iFi audio ZEN DAC - EISA Award Winner 'Best Value DAC 2020-21!
Nov 10, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #106 of 1,162
Been downsizing. Final downsize was sale of H2 dac/amp and upper mid price headphones. Looking at dac/amp's for use with MSR7b (lower cost) headphones. Budget is $100-$450 for dac/amp. Zen Dac looks interesting. Manufacturer describes as "fun" dac/amp. Prefer accuracy and neutrality. Though portable use its target buyer, thinking Q5s as wired desktop dac/amp could be one to consider. Want the 4.4 balanced connection. Not one who likes bass boost implementations in amp/dacs I've heard. Included BT ok, but unlikely to use. Informed opinions, advice please. Music choices - small ensemble chamber, Jazz (modern and older), ambient, electronic, blues, world music.
iFI xDSD @ $399

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #108 of 1,162
About USB powered vs. AC adaptor, I found that iFi AC adaptor makes the sound a bit cleaner. Digital signal may get “dirty” with power going through the same cable.
Also, when I use MacBook Pro as a source, USB powering drains so much juice so that the battery gets dried up quickly even with AC connected to the laptop. This happens with the high gain not with low gain. With a full sized cans, the sound quality is noticeably better with high gain, eve though I used fairly easy-to-drive cans (Focal Stellia and Grado GS 3000e).

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #109 of 1,162
About USB powered vs. AC adaptor, I found that iFi AC adaptor makes the sound a bit cleaner. Digital signal may get “dirty” with power going through the same cable.
Also, when I use MacBook Pro as a source, USB powering drains so much juice so that the battery gets dried up quickly even with AC connected to the laptop. This happens with the high gain not with low gain. With a full sized cans, the sound quality is noticeably better with high gain, eve though I used fairly easy-to-drive cans (Focal Stellia and Grado GS 3000e).

You must have a bad battery. Your laptop charger is probably 85-90 watts [20v, 4.5amps] and the USB port is using likely a max of 2.4amps at 5v, so 12watts. There would still be plenty of power to simultaneously charge the battery and provide power to the laptop, and peripherals.

Check 'System Information' and you will see exactly how much power is drawn, but I work with micro computers that are sensitive to voltage changes all the time, and build my own cables and buck converters and would be very surprised if the DAC was drawing over 2.4amps from a typical Macbook Pro USB 3.0 port, although I suspect the balanced connection at high gain is happiest with a 5v 3amp source.

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #113 of 1,162
Yup, should work!

On the iFi ZEN, what are the Pin-Out specs for both the front 4.4mm Balanced Headphone Output and the Rear 4.4mm Balanced Preamp Output? ...and are they the same?

Do they match the notations in the diagram at the top of the following image?...

51Vpl-163gL._SL1024_.jpg

I'd like to connect the ZEN via the Rear 4.4mm Balanced Preamp Output to some JBL 306P Mk II active/powered Studio Monitor speakers which have the following Balanced 3-pin XLR input connections:

PIN 1: Audio Ground
PIN 2: Audio Signal (+)
PIN 3: Audio Signal (-)

Unless the longer Base Ring on the 4.4mm Pentaconn jack & plug connectors are the "Audio Ground", I don't see a "common" Audio Ground connection via the 4.4mm Pentaconn that correlates to the XLR PIN 1 "Audio Ground"?

In my understanding of true Balance Differential signals, each Left & Right channel would require all 3 of connections shown above (via 3-pin XLR connector) to benefit from the increased power and balanced noise rejection. How does this work using the 4.4mm 5-Pole Pentaconn connector on the ZEN?

Let me continue in the Official thread

As a pure DAC: + violectric hpa v181 + HD800S (fully balance circuit)

Surprisingly good - wide and deep soundstage, clean, good channel / instrument separation. Taking the price into account - nice deal.

As a DAC/Amp vs xDSD with Etymotic ER4SR - SE output only

ZEN DAC wins having more power on SE to drive ety, sounds slightly more precise, bass response is faster.
But I know that xDSD performs much better in balanced mode (3.5 mm TRRS). Unfortunately, I cannot compare them in balanced mode since I currently do not have any 3.5 mm TRRS cable for the 4SR.

As a DAC/Amp vs Cayin n6ii with Earsonics S-EM6 v2 - balanced outputs 4.4 mm

That was the most interesting part: to me ZEN DAC out of 4.4 mm sounds very close to micro idsd black label with one big exception - noise level.
Zen DAC produces an audible noise with my 6 BA IEM while Cayin n6ii is dead silent.
On the performance side - ZEN DAC performs terrific, as I said - very close to Black Label (or at the level of BL), no questions at all to what it delivers except the noise floor..

For sure, it needs some burn-in time and these impressions are right from the box.

So ifi audio, If this an entry level DAC then I can image how your future Mid and High end DACs can perform.
I can stay with ZEN DAC so far and wait for a higher level DAC from your side. Please do not wait too long with introduction (if any other DACs are planned) since I'm also considering violectric DAC V850 to complete my stationary setup.

Regarding the Noise Floor or background hiss:

I understand that you initially tested the ZEN using only USB power from your laptop, but possibly combined with an iFi USB iPurifier or iSilencer, correct?

Have you tried using the new iFi iPower 5v Linear AC/DC Power Adapter or another AC mains to 5v ~2.5 amp linear power adapter? If so, was there any improvement in the noise floor of the ZEN's amplifier section?

TIA!

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #115 of 1,162
For sure, it needs some burn-in time and these impressions are right from the box.

Oh come on now. You had me until that comment. A DAC doesn't need 'burn in time'. It doesn't have tubes.

Not only tubes are subject to change in time :wink:

True. I have it on good authority from a MAJOR semiconductor and component manufacturer that many electronic components (other than valves or tubes) DO actually burn-in. And some are actually "baked" prior to shipping. :) This process is generally used to cull or separate certain individual components into groups with specific +/- % Tolerance ratings.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #116 of 1,162
You must have a bad battery. Your laptop charger is probably 85-90 watts [20v, 4.5amps] and the USB port is using likely a max of 2.4amps at 5v, so 12watts. There would still be plenty of power to simultaneously charge the battery and provide power to the laptop, and peripherals.

Check 'System Information' and you will see exactly how much power is drawn, but I work with micro computers that are sensitive to voltage changes all the time, and build my own cables and buck converters and would be very surprised if the DAC was drawing over 2.4amps from a typical Macbook Pro USB 3.0 port, although I suspect the balanced connection at high gain is happiest with a 5v 3amp source.
You may be right. I'm a heavy user of MacBook Pro. But the battery just went through ~370 charging cycles, and the system reports that the battery is healthy.
I think it's a combination of bass rhythm demanding songs + high gain + me working on Premier Pro (power hungry app).
Anyway, now I got an iFi 5V AC adaptor. So no more worrying about the battery drain.

Nov 12, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #117 of 1,162
I understand that you initially tested the ZEN using only USB power from your laptop, but possibly combined with an iFi USB iPurifier or iSilencer, correct?

Have you tried using the new iFi iPower 5v Linear AC/DC Power Adapter or another AC mains to 5v ~2.5 amp linear power adapter? If so, was there any improvement in the noise floor of the ZEN's amplifier section?

TIA!
No, I did not try the new iPower. I tried a noname Chinese supply and it did not help. So usb power only.
I used a good cable with iSilencer 3.0, regardless the source (PC, laptop, DAP) the noise is there with my 6 BA IEM. The level of this noise is not that high so I can live with it if needed.

Nov 12, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #118 of 1,162
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 13, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #119 of 1,162
I wonder if there's a 100% black version (or will be in the future)?

Anyone know what kind of (if any) drivers this needs?

Also, just to double check, there's no battery in this one, right?

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #120 of 1,162
I wonder if there's a 100% black version (or will be in the future)?
ZEN DAC Black Label ))
No battery, correct.
The driver is on the official web page.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back