iFi audio Pro iDSD Signature and Pro iCAN Signature - The Pro range just got better!
Apr 11, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #751 of 850
Great feedback, thank you! Very clearly stated. I'll wait for future updates.

In case you want to try it, I preffer the 18dB setting for the heaphone output. I think it provides more control of the HD800S. The filter I use is Transient Aligned. I preffer the Solid State output. I also use the 1024 remastering.
Definitely, I will try these settings out.

Apr 18, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #752 of 850
If I am going to buy this just to use it as a DAC. Is there much difference between the older version and the signature? or are they the same performance in the DAC mode?

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #753 of 850
If I am going to buy this just to use it as a DAC. Is there much difference between the older version and the signature? or are they the same performance in the DAC mode?
Gold stylings, hi grade low noise power brick, some upgraded internal parts (caps, resistors, etc) to lower noise floor and increase fidelity. The power supply on its own is a $300 msrp retail and can be purchase for the original if desired.

Is it worth the additional $750 worth it? It's a personal question.

I picked the latest and greatest. It's arriving tomorrow and so looking forward to audition.

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #754 of 850
I need some help regarding the BNC connectors on the iDSD Pro

Are they word clock or ??

CMA mentions they are word clock in his review.

Now Im really confused!
@iFi audio

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #755 of 850
@iFi audio Can you please confirm if the DAC perfomance is the same or upgraded on the signature compared to the older model.

Thanks!

Apr 19, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #756 of 850
Been with the Pro Signature for couple of hours now and the initial impressions are very positive. It's not Chord TT2 good on its own, but using the excellent OCK-2 10mhz Master clock for timing the signal, it transforms the character to be very similar.

It is a lot more versatile though as it has a built-in streamer and 16x upsampling.

It's the closest thing you can get to a dCS Lina in concept.

Attachments

• IMG_9302.JPG
    IMG_9302.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 23, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #757 of 850
I finally had some time with HD800s on iDSD. But unfortunately, for some other commitments, I ended up bringing iDSD to my office, and R26 back to home. So the following impression is based on iDSD → HD800s (C1) and iDSD → Burson Soloist 3XP → HD800s (C2). I will bring iDSD back home eventually and will come back here to give an update. Anyway, my thoughts on the aforementioned pairs.

The verdict comes first: I prefer C2, by a small but meaningful margin.

They both have ample power for HD800s. On middle gain with the volume set to about 40-45% on iDSD and 57 on 3XP, Hd800s got to a similar decimal on two chains. The first apparent difference is that the whole presentation, particularly the mids are more forward on C1, more laid-back and relaxed on C2. It is also noticeable that C2 had better control of mid-high frequencies. The details and resolution on both chains are very similar, but it sounds more polite, effortless and generally more pleasant on C2, whereas on C1, HD800s sounds more exciting and energetic but can be a tad shouty on some tracks. The bass is very similar on both chains, clean, fast not too much in quantity, this is a HD800s after all, you know the drill. And finally, because of the laid-back presentation, the sounds stage and the overall sense of space are definitely bigger on C2, but for some modern vocal-centric tracks, I actually prefer C1's intimate presentation, because HD800s already had a very wide sometimes spreading character, to balance it out definitely helps in tracks where you suppose to hear singers whispering into your ears.

To me, the overly bright and sometimes hissing highs on HD800s is the ONE thing I do not like about this can. So I definitely prefer a more controlled and laid-back presentation on C2. But if you like a mid-forward style of sound, then iDSD is definitely more fitting. That's my 2 cents on this. Mind me that these are very short and early impressions. I will update here if my mind changes along the way.

IMG_5619.JPG
Wow your hd800’s cable is nice. May I ask where you bought it? Tks

Apr 23, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #759 of 850
Wow your hd800’s cable is nice. May I ask where you bought it? Tks
Hi, it is a cheap-ass cable I got from Aliexpress. Here is the link. It sounds absolutely fine to my ear and seems to be well-made and well-designed.

Apr 23, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #760 of 850
Hi, it is a cheap-ass cable I got from Aliexpress. Here is the link. It sounds absolutely fine to my ear and seems to be well-made and well-designed.
It might be sold out because the link returns me to the home page of Aliexpress. I once bought a cable for my hd6xx for $10 on that market website too. And the cable felt and looked exactly the same as the stock cable (yeah the gold connectors are a little different but I bet noone can determine it). Extremely happy but after awhile I understood why it was so cheap: it sounded hazy. Anw tks for your reply. I am searching at other seller’s stores now.

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #761 of 850
It might be sold out because the link returns me to the home page of Aliexpress. I once bought a cable for my hd6xx for $10 on that market website too. And the cable felt and looked exactly the same as the stock cable (yeah the gold connectors are a little different but I bet noone can determine it). Extremely happy but after awhile I understood why it was so cheap: it sounded hazy. Anw tks for your reply. I am searching at other seller’s stores now.
Hi, it is weird. I can open it on my phone. I will check it when I get back. It is actually one of the more expansive cables from AliExpress. I bought it for 80cad, and when I sent you the link, it shows 60cad. It is advertised as an 7n occ silver plated cable and as I mentioned before, nothing to complain so far.

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #762 of 850
I received mine yesterday--sounds fantastic and remembers settings, unlike my previous non-signature model! I'm using the tube output, GTO filter, and DSD512 remastering. Do you folks use the balanced or unbalanced outs? I'm currently using the unbalanced.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #763 of 850
Hi I am an ifi fan with several products from ifi and have been a very happy user of pro ican signature which I use with flagship headphones from Denon and Audeze, but have two issues: the small glass window to show the tube inside went off and the line out has lots of distortions even when the DAC that feeds it is turned off.
4000-3000-max (8).jpg

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #764 of 850
Hi I am an ifi fan with several products from ifi and have been a very happy user of pro ican signature which I use with flagship headphones from Denon and Audeze, but have two issues: the small glass window to show the tube inside went off and the line out has lots of distortions even when the DAC that feeds it is turned off.
4000-3000-max (8).jpg
Tubes have short longevity. You can go to Ifi website to find info about the tube type and buy a new one to replace your death tube.

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #765 of 850
But weird there are still noise when it is set to SS and not tube though.

The tube window/cap has fallen inside the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back