iFi audio Pro iDSD (Official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.
Jan 2, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #1,456 of 2,186
Why? Have you noted some deficiency in sound? It’s somewhat like complaining you’d like to see better 3D graphics performance in a future update; I say somewhat, as 3D graphics rendering is an actual, real thing.

Are there any prosumer or pro equipment that does this? Ifi has created a true marvel in a small box that gives an unbelievable number of audio choices to the user in, more importantly, a high quality and relatively (compared to what an audiophile dac can cost) low cost manner.

You are complaining about something isn’t really fundamentally consistent with DSD and asking for an impossible solution to an imaginary question for reasons that can’t be quantified.

To clarify, I love my 4.4mm iDSD Pro, I think it could get even better by future firmware updates, so don't take what I said as a complain but rather healthy suggestions to further refine their top of the line product.

To stay on a technical discussion, from DSD to DSD x N, some implementations are PCM intermediate format, and some use more DSD like intermediate steps (Examples from HQPlayer and some ESS DAC chips), but the point is, iDSD Pro should have at lease given user the option of no (or minimal) filter (ie. bit perfect+) when doing such up conversion.

Jan 2, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #1,457 of 2,186
To clarify, I love my 4.4mm iDSD Pro, I think it could get even better by future firmware updates, so don't take what I said as a complain but rather healthy suggestions to further refine their top of the line product.

To stay on a technical discussion, from DSD to DSD x N, some implementations are PCM intermediate format, and some use more DSD like intermediate steps (Examples from HQPlayer and some ESS DAC chips), but the point is, iDSD Pro should have at lease given user the option of no (or minimal) filter (ie. bit perfect+) when doing such up conversion.

You initially asked for: “I'm of the same view and would like to see a direct DSD to DSD upsampling being implemented in future firmware update.”

ifi, rightfully, corrected you to clarify you are asking for something that doesn’t exist.

Now, you are asking for: “the point is, iDSD Pro should have at lease given user the option of no (or minimal) filter (ie. bit perfect+) when doing such up conversion.”

Ifi provides this: “
Each filter effects a different time-domain and frequency-domain performance. DSD remains completely unprocessed.
iii) DSD - Remastering
In this case incoming audio (except DSD512) is converted to either DSD512 or DSD1024 as selected, using the filter selected (including Bit-Perfect, meaning no digital filtering is applied).

You first wanted something non-existent and apparently aren’t satisfied with what ifi already provides. What are you looking to add, and what are you trying to fix by adding it?

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #1,458 of 2,186
You initially asked for: “I'm of the same view and would like to see a direct DSD to DSD upsampling being implemented in future firmware update.”

ifi, rightfully, corrected you to clarify you are asking for something that doesn’t exist.

Now, you are asking for: “the point is, iDSD Pro should have at lease given user the option of no (or minimal) filter (ie. bit perfect+) when doing such up conversion.”

Ifi provides this: “
Each filter effects a different time-domain and frequency-domain performance. DSD remains completely unprocessed.
iii) DSD - Remastering
In this case incoming audio (except DSD512) is converted to either DSD512 or DSD1024 as selected, using the filter selected (including Bit-Perfect, meaning no digital filtering is applied).

You first wanted something non-existent and apparently aren’t satisfied with what ifi already provides. What are you looking to add, and what are you trying to fix by adding it?

1) On DSD to DSD x N direct, I appreciate iFi's explanation and iFi also suggest, they will not comment on how other's implement their DSD conversion. If you have further insight on how HQPlayer or ESS9018,9028 DAC chips did their DSD conversion, I would be all ears, otherwise, let's stop here.

2) On DSD - Remastering, my 4.4mm iDSD Pro on latest firmware has the Bit-Perfect option only when doing PCM to DSD remastering, for DSD to DSD, BP or BP+ are not available. If you do have a unit, please verify.

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #1,459 of 2,186
1) On DSD to DSD x N direct, I appreciate iFi's explanation and iFi also suggest, they will not comment on how other's implement their DSD conversion. If you have further insight on how HQPlayer or ESS9018,9028 DAC chips did their DSD conversion, I would be all ears, otherwise, let's stop here.

2) On DSD - Remastering, my 4.4mm iDSD Pro on latest firmware has the Bit-Perfect option only when doing PCM to DSD remastering, for DSD to DSD, BP or BP+ are not available. If you do have a unit, please verify.

1. If I do know more about HQPlayers filtering or other settings for dsd than you, it would only be incidental due to spending a few hours reading all the posts I could find from the creator of HQP regarding the filters, noise shaping, and optimal settings a few weeks ago. At best, I’m 30 minutes of googling ahead of you I think we are in agreement.

2. To your point, I have only used SE with the pro. I sold the unit late last year (edit: I sold the unit in late 2018). I endeavored to keep the firmware up to date but do not remember the firmware version. It would have been something prior to 2.08. (I don’t recall if it was 2.01, which added mqa, as I never attempted to test mqa through tidal). I specifically went through the manual at the time and tried (if not briefly for some) every setting available to me (I.e., SE only and not balanced). I did not identify any discrepancies between the manual and unit itself. In fairness, I have never used a unit with 2.08 My apologies if this is the source of the discrepancy you are noting.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #1,460 of 2,186
The new year's beginning is traditionally the good resolutions' time. So, I've thought that the Ifi guys would be happy if I'd write a list to help them to keep theirs, about the "Pro" iDSD.

In 2017:
- Provide a decent player application, or at least provide instructions about how to choose and use the available decent applications (especially important for attached storage)
- Allow gapless playback with each input
- Allow to power off the wifi module
- Provide a clear and useful manual, with step by step instructions about how to set up and use the unit

In 2020:
- Make it Roon compatible
- Make the firmware upgradable straight from the network connection

For the mkII iteration:
- Keep the outstanding sound, the configurations galore and the (relatively) modest price
- Provide internal space for the insertion of an up to 6To HDD/SSD (like in the Auralic Altair G1)
- Use a better (less flimsy) RJ45 socket
- Make the many options (filters, upsampling, outputs, inputs...) remote controlable through a dedicated iOS/Android application
- Stop calling it "Pro", it sounds amateur
- And please finish it before you even think about selling it!

All the best for 2020.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #1,462 of 2,186
Please add to the previous list much better application other than MUZO!!!

I thought about it, but I wonder if it's necessary. Muzo is appalling, everybody agrees, but every other UPnP/DLNA application works. I used Bubble, Hifi Cast, mConnect, Neutron and some others, without any problem. The best sounding ones, in my audio system, being mConnect and Neutron. For me, the problem is that I must use Neutron if I want gapless playback with the Ethernet connection, and Neutron's ergonomics are questionable, to say the least.

Jan 5, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #1,464 of 2,186
I added several items to the list, also about the application thing.

Jan 5, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #1,465 of 2,186
It is very frustrating using MUZO with ALL songs in only one list with unknown artist under the songs name. I am talking about using iDSD from APP input and from USB flash/SDcard/external USB hard disk directly attached to device.

If you know ANY orher application where I can “see” USB flash etc.please tell me. I try all menshioned above but none of them can “see” attached USB flash.

Also, use mConnect with no problem when I want TIDAL MQA and from bridged ethernet connected Apple Mac mini + Minim server.

Jan 5, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #1,466 of 2,186
Unfortunately, I can't answer to your question. I tried attached storages, at the beginning, only to discover that this configuration wasn't really useable, and I decided to use a NAS instead.

Jan 5, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #1,467 of 2,186
Now that I better understand the problem, I set the application as the first item of the list.

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #1,468 of 2,186
In 2017:
- Provide a decent player application, or at least provide instructions about how to choose and use the available decent applications (especially important for attached storage)

Most if not all UPnP/DLNA applications work. In order to know how to set things up in one, you need to read its manual. We did something brief i.e. here for jriver:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...are-mqa-and-more.869144/page-20#post-14396981

In addition, other HF users left feedback on this subject in this thread.

- Allow gapless playback with each input

That's fair.

- Allow to power off the wifi module

Not sure if possible, but we're looking into this.

- Provide a clear and useful manual, with step by step instructions about how to set up and use the unit

There is the official one which extensively covers which knob/filter/dial does what.

In 2020:
- Make it Roon compatible

It's been Roon compatible for a good while, via a WIN based app (iFi Bridge), but it's done. Please see here:

- Make the firmware upgradable straight from the network connection

That's unlikely.

For the mkII iteration:

We don't do "mkII" iterations. If anything, Black Label versions.

- Keep the outstanding sound, the configurations galore and the (relatively) modest price

That's what we already did, didn't we?

- Provide internal space for the insertion of an up to 6To HDD/SSD (like in the Auralic Altair G1)

Please take a look at Pro iDSD's internals and tell us where exactly should we provide space for functionality you request, of course having on mind that the product's enclosure has to remain as is :L3000:

- Use a better (less flimsy) RJ45 socket

We had no complaints about it. Seriously, we haven't. You're the first one.

- Make the many options (filters, upsampling, outputs, inputs...) remote controlable through a dedicated iOS/Android application

That's not possible due to internal architecture.

- Stop calling it "Pro", it sounds amateur

The "Pro" name fits to a product equipped to be compatible with professional equipment. And Pro iDSD is very compatible with such hardware.

- And please finish it before you even think about selling it!

Pro iDSD is finished already. Once in a while we introduce new FW to squash some bugs and add extra layer of available options, but other than that, that's it.

All the best for 2020.

Likewise! :beerchug:

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 5, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #1,469 of 2,186
I like a lot your humour and your Правда style of communication. :ksc75smile:

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #1,470 of 2,186
I like a lot your humour and your Правда style of communication. :ksc75smile:

Thanks!

We enjoy interactions here and we do our best to calmly take any criticism. But at the same time we have to be vocal about what our products can and can't do. We think that's fair and we also believe that a bit of humor here or there won't hurt anyone :beerchug:

P.S. Thanks for your list as well!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back