iFi audio xCAN - The Official Thread
Mar 9, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #602 of 757
Does Ifi have plans to refresh this product with a 4.4mm balanced output?
I, unfortunately, don't know anything about that at this time.

For future reference, I also would not be able to share any sort of information until it was officially launched.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #604 of 757
Mar 12, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #605 of 757
I have a Zen Can for home use that I am very happy with. I am looking for a portable solution -- how does the xCan compare in terms of sound quality/size of soundstage/3D function? I'd be using it only as an amplifier. Similarly, if I can find the micro BL anywhere, how does its amplifier compare? I am aware that these products have DACs and differ in terms of power/size, I am only interested in the amplifier aspects.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #606 of 757
I have a Zen Can for home use that I am very happy with. I am looking for a portable solution -- how does the xCan compare in terms of sound quality/size of soundstage/3D function? I'd be using it only as an amplifier. Similarly, if I can find the micro BL anywhere, how does its amplifier compare? I am aware that these products have DACs and differ in terms of power/size, I am only interested in the amplifier aspects.

I'd say if you are having a great time with the Zen CAN, there's a good chance you're going to enjoy the xCAN just as much!

Soundwise, I'd describe the xCAN as being a little less on the warm and smooth side but very similar in terms of the rest of what you mentioned in terms of the functions.

Do you mean in the amp of the Micro BL vs the xCAN? The BL is still more powerful and has an additional use case scenario that you'll have to decide on in terms of functionality with Bluetooth vs no Bluetooth, etc.

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #607 of 757
I'd say if you are having a great time with the Zen CAN, there's a good chance you're going to enjoy the xCAN just as much!

Soundwise, I'd describe the xCAN as being a little less on the warm and smooth side but very similar in terms of the rest of what you mentioned in terms of the functions.

Do you mean in the amp of the Micro BL vs the xCAN? The BL is still more powerful and has an additional use case scenario that you'll have to decide on in terms of functionality with Bluetooth vs no Bluetooth, etc.

Great, thank you! I just ordered the xCan, possibly the last one on the B&H site as it is now marked as discontinued.

I do enjoy the analog sound shaping on the Zen Can — I tried many different digital implementations of crossfeed but none were remotely as natural sounding as the 3D button on the Ifi; it's especially effective for older recordings. Same for xBass. I hope Ifi doesn’t entirely step away from these features, they are not easy to replace.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #608 of 757
I hope Ifi doesn’t entirely step away from these features, they are not easy to replace.

We aren't at all! We know how much people like you enjoy them.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #609 of 757
It looks like the xCan has been discontinued. However, I think anyone considering this amp should look elsewhere. The balanced output on my unit failed after less than 10 uses. I’ve had an open ticket since 1/30/21 and sent iFi my amp for repair but can’t get a reply about its status. I get cryptic replies like “have you received the item yet?”. And yet I’ve received no tracking number or notification of shipping. This poor quality support has made it difficult to consider purchasing items from iFi again, which is disappointing as my other iFi gear has worked well. How many months should a repair reasonably take?

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #610 of 757
It looks like the xCan has been discontinued. However, I think anyone considering this amp should look elsewhere. The balanced output on my unit failed after less than 10 uses. I’ve had an open ticket since 1/30/21 and sent iFi my amp for repair but can’t get a reply about its status. I get cryptic replies like “have you received the item yet?”. And yet I’ve received no tracking number or notification of shipping. This poor quality support has made it difficult to consider purchasing items from iFi again, which is disappointing as my other iFi gear has worked well. How many months should a repair reasonably take?

It shouldn't take that long. We have 2 very active Ifi reps on head fi. Send a message to both of them and ask them to find out what is happening :). One of them has a post just above yours and you can easily find the other. I am 100% sure they will help you!

Mar 18, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #611 of 757

Can you please PM me your ticket number and location? So sorry this has been going on!

It shouldn't take that long. We have 2 very active Ifi reps on head fi. Send a message to both of them and ask them to find out what is happening :). One of them has a post just above yours and you can easily find the other. I am 100% sure they will help you!

Thank you!

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #612 of 757

Our team will be contacting you with updated tracking via your support ticket soon!

Mar 18, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #614 of 757
Thanks for the help. It looks like there was some mix up and now they are sending me a new amp.

Glad we could get it sorted for you!

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #615 of 757
I've had my xCan for a week now and am really enjoying it. I've paired it with the new L&P dongle (the W2) and the Focal Celestee. The xCan's xBass and 3D options really complement the Celestee and combined with the W2's digital filters, the possibilities are endless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back