iFi audio xCAN - The Official Thread
Oct 25, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #48 of 757
Even though both xDSD and xCAN have wireless receiver, headphone amp and DAC on-board, xDSD is superior as a DAC and xCAN is superior as an amp. Thus to maximize the effect xDSD should receive stream from i.e. your smartphone and do D/A conversion and then xCAN should take over and amplify.
If I'm only use BT from my phone, can you tell me if xDSD & xCAN have the exact same bluetooth quality ?

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #49 of 757
Even though both xDSD and xCAN have wireless receiver, headphone amp and DAC on-board, xDSD is superior as a DAC and xCAN is superior as an amp. Thus to maximize the effect xDSD should receive stream from i.e. your smartphone and do D/A conversion and then xCAN should take over and amplify.
Actually, I just wanna know if I could use 3.5TRRS-to-3.5TRRS as a LO from xDSD to xCAN?
Or we could only use 3.5TRS as the LO from xDSD.
Thank you.

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #50 of 757
Actually, I just wanna know if I could use 3.5TRRS-to-3.5TRRS as a LO from xDSD to xCAN?
Or we could only use 3.5TRS as the LO from xDSD.
Thank you.

+1.

Good question since the xCAN online manual says:

"Tip: We recommend the use of balanced input to take maximise the sound quality of the xCAN's balanced circuitry"

I assume the xCAN is able to convert SE input to balanced but the manual suggests that will limit performance. Am I correct in thinking a 3.5mm TRRS (for S-balanced) to 2.5mm cable is the best way to go? Is such a cable included with the xCAN (assuming it is designed to stack with the xDSD, similar to all of iFi's previous model lines)?

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #51 of 757

@iFi audio - I have the nano iDSD Black Label and have been thinking to upgrade to the xDSD... would that be a better idea to buy the xDSD or would it make more sense to get the xCAN and keep the nano iDSD Black Label and use it with the same configuration as you have suggested above? Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #53 of 757
Is the S-balanced basically for 3.5mm balanced cables?

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #55 of 757
Folks, our xCAN got just released. And we thought that you might be interested in giving this beast a go, so here's the opportunity:

We're always looking for new ways to engage with the community and allow those that have supported us for the past few years to get a chance to try out our new creations. If you have a genuine interest in testing and reviewing the new xCAN, no matter where you are along on your audio journey, we'd love to do what we can to make that happen! Please do not hesitate to reach out to Lawrance at lawrancel@ifi-audio.com

We look forward to hearing your feedback and we hope you guys enjoy our latest unit!

Also folks, for more details about the product itself, please take a look at the first post of this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-xcan-the-official-thread.891479/
Great news! Right after I got myself an iDAC2 (for the 2nd time). It will be an interesting comparison.

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #56 of 757
I will write more and review the Xcan shortly. I was expecting it to arrive next weekend, but it arrived today. I leave this one here. This is the "best "portable audio gadget I have bought. I have tested it with 3 pairs of headphones so far. Just so good. I have a pair of balanced armature IEMs that are really old from Sony, they sound terrible normally. Only a few devices have what it takes to power these properly, the Xcan is the only portable device. It's not just about the power, it the overall sound. I also thought the handwritten note saying congrats on being one of the first people from Amazon UK to buy it was a cool touch.

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #57 of 757
I will write more and review the Xcan shortly. I was expecting it to arrive next weekend, but it arrived today. I leave this one here. This is the "best "portable audio gadget I have bought. I have tested it with 3 pairs of headphones so far. Just so good. I have a pair of balanced armature IEMs that are really old from Sony, they sound terrible normally. Only a few devices have what it takes to power these properly, the Xcan is the only portable device. It's not just about the power, it the overall sound. I also thought the handwritten note saying congrats on being one of the first people from Amazon UK to buy it was a cool touch.

Hi Gavin! How ya been?

That's awesome! I might be trying out the xCAN as well. Got an e-mail back from Lawrence to discuss that or maybe the xDSD. Have to see. But either way, sounds like the xCAN is already a certified winner! :L3000:

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #58 of 757
Hi Gavin! How ya been?

That's awesome! I might be trying out the xCAN as well. Got an e-mail back from Lawrence to discuss that or maybe the xDSD. Have to see. But either way, sounds like the xCAN is already a certified winner! :L3000:

Hiya, all good here thanks. And you :)

Gobsmacked with the sound. Giving me headphones a good workout, removing any stiff joints lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back