iFi audio xCAN - The Official Thread
Oct 26, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #61 of 757
Looks plastic.

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #62 of 757
Plastic or metal volume knob?

If it's the same as the xDSD, it is plastic. Don't fret because from my personal experience, the knob is of very high quality plastic and I can't see it having any specific issues a metal know wouldn't have. The plastic looks and feels almost identical to the mouth piece of my vape unit, and I can safely tell you that after months of usage with my teeth bearing down and mashing upon the surface, it looks as new as the day I bought it. Plastic have come a very very long way, especially in the past 15 years. Just look at headphones; Mostly plastic. Chemistry FTW! Even the metal shell, despite being light weight and thin, seems like it can take a quite a beating. It is meant to be tossed into pockets, purses, and backpacks, even placed in a centre console try in a vehicle (and hopefully not launch itself out of my pocket when riding my bike... like my iPod touch has... many times... and I don't think anyone's going to be making a protective case for the xDSD. :sweat_smile:)

Then again, I may have a different tune after a year of using my xDSD. I doubt it though, iFi don't make crap!

:metal::sunglasses:

P.S. I am still on the fence as to request an xCAN for review or not. I would love to pair it up in full balanced mode with the xDSD and iPurifier3 and put it through it's paces and tell you guys how awesome the combination is, but I would probably want to keep it, and I probably would, and my wallet couldn't take the hit. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #64 of 757
So last night I listened with it using the bluetooth connection from phone for 5 straight hours. I could easily have listened for much longer , if I hadnt had to stop to walk my dogs. So good.

I know right?! After my wife went to bed at 11:00pm I threw on my 99 Classics, paired the xDSD to my iPod, and next thing I knew it was 4:00am! Like I said in my review, literally the best implementation of AAC Bluetooth I have ever experienced! And it was so nice having my iPod touch cord free as I navigated the songs.

Oh, and Bluetooth seems to draw less power than headphones, so that's an extra win for my iPod!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #65 of 757
I know right?! After my wife went to bed at 11:00pm I threw on my 99 Classics, paired the xDSD to my iPod, and next thing I knew it was 4:00am! Like I said in my review, literally the best implementation of AAC Bluetooth I have ever experienced! And it was so nice having my iPod touch cord free as I navigated the songs.

It's amazing. I was using APT-X with my Huawei Mate 20 Pro. Any headphone I've used with it just sounds awesome.

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #66 of 757
Why no APT-X HD? Most of the new Bluetooth devices are moving to APT-X HD. Isn't it more reasonable to use APT-X HD for balanced out?

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #68 of 757
Oct 27, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #74 of 757
If I remember it correctly, iCAN SE was sold around 300$. With iCAN SE no longer be seen at iFi website, I hope xCAN can have similar or better performance as iCAN SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back