iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
May 7, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #481 of 2,506
I don't find the Mojo to sound congested, it has a very centered image, and slighty warm sound, but never sounds congested with my (many) IEMs.

I have not heard other iFi products, but the Mojo sounds quite liquid to me, and not articial. In any case, the xDSD sounds clearly different, sligthly thinner, and also wider and airier, but not more natural. The Mojo sounds slightly warmer.
Sometimes I wonder how natural sounding can be quantified.

I play and tune my own piano so I know what a natural piano sounds like. But my perception of natural is from a performer's perspective, not a listener's perspective. Sound decays over distance so the perception of natural will differ for the listener.

Some like the sound to simulate the feel of attending a performance but some like to be in the performance as if they're one of the performers. Personally I prefer the latter which tends to favor a thinner and more neutral sound.

May 7, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #482 of 2,506
I don't find the Mojo to sound congested, it has a very centered image, and slighty warm sound, but never sounds congested with my (many) IEMs.

I have not heard other iFi products, but the Mojo sounds quite liquid to me, and not articial. In any case, the xDSD sounds clearly different, sligthly thinner, and also wider and airier, but not more natural. The Mojo sounds slightly warmer.
This pretty much clarifies it to me. But are you talking about the xDSD wireless or wired?

May 8, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #485 of 2,506
Just got my xDSD today. Only tested with a couple of cans so far. Initially I had some problems connecting via the USB port (BT was just fine), but I did the million monkeys thing and touched every possible button and plugged and unplugged everything in every possible combination and low and behold there was sound, and it was glorious!

Will post some impressions in the next few days. Going to take this and some of my headphones to work to get the impression of some of my colleagues tomorrow. Should be fun!

May 8, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #486 of 2,506
From listening to it on a few IEMs and some headphones, I can definitely say it makes the music more spacious. I really enjoyed these with the HD660S and the B400.
But I also feel the periphery is lacking in energy (farther sounds seem to lack oomph and dissipate too quickly). Anyone else experience this?

May 8, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #489 of 2,506
From listening to it on a few IEMs and some headphones, I can definitely say it makes the music more spacious. I really enjoyed these with the HD660S and the B400.
But I also feel the periphery is lacking in energy (farther sounds seem to lack oomph and dissipate too quickly). Anyone else experience this?

On the back of KaiserTK's posted question, I'm using an AK70 Mkii (no coax nor optical out) playing flac with a pair of IE80S iem's (with FiiO RC-IE8B balanced cable) when out and about and it's (to my ears) a wonderful combination, but for home listening I prefer listening with OE's and have a pair of Sennheiser HD660S with CustomCans litz copper cable on a 3.5mm jack. The AK70 doesn't power the HD660S very well, so I've added a FiiO A5 which works as a short term fix but I'm not convinced that it's the perfect marriage, would the headphones perform better with a better headamp or is their performance limited by the AK70 itself.

So I was wondering if replacing the A5 (purely an amp) with a DAC/Amp such as the xDSD improve their performance or should I wait for the headphone amp version launch. Having said that I'm not concerned about bluetooth as I'm a luddite who prefers getting tangled up in wires, also size/dimensions aren't critical as I only listen to the HD660S at home so it just has to be battery powered and portable within that environment (I mention this as I'm still considering a ifi Black Label option)

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #490 of 2,506
Would this be an improvement over the Audioengine B1 Bluetooth receiver? I use the Audioengine to stream from my phone or computer to a nice Linn-based system. The Bluetooth works very well, and the DAC is supposedly pretty good. Would the new XDSD be an upgrade, or is it really intended for headphone applications?

May 9, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #491 of 2,506
Would this be an improvement over the Audioengine B1 Bluetooth receiver? I use the Audioengine to stream from my phone or computer to a nice Linn-based system. The Bluetooth works very well, and the DAC is supposedly pretty good. Would the new XDSD be an upgrade, or is it really intended for headphone applications?
Seeing as the xDSD has a line out mode that bypasses the internal amplificsampl and is then used solely as a DAC, I would say the device is definitely not JUST for headphone use

May 10, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #492 of 2,506
20180510_200615.jpg
20180510_195838.jpg
20180510_195957.jpg

Attachments

• 20180510_195818.jpg
    20180510_195818.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
May 10, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #493 of 2,506
On the back of KaiserTK's posted question, I'm using an AK70 Mkii (no coax nor optical out) playing flac with a pair of IE80S iem's (with FiiO RC-IE8B balanced cable) when out and about and it's (to my ears) a wonderful combination, but for home listening I prefer listening with OE's and have a pair of Sennheiser HD660S with CustomCans litz copper cable on a 3.5mm jack. The AK70 doesn't power the HD660S very well, so I've added a FiiO A5 which works as a short term fix but I'm not convinced that it's the perfect marriage, would the headphones perform better with a better headamp or is their performance limited by the AK70 itself.

So I was wondering if replacing the A5 (purely an amp) with a DAC/Amp such as the xDSD improve their performance or should I wait for the headphone amp version launch. Having said that I'm not concerned about bluetooth as I'm a luddite who prefers getting tangled up in wires, also size/dimensions aren't critical as I only listen to the HD660S at home so it just has to be battery powered and portable within that environment (I mention this as I'm still considering a ifi Black Label option)

Screw it, I've opted for safe and just ordered the Micro iDSD BL instead (from Futureshop UK), will just have to get some bigger pockets

May 10, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #494 of 2,506
I just received the xDSD from Amazon. Great sound from my initial tests!
I noticed mine arrived with several micro scratches on the front plate, and top/bottom metallic sides. The plastic part is perfect. Do you have the same problem?
You have to look at it with the right light inclination to see them...

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #495 of 2,506
Screw it, I've opted for safe and just ordered the Micro iDSD BL instead (from Futureshop UK), will just have to get some bigger pockets
The BL sounds like anything I've heard so far. Competing with the Chord Hugo 2 and even beating it in some aspects. It's the safer bet, yes. Anyways, I would love to hear the xDSD, since I would prefer to use Bluetooth outdoors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back