iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Apr 12, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #181 of 2,505
Micro iDSD BL does not have S-Balanced, but nano iDSD BL has. But the biggest difference between micro iDSD BL and xDSD is the amplifier power. xDSD is about twice as powerful as nano iDSD BL but no where near the micro iDSD BL power, especially in Turbo mode. That being said, xDSD drives Grado GH2 and Ultrasone Edition 15 perfectly fine. With Audio Technica ADX5000 (420 ohms), sometimes the volume needs to go more than 90% mark (red color). And I feel that the ADX5000 is not driven at its full potential (just my subjective impression). YMMV
Thanks for the reply. I’ll probably mostly use either device for IEMs, so if the differences are mostly amplifier power, guess I should give xDSD a serious listen.

But it seems xDSD doesn’t have eco mode and iEMatch built in, so I wonder whether the optimal volume range is more limited, compared with the micro? When I use IEMs I sometimes listen at very low volume, so the minimum optimal volume (without any channel balance/ low noise floor) is a big concern.

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #182 of 2,505
Just rendering my video review now, but while I wait...

Only limitation I found so far is the amplifier power, which is not powerful enough to drive high impedance or low efficiency cans.

I had no trouble with high-impedance headphones. They require less power if anything. Low efficiency cans, indeed. It does a pretty good job with the MrSpeakers Aeon though, which are low impedance and somewhat inefficient.

The shape is odd for a portable solution. Looks like it would stack horribly.

They include pre-cut strips of something that isn't velcro to make it easy to stack.

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #183 of 2,505
I had no trouble with high-impedance headphones. They require less power if anything. Low efficiency cans, indeed. It does a pretty good job with the MrSpeakers Aeon though, which are low impedance and somewhat inefficient.
I previously posted:
With Audio Technica ADX5000 (420 ohms), sometimes the volume needs to go more than 90% mark (red color). And I feel that the ADX5000 is not driven at its full potential (just my subjective impression).
ADX5000 is rated at 100 dB/mW, which is not so inefficient. Then why I’m having this problem?? Maybe I’m pushing them too hard?

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #184 of 2,505
I previously posted:

ADX5000 is rated at 100 dB/mW, which is not so inefficient. Then why I’m having this problem?? Maybe I’m pushing them too hard?
What is the impedance rating?

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #185 of 2,505
Apr 12, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #186 of 2,505
They include pre-cut strips of something that isn't velcro to make it easy to stack.

Yeah the included strips are very similar to 3M Dual lock rather than hook n loop style strips

I previously posted:

Remember that open back headphones usually require more power than a closed back that has the same sensitivity

What is the impedance rating?
Impedance doesn't matter much, I've found the sensitivity to play a much bigger role. The HD660S, for example, might have half the impedance of the HD650, but the 660S didn't require me to only turn the volume pot half way., as their sensitivities are quite similar

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #187 of 2,505
As in my quoted post in the previous post, it is rated as 420 ohms.
Ah, I didn't see that. My mistake.

420ohms and 100dB/mW is quite inefficient. In comparison, a HD800 is 300ohms 102dB/mW.

Then again, you could just be a loud listener like me.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #188 of 2,505

Giraku said:
With Audio Technica ADX5000 (420 ohms), sometimes the volume needs to go more than 90% mark (red color).

I think you are confusing gain and power. If there was a power issue, you get clear sound stage compression when listening. A lack of volume indicates that the gain is too low for the headphones. :)

Edit: Review.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #189 of 2,505
very interested in the xDSD. I hope it reaches local store soon as I can't wait to pick one up.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #190 of 2,505
I think you are confusing gain and power. If there was a power issue, you get clear sound stage compression when listening. A lack of volume indicates that the gain is too low for the headphones. :)
I think the problems are both slightly compressed presentation and lack of volume. That's why I think xDSD does not have enough "overall" power to drive cans like ADX5000. Klipsch Heritage amp, AK ACRO L1000, and Hugo 2 do not have these problems with ADX5000. Hence I think they have enough driving power.
As I mentioned before, xDSD drives beautifully other cans like Grado GH2, Ultrasone Edition 15, and Klipsch HP3. xDSD is designed as a portable device anyway. It's probably not designed for big cans like ADX5000. I tested its drivability purely from curiosity, certainly not to criticize xDSD. I love this small wonder.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #191 of 2,505
Power vs gain? Is it amp capability vs loudness?

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #192 of 2,505
4204F3BC-CCFE-4F50-9537-69B92CF9EA2C.jpeg
The shape is odd for a portable solution. Looks like it would stack horribly.

These are what included in the package.

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #193 of 2,505
I think the problems are both slightly compressed presentation and lack of volume. That's why I think xDSD does not have enough "overall" power to drive cans like ADX5000. Klipsch Heritage amp, AK ACRO L1000, and Hugo 2 do not have these problems with ADX5000. Hence I think they have enough driving power.
As I mentioned before, xDSD drives beautifully other cans like Grado GH2, Ultrasone Edition 15, and Klipsch HP3. xDSD is designed as a portable device anyway. It's probably not designed for big cans like ADX5000. I tested its drivability purely from curiosity, certainly not to criticize xDSD. I love this small wonder.

Fair enough. I don't have any headphones here over 300 Ohms and I haven't tried the Audio Technicas yet. I'm contemplating whether or not I'll bring it to the Tokyo show at the end of the month and try it with some other headphones.

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #194 of 2,505
Fair enough. I don't have any headphones here over 300 Ohms and I haven't tried the Audio Technicas yet. I'm contemplating whether or not I'll bring it to the Tokyo show at the end of the month and try it with some other headphones.
Oh, that would be wonderful if you test it there. Looking forward to hearing what you find in Tokyo.

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #195 of 2,505
I previously posted:

If we normalise 1mW/420 ohm to dB/1V we get 96dB/1V. This is slightly on the low side, compared to, say, the Sennheiser HD820 at 103dB/1V but not as low as Hifiman HE-6 (90dB/1V).

Hence it is normal to turn the volume high up to have enough drive for a 96dB/1V headphone, just as it is normal to turn the volume very low for a 128dB/1V IEM.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back