iFi audio xCAN - The Official Thread
Apr 18, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #721 of 757
Gryphon is worse than Xcan+decent dac?

It would depend on a DAC really, but as an all-in-one package xDSD Gryphon isn't easy to beat :wink:

@Sebastien Chiu
Can you answer the above, please?

Our xBass implementations are roughly in the same ballpark as far as bass quantity goes.

The xcan has a great Dac and an amazing amp section. The xdsd has a more elegant dac section but misses a bit of bite for my beloved sennheiser headphones 58x-6xx.

Our xCAN was designed to be primarily a powerful headphone amp with a nice DAC and wireless input, while xDSD was designed as a wireless DAC in the first place. The former will thus work better with headphones that need more power to get going, so what you wrote in your post is in line with how these two products were made, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 18, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #722 of 757
BT xcan is straight up low res.

Gryphon is worse than Xcan+decent dac?
The Gryphon is better for sure as a contained package. My xCAN is packed up somewhere right now otherwise I'd AB it for you.
I use my gryphon a lot when I'm doing chores around my house and mainly pairing it with my meze Liric. I didn't use my xCAN as much because I wasn't a fan of how the BT sounded.

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #723 of 757
The Gryphon is better for sure as a contained package. My xCAN is packed up somewhere right now otherwise I'd AB it for you.
I use my gryphon a lot when I'm doing chores around my house and mainly pairing it with my meze Liric. I didn't use my xCAN as much because I wasn't a fan of how the BT sounded.

Thanks! Glad you love the xDSD Gryphon + Meze Liric pairing. It's a pretty great one I've been able to try myself!

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #725 of 757
Max vol on DF,and the 3.5mm cable between

Apr 13, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #728 of 757
My 2 year old xcan has an issue with the 2,5mm output, it seems like the plug isn’t connecting properly. Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to send it in to get it fixed?

Apr 13, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #729 of 757
My 2 year old xcan has an issue with the 2,5mm output, it seems like the plug isn’t connecting properly. Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to send it in to get it fixed?
You'll likely need to send it in. I tried fixing and reinforcing mine but it was pretty flimsy and needed precise soldering work. It worked for a while longer before breaking completely. I think something else got damaged in that process

Apr 13, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #731 of 757
On internet are pictures available of the print. There one can see the plug connections are not soldered too well.
I was considering to open it up and resolder direct after purshase as a precaution but didn't.
For me this turned out "well" because it proved the xCan isn't designed to cope the power my Sundara and the bluetooth/amp chip failed.
I got a refund and waited for a "2nd chance" Gryphon at this shop for a nice discount.

I like the sound of the xCan+Sandara when they are both new, but somehow I feel the base gain tends to be a tad to large and the midrange not as in front as I'd like.
I guess the Sundara has been broken in well because of this change in sound signature and now I could consider the XS as a proper cure if not I like IEM just slightly more.
Even on the Gryphon one can see the battery indicator will lose one bar when the volume is turned up loud on the Sundara. The xCan is less powerfull hence the blown chip.

Apr 14, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #732 of 757
It's been years and I still think xcan is the best portable source even i have been reviewing/testing a lot of dongles recently

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #733 of 757
Amazing device. I bought it after 1 hour of listening even having also the xdsd.

If someone is ok with Bluetooth this still is amazing and miles ahead from bluetooth devices like btr5,es100 etc.

I need to fix the balanced output though because I plan to use it as a separate amp sometime in the future. I made a mistake I did not send it for service back then but was coronavirus time and everything was cumbersome to be done.

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #734 of 757
Amazing device. I bought it after 1 hour of listening even having also the xdsd.

If someone is ok with Bluetooth this still is amazing and miles ahead from bluetooth devices like btr5,es100 etc.

I need to fix the balanced output though because I plan to use it as a separate amp sometime in the future. I made a mistake I did not send it for service back then but was coronavirus time and everything was cumbersome to be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back