iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Apr 13, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #196 of 2,505
I'm considering switching from the micro to this unit. I used the micro as a portable unit for a few months but in the end I grew tired of carrying this brick in my bag wherever I go.

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #197 of 2,505
Thanks for the reply. I’ll probably mostly use either device for IEMs, so if the differences are mostly amplifier power, guess I should give xDSD a serious listen.

But it seems xDSD doesn’t have eco mode and iEMatch built in, so I wonder whether the optimal volume range is more limited, compared with the micro? When I use IEMs I sometimes listen at very low volume, so the minimum optimal volume (without any channel balance/ low noise floor) is a big concern.
There is no channel imbalance in the xDSD and the noise floor is extremely low.

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #198 of 2,505
Hmm, should i return my fiio q5 and get this?

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #200 of 2,505
Lol true dat i got wat u mean

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #202 of 2,505
But it seems xDSD doesn’t have eco mode and iEMatch built in, so I wonder whether the optimal volume range is more limited, compared with the micro? When I use IEMs I sometimes listen at very low volume, so the minimum optimal volume (without any channel balance/ low noise floor) is a big concern.
I tested xDSD with 64 Audio Tia Fourte and U18t and found no problem driving them, although they are not super sensitive type of IEMs.

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #203 of 2,505
There is no channel imbalance in the xDSD and the noise floor is extremely low.

I tested xDSD with 64 Audio Tia Fourte and U18t and found no problem driving them, although they are not super sensitive type of IEMs.

Thank you. I heard that the micro has some channel imbalance before 9 o'clock, though you could always switch the power mode or turn on the iEMatch to fix it; since the xDSD has the same analog volume control but doesn't have different power modes or iEMatch as far as I know, I was a bit concerned about pairing it with high sensitivity IEMs, but it looks like it works pretty OK for both of you.

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #204 of 2,505
Thank you. I heard that the micro has some channel imbalance before 9 o'clock, though you could always switch the power mode or turn on the iEMatch to fix it; since the xDSD has the same analog volume control but doesn't have different power modes or iEMatch as far as I know, I was a bit concerned about pairing it with high sensitivity IEMs, but it looks like it works pretty OK for both of you.
No, I did not experience any channel imbalance when I turned it down to blue volume (less than 18%), though as the volume was so low it was a bit difficult to listen. I'm a loud listener.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #205 of 2,505
Thank you. I heard that the micro has some channel imbalance before 9 o'clock, though you could always switch the power mode or turn on the iEMatch to fix it; since the xDSD has the same analog volume control ...

No, it doesn't!

As has already been said, the xDSD features an analogue stepped attenuator chip controlled by pulses from the volume knob. The micro iDSD uses a traditional rotary pot.

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #206 of 2,505
No, it doesn't!

As has already been said, the xDSD features an analogue stepped attenuator chip controlled by pulses from the volume knob. The micro iDSD uses a traditional rotary pot.

Indeed! I was just reading the tech notes of xDSD from iFi site, which describes the new volume control system:

NEW VOLUME CONTROL SYSTEM BEHIND THE ‘CYBERDRIVE’

In short, we developed a new ‘the best of both worlds’ solution - a completely digitally controlled process merged with attenuation itself done in the analogue domain. Both power mode switching and volume level are combined in one rotary control, which means the xDSD transparently and evenly adapts power modes as the volume setting is adjusted.

This means that while the volume control operates like a digital control system, every ‘Bit’ of resolution is retained like an analogue volume control. (Digital volume controls built-into DAC chips lose resolution at lower listening levels).

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #207 of 2,505
So the volume control itself is analog but it is controlled digitally, so in theory itcshould be possible to control it over usb.

In theory... there is no difference between theory and practice:ksc75smile:.

On a more serious note, integrating xDSD's volume control with a PC's volume control via USB is not advisable, as there is no feedback mechanism that allows the latter to be synced to the internal device volume.

So a PC overrides local volume on plugin (quite possibly to 100%), disallows the on-device volume control to turn the volume down and only setting volume via this PC will work.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 13, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #208 of 2,505
But it seems xDSD doesn’t have eco mode and iEMatch built in

Instead of iEMatch, we've included our proprietary 'Cyberdrive' circuitry for amplification/volume/power supply. In effect alternatives for eco mode and iEMatch are built-in and engaged automatically when the volume is lowered far enough.

so I wonder whether the optimal volume range is more limited, compared with the micro? When I use IEMs I sometimes listen at very low volume, so the minimum optimal volume (without any channel balance/ low noise floor) is a big concern.

The volume control has a range of 101dB selectable in 1dB steps with precise volume matching between left and right. If turned slowly via single ticks, volume adjustment will work in 1dB steps and if done very fast (full turn) a 44dB step will occur.

The highest sensible volume setting with a maximum level digital signal will produce around 3.8V into 300 ohm headphones (around 115dB SPL with Sennheiser HD820), while a setting at -50dB (directly in the middle of the adjustment range) will produce 0.012V with IEM's (or 90dB SPL with a Shure SE-535). So ALMOST any headphone and IEM should be accommodated.

xDSD's amplifier noise floor equivalent of eco mode is low enough that even with super sensitive BA IEM's (at 128dB/1V) the background noise is a mere whisper as quiet or quieter than most quiet rooms.

So only the most out of this world sensitive IEM's would need iEMatch. We elected to leave this function out for ease of use. If the noise from the xDSD proves still too high, you can always add either Earbuddy or iEMatch to your IEMs at a fairly modest cost.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 13, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #209 of 2,505
Thank you, @iFi audio, for the detailed explanation about the volume. This is great to accommodate wide range of HPs and IEMs. But at the same time, dynamic range suitable for either sensitive IEMs or power hungry HPs is rather small. For example, my ADX5000 (420 ohms, 100 dB/mW) needs red volume level (>=91%), which means only 10% of adjustable range. For the next version, please bring back a gain hi / lo switch. Nonetheless, this is a technical marvel. It's similar to Mojo in size but sounds closer to Hugo 2. Great product, iFi!!!

Apr 13, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #210 of 2,505
Thank you, @iFi audio, for the detailed explanation about the volume. This is great to accommodate wide range of HPs and IEMs. But at the same time, dynamic range suitable for either sensitive IEMs or power hungry HPs is rather small. For example, my ADX5000 (420 ohms, 100 dB/mW) needs red volume level (>=91%), which means only 10% of adjustable range. For the next version, please bring back a gain hi / lo switch. Nonetheless, this is a technical marvel. It's similar to Mojo in size but sounds closer to Hugo 2. Great product, iFi!!!
Are the steps too big? ie it's too quiet and the next one too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back