmware for both is xu216 as well so...)

The claim of having a new chip can still be "true" in that case though, because the older 53010 series of Zendac V1 use an entirely different PCB design with what appears to be a BGA mount 8-core XMOS chip according to teardowns I have seen.

Now, my concern here is that the v2 costs $30 more than the v1. What are we *actually* paying for here? Are we getting a new piece of hardware, or are we simply paying for MQA full decode license to have a bit flipped in the ROM to enable it? If it's the latter, that price increase would be kind of disappointing for those who don't need or want MQA functionality in general.

Perhaps 53040 units were sold "at a loss" and ifi wanted to have an excuse to alter the pricing?

If someone can open up a v2 and provide a more detailed pic of the XMOS controller in it, that would be helpful as well.
Can't wait to see iFi's reply ro this. My suspicion is that MQA has an agreement with DAC manufacturers to increase sales and share the money. The videos by Golden Sound on MQA absolutely murdered MQA

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #1,023 of 1,162
Can't wait to see iFi's reply ro this. My suspicion is that MQA has an agreement with DAC manufacturers to increase sales and share the money. The videos by Golden Sound on MQA absolutely murdered MQA
I don't want to start an MQA fight or anything, I just want to know more info. My opinion is that even with the price increase, the Zen Dac is still a great product because it competes with $200 DACs like Modius sound wise, and is still the most affordable Burr Brown DAC you can buy. However, the price increase does make it less appealing for those in the $100 DAC market, and as someone who dislikes MQA I would certainly rather not watch it make one of my favorite DACs more expensive and thus less recommendable.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #1,024 of 1,162

It's likely ifi has custom versions of both XU208 and XU216 with only the I/O options they need. It's also possible that v2 is same chip as v1 53040 and that both of these are xu216 (the filename on the firmware for both is xu216 as well so...)

Interesting that the text on my V2 has been erased on the CMOS chip.
For me there was no audible improvement with the V2 verses the V1.
Despite the flaws and bull* it's still a great sounding Dac for the price $129
Does anyone know is there any improvement in audio quality on the Zen-Dac Signature with its 3 pairs of upgraded capacitors ?

Attachments

• DSC_4479.jpg
    DSC_4479.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #1,025 of 1,162
Interesting that the text on my V2 has been erased on the CMOS chip.
For me there was no audible improvement with the V2 verses the V1.
Despite the flaws and bull* it's still a great sounding Dac for the price $129
Does anyone know is there any improvement in audio quality on the Zen-Dac Signature with its 3 pairs of upgraded capacitors ?
Interesting, that definitely looks like the same chip there.

On the Signature I'd expect most of the improvement to come from the lack of an amp circuit more so than from the caps, unless your usb power is particularly dirty or something. Lacking an amp could allow the DAC section to operate more cleanly, in addition to utilizing just the passive volume pot for its variable pre out rather than double-amping.

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #1,026 of 1,162
Quick question. Since the Zen Can only has balanced out and I have my Zen Dac connected to it via 4.4 pentaconn is there anything stopping me from just plugging my desktop speakers into the Zen Dacs rca outs? Would that degrade performance in any way?

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #1,027 of 1,162
Quick question. Since the Zen Can only has balanced out and I have my Zen Dac connected to it via 4.4 pentaconn is there anything stopping me from just plugging my desktop speakers into the Zen Dacs rca outs? Would that degrade performance in any way?

Do you mean having headphones connected to ZEN's 4.4mm out and something else to its RCAs at the same time?

My suspicion is that MQA has an agreement with DAC manufacturers to increase sales and share the money.

😂

Nope, sorry!

On the Signature I'd expect most of the improvement to come from the lack of an amp circuit more so than from the caps, unless your usb power is particularly dirty or something. Lacking an amp could allow the DAC section to operate more cleanly, in addition to utilizing just the passive volume pot for its variable pre out rather than double-amping.

If you use iDSD Signature's RCAs, then its internal headphone amp is bypassed because it has to be :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 16, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #1,030 of 1,162
Hi everyone,

Just a quick heads-up if you were not aware, we have a LED calculator live now that you can always refer to if you have any questions on what a specific LED means for your product.

https://ifi-audio.com/led-calculator/

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #1,031 of 1,162
Hi All...
I'm looking to get zen dac v2, as a roon user I dont find the zen dac to be in roon tested list. Is anyone here using roon with the zen dac v2?

Kindly share your experience...

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #1,032 of 1,162
Hi All...
I'm looking to get zen dac v2, as a roon user I dont find the zen dac to be in roon tested list. Is anyone here using roon with the zen dac v2?

Kindly share your experience...
It works fine with Roon. No issues. Great piece of kit you can build on later on by adding the Zen Can, Stream …

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #1,035 of 1,162

Users who are viewing this thread

Back