iFi audio ZEN Blue - The Official Thread
May 27, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #436 of 493
Thanks for letting us know. Our support team would like to know about those issues. Can you please open up a support ticket here: https://support.ifi-audio.com

Thanks!
I logged a support ticket a couple of days ago and got a response which didn't fix the issue. However, I tried something else which managed to upgrade the firmware successfully on both of my iFi Zen Blues.

Unfortunately the iFi support ticket system seems to be broken so I couldn't update my ticket with the extra steps that I had to perform. I sent those details via email to iFi's support but haven't heard back. Here's the detail:

I tried your suggestion but the update failed on both of my Zen Blue devices. However, I then tried an extra couple of steps. Just before trying to run the update app on my phone I did this:

1. Connect to the Zen Blue in the Settings-->Bluetooth menu of my phone (LG V30+).

2. Once connected for playing music, disconnect the Bluetooth connection in the Settings-->Bluetooth menu of my phone.

3. Then run the firmware update app and continue with the steps in the PDF instructions.

This way I got a successful update of the firmware. So, basically, if I connect to the Zen Blue via Bluetooth from my phone and then disconnect, and then use the firmware update app, the firmware update is successful.

So the fix is to do a quick Bluetooth connect/disconnect from your Android phone that has the firmware updater program installed to the iFi Zen Blue before trying to update the firmware. I don't know why these extra steps fixed the issue but they did.

Please fix your support ticketing system! I just get error 503 if I try to update a support ticket.

May 29, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #437 of 493
Please fix your support ticketing system! I just get error 503 if I try to update a support ticket.

Thanks for letting us know. I'll ask internally about this and will pass on your feedback. Thanks! :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 30, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #438 of 493
Thanks @iFi audio.

Reporting back to the thread, I have updated both of my Zen Blue units (original V1 versions) with the latest firmware and they are working very well after a few days of listening/testing. The 'double click' to turn off/on the lights works fine. I think the lights do appear to go off after a while anyway (once I've disconnected the Bluetooth). This is great for having a unit in the bedroom.

One of my Blues is connected to my 1990s vinyl-based HiFi system, the other is connected to another amp from the 1990s in my bedroom - both are speaker-based systems.

Music-playing was tested with:

iPad - AAC - TIDAL app
iPhone - AAC - Neutron Music Player
LG V30+ - LDAC - USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP)

No issues whatsoever! The sound, particularly with the LDAC connection, is really good - it's better than I expected it to be. I don't know about the V2 version of the Blue, I presume it's slightly better-sounding, but the original version, over LDAC, sounds great.

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #439 of 493
Thanks @iFi audio.

Reporting back to the thread, I have updated both of my Zen Blue units (original V1 versions) with the latest firmware and they are working very well after a few days of listening/testing. The 'double click' to turn off/on the lights works fine. I think the lights do appear to go off after a while anyway (once I've disconnected the Bluetooth). This is great for having a unit in the bedroom.

One of my Blues is connected to my 1990s vinyl-based HiFi system, the other is connected to another amp from the 1990s in my bedroom - both are speaker-based systems.

Music-playing was tested with:

iPad - AAC - TIDAL app
iPhone - AAC - Neutron Music Player
LG V30+ - LDAC - USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP)

No issues whatsoever! The sound, particularly with the LDAC connection, is really good - it's better than I expected it to be. I don't know about the V2 version of the Blue, I presume it's slightly better-sounding, but the original version, over LDAC, sounds great.

Great to hear, thanks for the feedback!

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #440 of 493
Hello folks! I received my ifi Zen Blue two days ago, and I am very pleased so far. This thread has been great (once I finally found it on the Google). It is nice to know how much thought went into this device. It was especially nice to know specifically why this particular Sabre DAC was chosen vs others that are available. This device wipes the floor with my previous Auris Blume HD Bluetooth receiver. There was no A/B comparison needed to hear the huge difference in quality. If you have ever listened on decent headphones to the different codecs, you will know what a huge difference LDAC makes over APTX HD to begin with.

I have a question for iFi regarding powering the unit. I have mine plugged into the switched power output of my receiver, so it turns on when I power my receiver on (even if I am using my receiver for something other than the iFi Blue). It also cuts power to the iFi when I turn my receiver off. Is there any wear and tear on the unit because of this? Any negatives to turning on or cutting power to the iFi a few times per day?
Thanks!

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #441 of 493
One point that could possibly help others:

My phone (LG G5) would sometimes stutter when locked to LDAC 990 in developer settings. I read somewhere that the Wi-Fi antenna can conflict with the Bluetooth on most devices. So if I ever have stuttering when locked to LDAC 990, I just turn my phone's Wi-Fi off and it solves the issue. 990 works all over my house. 👍👍

Jun 14, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #442 of 493
I have a question for iFi regarding powering the unit. I have mine plugged into the switched power output of my receiver, so it turns on when I power my receiver on (even if I am using my receiver for something other than the iFi Blue). It also cuts power to the iFi when I turn my receiver off. Is there any wear and tear on the unit because of this? Any negatives to turning on or cutting power to the iFi a few times per day?
Thanks!

Great question! You won't have any issues.

The only issue that could come about is if you are plugging in too high of a voltage!

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #443 of 493
img_1722-2.jpg
Simple, but effective
Hi Guys,

Todays review will be a bit shorter than normal as the piece of gear we are talking about is actually quite simple. The iFi Audio ZenBlue. The ZenBlue is a member of iFi’s slowly expanding Zen Range, and has the same form factor as the rest of the line. It offers a up very simple functionality as a bluetooth receiver and DAC. There is no volume control, headphone amp, XBASS or 3D features. There is one button on the front to pair with a device, and one on the back to switch from a Digital to Digital function, or use the internal DAC and operate via RCA outputs. You can also use a 4.4mm balanced pentaconn output on the rear, either to connect to another member of the Zen series (which makes sense) or a 4.4mm to dual 3pin XLR into an amp. The problem with that is pentagon to dual 3pin XLR cables will cost almost as much or more than the ZenBlue itself, so perhaps not the economical way to do things.

The ZenBlue is very simple in how it works. You screw in a short antenna which comes in the box, and plug it into the 5v included DC power brick. You then decide if you want to use it as a DD convertor into whichever DAC you prefer, or as a DAC itself using its RCA outputs. You then press the pair button on the front of the unit, which makes it searchable, and then on the device of your choosing, you pair with the ZenBlue. Thats it. Totally easy, totally simple.

img_1723-2.jpg

I initially tried the ZenBlue as a DD converter into my Rockna Wavelight DAC. This worked well, and there was no latency between selecting songs on my computer, and hearing them come out my headphones or speakers. The same can be said for when I tried it as a DAC directly into my Kinki EX-M1 integrated amp.

Bluetooth as a technology does limit you to less than lossless levels of transmission. As far as I understand, it currently cannot transfer losslessly regardless of the CODEC you use. I did a bit of research and it seems that 320kbps mp3’s or the equivalent in other file formats are the best it can manage. Now, I personally don’t believe the difference between a 320kpbs mp3 and lossless is that big. The difference can be hard to hear, but there is certainly a slight difference, especially with material you are familiar with. With all that being said, as lossless streaming is becoming more and more common, and more and more affordable, I can’t recommend the ZenBlue for someone who is going for ultimate sound quality. Perhaps iFi’s newly announced ZenStream would be a better choice for those people. However, if you need an affordable, small, transportable DAC package that does bluetooth, maybe for a secondary non reference system, or in the kitchen for listening to tunes while you cook, or something similar, the ZenBlue would be perfect.

screen-shot-2021-06-29-at-11.45.35-am.png
iFi’s new ZenStream, worth consideration for those who need “more.”
As a DD convertor, I didn’t notice it having a tremendous amount of influence on the sound. It simply passed through what it was being given. As a DAC, it was a bit thinner and sharper sounding than I am used to gear sounding from iFi, but again, for its price and use case, it is totally fine. Again, not for a reference system, but certainly ok for other uses. Not every piece of gear has to be top of the line, and its always neat to see a manufacturer coming up with other ideas and trying new things in the more affordable “entry level” market space.

screen-shot-2021-06-29-at-11.45.20-am.png
ZenDac with ZenStream
Overall, the ZenBlue does what is says on the tin. It is an affordable, handy, and simple bluetooth receiver. Its not the best DAC I have ever heard, and bluetooth itself is a limiting factor, but within those boundaries, the ZenBlue actually works very well. If this is the sort of thing you have been looking for, and you feel it fits your use case, then I would recommend it highly. If it doesn’t, I would certainly check on the ZenDac, or again, the new ZenStream 🙂

Jun 30, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #444 of 493
img_1722-2.jpg
Simple, but effective
Hi Guys,

Todays review will be a bit shorter than normal as the piece of gear we are talking about is actually quite simple. The iFi Audio ZenBlue. The ZenBlue is a member of iFi’s slowly expanding Zen Range, and has the same form factor as the rest of the line. It offers a up very simple functionality as a bluetooth receiver and DAC. There is no volume control, headphone amp, XBASS or 3D features. There is one button on the front to pair with a device, and one on the back to switch from a Digital to Digital function, or use the internal DAC and operate via RCA outputs. You can also use a 4.4mm balanced pentaconn output on the rear, either to connect to another member of the Zen series (which makes sense) or a 4.4mm to dual 3pin XLR into an amp. The problem with that is pentagon to dual 3pin XLR cables will cost almost as much or more than the ZenBlue itself, so perhaps not the economical way to do things.

The ZenBlue is very simple in how it works. You screw in a short antenna which comes in the box, and plug it into the 5v included DC power brick. You then decide if you want to use it as a DD convertor into whichever DAC you prefer, or as a DAC itself using its RCA outputs. You then press the pair button on the front of the unit, which makes it searchable, and then on the device of your choosing, you pair with the ZenBlue. Thats it. Totally easy, totally simple.

img_1723-2.jpg

I initially tried the ZenBlue as a DD converter into my Rockna Wavelight DAC. This worked well, and there was no latency between selecting songs on my computer, and hearing them come out my headphones or speakers. The same can be said for when I tried it as a DAC directly into my Kinki EX-M1 integrated amp.

Bluetooth as a technology does limit you to less than lossless levels of transmission. As far as I understand, it currently cannot transfer losslessly regardless of the CODEC you use. I did a bit of research and it seems that 320kbps mp3’s or the equivalent in other file formats are the best it can manage. Now, I personally don’t believe the difference between a 320kpbs mp3 and lossless is that big. The difference can be hard to hear, but there is certainly a slight difference, especially with material you are familiar with. With all that being said, as lossless streaming is becoming more and more common, and more and more affordable, I can’t recommend the ZenBlue for someone who is going for ultimate sound quality. Perhaps iFi’s newly announced ZenStream would be a better choice for those people. However, if you need an affordable, small, transportable DAC package that does bluetooth, maybe for a secondary non reference system, or in the kitchen for listening to tunes while you cook, or something similar, the ZenBlue would be perfect.

screen-shot-2021-06-29-at-11.45.35-am.png
iFi’s new ZenStream, worth consideration for those who need “more.”
As a DD convertor, I didn’t notice it having a tremendous amount of influence on the sound. It simply passed through what it was being given. As a DAC, it was a bit thinner and sharper sounding than I am used to gear sounding from iFi, but again, for its price and use case, it is totally fine. Again, not for a reference system, but certainly ok for other uses. Not every piece of gear has to be top of the line, and its always neat to see a manufacturer coming up with other ideas and trying new things in the more affordable “entry level” market space.

screen-shot-2021-06-29-at-11.45.20-am.png
ZenDac with ZenStream
Overall, the ZenBlue does what is says on the tin. It is an affordable, handy, and simple bluetooth receiver. Its not the best DAC I have ever heard, and bluetooth itself is a limiting factor, but within those boundaries, the ZenBlue actually works very well. If this is the sort of thing you have been looking for, and you feel it fits your use case, then I would recommend it highly. If it doesn’t, I would certainly check on the ZenDac, or again, the new ZenStream 🙂

Thanks a lot, lovely work :heart_eyes:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 30, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #445 of 493
Come join iFi audio on our newly soft-launched Discord server!

Here’s an invite link, let me know if you need a new one: iFi audio

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions, and drop an introduction once you join!

Thanks,

-Seb

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #446 of 493
Hi - Bought an iFi ZB a few days ago. Works wonderfully with phone, but I'd prefer to stream from laptop. Unfortunately there are incessant dropouts. Not that it matters - but it's a recent HP 17 inch laptop, with Intel bluetooth adapter and wifi adapter - all drivers updated to most recent possible. I do have a support ticket in. The IZB also has the latest .12 fware installed.

My question is when the iFi is discovered/added as a bluetooth device, it's assigned a generic MS bluetooth driver ... How does one assign a different driver? And does anyone know what I can substitute for the generic driver? TIA for any tips, and apologies for what is probably a basic question.

Jul 5, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #447 of 493
Seem to have solved the issue. Updated all drivers multiple times (and installed Dell/Intel codec for APTX support - which seems to work, although APTX-LL does not). However - for future reference in case anyone else has problems - my issue appears to be wi-fi interference on 2.4 Mhz (which I run for better in-house performance). Switched my home wireless networks to 5 Ghz and the issue seems to have cleared. My wireless router is one floor up, almost directly over the ifi ZB, so that might have had something to do with it as well. At any rate - leaving this info here in case it helps anyone else.

Jul 16, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #448 of 493
When toggling the analogue/ digital switch to change between analogue and digital output, is it also necessary to switch off & switch on the Zen Blue v1? I just want to check this is normal behaviour.

Edit: Never mind..I've contact support 🙂

TIA

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #449 of 493
Hi - Bought an iFi ZB a few days ago. Works wonderfully with phone, but I'd prefer to stream from laptop. Unfortunately there are incessant dropouts. Not that it matters - but it's a recent HP 17 inch laptop, with Intel bluetooth adapter and wifi adapter - all drivers updated to most recent possible. I do have a support ticket in. The IZB also has the latest .12 fware installed.

My question is when the iFi is discovered/added as a bluetooth device, it's assigned a generic MS bluetooth driver ... How does one assign a different driver? And does anyone know what I can substitute for the generic driver? TIA for any tips, and apologies for what is probably a basic question.

Seem to have solved the issue. Updated all drivers multiple times (and installed Dell/Intel codec for APTX support - which seems to work, although APTX-LL does not). However - for future reference in case anyone else has problems - my issue appears to be wi-fi interference on 2.4 Mhz (which I run for better in-house performance). Switched my home wireless networks to 5 Ghz and the issue seems to have cleared. My wireless router is one floor up, almost directly over the ifi ZB, so that might have had something to do with it as well. At any rate - leaving this info here in case it helps anyone else.

Glad to hear you got it sorted yourself, and thanks for updating everyone here!

When toggling the analogue/ digital switch to change between analogue and digital output, is it also necessary to switch off & switch on the Zen Blue v1? I just want to check this is normal behaviour.

Edit: Never mind..I've contact support 🙂

TIA

Let us know if there is anything we can do for you here too.

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #450 of 493
Let us know if there is anything we can do for you here too.
Hi, actually there is something:

My previous v1 stayed on permanently when playing music. With the new v2, it shows the codec colour for about a second before going off and staying off. Is that as it should be? It has the lastest v2 firmware. Many thanks...

Edit: it's been confirmed a fault.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back