iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Aug 2, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #2,356 of 2,511
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 17, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #2,357 of 2,511
Good evening folks,

Just had this lovely piece of kit delivered today, and loving it so far as its replacing my Ztella. Only issues I have so far with the upgrade have been:

#1 Tidal will quit if I use the DAC with it. I can live with that until they fix it as I have UAPP with the MQA plugin
#2 Using it has caused some minor hitches with audio in UAPP. Just need to tweak some settings and almost have those eliminated.
#3 Picked up the IFI OTG cable to use with it, but I didnt expect its length to cause issues for portability when attaching to my phone. Some careful placement should be ok, though the stress on the connections is a little concerning.

Looking foreward to playing with this more.

Aug 21, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #2,358 of 2,511
Good evening folks,

Just had this lovely piece of kit delivered today, and loving it so far as its replacing my Ztella. Only issues I have so far with the upgrade have been:

#1 Tidal will quit if I use the DAC with it. I can live with that until they fix it as I have UAPP with the MQA plugin
#2 Using it has caused some minor hitches with audio in UAPP. Just need to tweak some settings and almost have those eliminated.
#3 Picked up the IFI OTG cable to use with it, but I didnt expect its length to cause issues for portability when attaching to my phone. Some careful placement should be ok, though the stress on the connections is a little concerning.

Looking foreward to playing with this more.

No hard feelings if you decide to use another cable that's more fitting for your setup!

The issues with Tidal and UAPP are indeed unfortunately app related.

Let us know what you continue to think about it as you get more time with it.

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #2,359 of 2,511
Sep 15, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #2,360 of 2,511
Sep 26, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #2,361 of 2,511
Gamechanger in the office we are super excited about! Nintendo finally adds Bluetooth audio to the Switch in a new software update!
This got me wondering if I should upgrade firmware from 5.2 to 5.3/5.3c if there are optimizations to the Bluetooth implementation in the two years between those firmware releases.

I have been running my xDSD on 5.2 because I didn’t want MQA (5.3) or the GTO filter (5.3c). I don’t use DoP256 or 768kHz PCM (provided only in 5.2 firmware) but I liked the old Listen and Measure filters iFi provided before all this MQA stuff (p.s., glad to see the Go Blu doesn’t support MQA, I guess it has the GTO filter though).

But, are there USB and Bluetooth optimizations I’m missing by running firmware from 2016 when there are two newer versions from 2018, or are the newer releases just for the MQA and GTO stuff? In fact, I‘ve been maybe fooling myself, but I always believed the 5.2 firmware sounded better to me than the others (I moslty listen to FLAC 24/44.1 up to 24/192) due to my filter preferences, but now I’m thinking maybe there were other software tweaks that I’m ignoring.

Thoughts? Anyone feel free to chime in. Anyone else on Firmware 5.2?

Cheers,
Gus

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #2,362 of 2,511
Gamechanger in the office we are super excited about! Nintendo finally adds Bluetooth audio to the Switch in a new software update!

And more reason for me to grab a Switch, personally!

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/14/22674704/nintendo-switch-bluetooth-audio-software-update
Yes they did, but it is ONLY SBC audio. The homespot and other USBC transmitters transmit APTX and APTX LL, which the XDSD does and IMO the ginger audio sounds better transmitted through those devices as opposed to just through the Switch bluetooth audio

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #2,363 of 2,511
Yes they did, but it is ONLY SBC audio. The homespot and other USBC transmitters transmit APTX and APTX LL, which the XDSD does and IMO the ginger audio sounds better transmitted through those devices as opposed to just through the Switch bluetooth audio
Can you explain a little more? I'm a novice on this topic of Switch and Bluetooth audio codecs. For an xDSD owner with a switch, what are you getting it?

Sep 27, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #2,364 of 2,511
Can you explain a little more? I'm a novice on this topic of Switch and Bluetooth audio codecs. For an xDSD owner with a switch, what are you getting it?
Look up Homespot dongle or Skull & Co dongle. These plug directly into USB c port of Switch. These enable the USB C low latency that is in the XDSD. It sounds far better than the basic SBC bluetooth audio that the Switch uses itself. APT X LL is a better quality codec and virtually no delay whatsoever. The dongle is like $30. Worth it

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #2,365 of 2,511

Look up Homespot dongle or Skull & Co dongle. These plug directly into USB c port of Switch. These enable the USB C low latency that is in the XDSD. It sounds far better than the basic SBC bluetooth audio that the Switch uses itself. APT X LL is a better quality codec and virtually no delay whatsoever. The dongle is like $30. Worth it

The Switch also recently had a BT update that the xDSD works great with!

You can also looks the Creative BT-BW3 for another handy USB C option I use.

Oct 4, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #2,367 of 2,511
Hey y'all just wanted to ask if ifi xdsd and xcan have been discontinued?...... When can i expect a new refresh? @iFi audio

Unfortunately, we can't confirm nor deny any new products until after they have been launched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back