iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Aug 29, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #1,788 of 2,506
Yes, I completely agree! I opened a ticket late last night on iFi's website, and they responded by late morning today. FANTASTIC!! :L3000:

They put a lot of effort to make everyone happy, so it's nice that folks in here appreciate this. Big thanks on behalf of our support line!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 30, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #1,789 of 2,506
This probably was answered before - but could someone help me with getting MQA rendering on desktop app in Win10? Whatever I do the led is still green. I have the Passthrough MQA option on.

EDIT: got it sorted

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #1,790 of 2,506
Hi All Fellow head-fi IfI Xdsd owners. I need a little help. First off this device is so entertaining and fun to use. The silence level background with finely articulated notes is astounding. It's really very entertaining to listen to each instrument on such a wide soundstage. I've never experienced this level of listening ever. I love it! I'm currently using my Philips Fidelio X2HR and they are amazing!
I never really believed burn in on DAC's and such was a relevant thing. Headphones yes I believe. No placebo effect there. However I definitely experienced it with the xDSD. After about 60-80 hours I feel like the unit has better overall all around performance. Certainly with high res pcm files, and MQA.
So please enlighten me in this regard:
I am using the xDSD mainly on a Note 9. I was informed by tech support for another nameless DAC that UAPP is very important. I was told to use UAPP to bypass any Android internals. The UAPP app picks up all the pieces, so to speak, and pushes it out to my USB input OTG on Note 9. That was the proper way to listen.
I find that it is mostly true, troubling is the occasional cut outside less than nano second while playing MQA only.
Today I used the OTG to the xDSD without using UAPP. I had success with Master playback, or so it seems. I noticed that Master playback is the "thing" with Tidal direct OTG. I did not find MQA really available, just full on playback of Master quality tracks. It is very enjoyable that way as well.
My question...Do I need to use UAPP for MQA files or can I simply bypass that with better sounding Master tracks via OTG from the xDSD to my Note 9. I had no blips whatsoever that way. Please fellow Head-fi experts, tell me what is the best route to go and why. I really need some easy to follow help. I watched the iFI video fir MQA playback and it was straight OTG no UAPP. Master tracks as it was explained, played as the MASTER logo lit up a tan brown color in Tidal, as demonstrated in the video. Please give me any help, input regarding the best way to playback Tidal Bit Perfect files via OTG.
A Huge Thank You In Advance!

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #1,792 of 2,506
Hi All Fellow head-fi IfI Xdsd owners. I need a little help. First off this device is so entertaining and fun to use. The silence level background with finely articulated notes is astounding. It's really very entertaining to listen to each instrument on such a wide soundstage. I've never experienced this level of listening ever. I love it! I'm currently using my Philips Fidelio X2HR and they are amazing!
I never really believed burn in on DAC's and such was a relevant thing. Headphones yes I believe. No placebo effect there. However I definitely experienced it with the xDSD. After about 60-80 hours I feel like the unit has better overall all around performance. Certainly with high res pcm files, and MQA.
So please enlighten me in this regard:
I am using the xDSD mainly on a Note 9. I was informed by tech support for another nameless DAC that UAPP is very important. I was told to use UAPP to bypass any Android internals. The UAPP app picks up all the pieces, so to speak, and pushes it out to my USB input OTG on Note 9. That was the proper way to listen.
I find that it is mostly true, troubling is the occasional cut outside less than nano second while playing MQA only.
Today I used the OTG to the xDSD without using UAPP. I had success with Master playback, or so it seems. I noticed that Master playback is the "thing" with Tidal direct OTG. I did not find MQA really available, just full on playback of Master quality tracks. It is very enjoyable that way as well.
My question...Do I need to use UAPP for MQA files or can I simply bypass that with better sounding Master tracks via OTG from the xDSD to my Note 9. I had no blips whatsoever that way. Please fellow Head-fi experts, tell me what is the best route to go and why. I really need some easy to follow help. I watched the iFI video fir MQA playback and it was straight OTG no UAPP. Master tracks as it was explained, played as the MASTER logo lit up a tan brown color in Tidal, as demonstrated in the video. Please give me any help, input regarding the best way to playback Tidal Bit Perfect files via OTG.
A Huge Thank You In Advance!

Much like Bitperfect or Audirvana, UAPP simply forces the audio to bypass the device's internal signal processing, allowing for higher bit/sample rate files to be processed natively by the DAC. If you like the UAPP player keep using it. It really matters not what player you use for MQA, as long as MQA is being received and decoded properly by the xDSD. :metal::sunglasses:

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #1,794 of 2,506
Yes UAPP has many positive qualities. I just installed Poweramp Trial. Plays DSD files beautifully. Tells me its playing to the xDSD and how as well. Very nice but no Tidal support .

To put forth an alternative, try Neutron. Like Poweramp, it has no Tidal support but handle everything else like a champ, and to my ears produced the best sounding audio out there.

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #1,795 of 2,506
Hey guy i just recently got Tidal to compare with Spotify and am using the XDSD with my HEX v2. The problem i'm noticing is that the KHZ led is always green no matter if i play spotify or masters setting in Tidal which means i'm only streaming low quality, does anyone know why this is as i thought the KHZ Led will change to reflect the higher format being streamed.

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #1,796 of 2,506
Hey guy i just recently got Tidal to compare with Spotify and am using the XDSD with my HEX v2. The problem i'm noticing is that the KHZ led is always green no matter if i play spotify or masters setting in Tidal which means i'm only streaming low quality, does anyone know why this is as i thought the KHZ Led will change to reflect the higher format being streamed.

What's your source? :thinking:

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #1,797 of 2,506
With UAPP app, and xDSD via OTG, I am getting full MQA playback. Color led turns to magenta, a purple red. With the Tidal app I am streaming Master Quality so really it's the same. Also I am using latest firmware 5.30 which enables MQA. 5.20 is PCM only. Both really amazing. Poweramp is amazing too O am trying it out now for last hour or so. PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back