iFi audio Pro iDSD (Official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.
Oct 24, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #646 of 2,185
If you're referring to my video, I had the filters confused. It's interesting trying the different filters. For example, I understand now why many people feel apodising filters sound good as the one in the Pro iDSD makes vocals and instruments sound more like what we imagine them to be. However, playing the 96k Decca recording of Julia Fischer - Sarasate in Bit Perfect mode also sounds quite natural. GTO sounds a bit flatter in presentation and the Transient Aligned filter is super-precise and seems to extract the most detail (by the slimmest of margins). Switching to DSD up-sampling, I get more of a sense of space as the notes from the violin seem to echo slightly, but I'm not sure if this is real (ie: background detail) or artificial. It's enjoyable to listen to though.

Thank you. I truly enjoy your videos and matter of fact reviews. Dare I ask: what’s your take on Hugo 2 vs Pro iDSD? Disregarding headphone amp qualities, just judging as DACs, disregarding price difference - when would you choose which?

Oct 26, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #647 of 2,185
I searched for an answer to my question, but couldn't find it. Sorry if this is a repost of the same topic. I have both the Pro iCAN & the Pro iDSD....what's the correct way to set up both of them when connected together....should they be matched (volume levels, settings, etc.)? IE - if I have the iCAN set at tube+, should the iDSD be set at tube+ as well? Oh....and another noob question: Is the volume level on the Pro iDSD irrelevant if I'm only using it as a DAC connected to the Pro iCAN? I asked a similar question to Auralic tech support, and they told me to keep the volume level at 100 on the Vega when connected to the Taurus MKII or other amps, BUT the Vega is a DAC only as opposed to the iDSD being a DAC/Amp combo. I just want to make sure I set things up correctly. I apologize for the noob questions. Thanks!

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #648 of 2,185
I don't think these are noob questions at all.

My recommendation:
1) Set the output mode on the Pro iDSD to "hifi fixed". It's the default setup, so should be like on the picture unless you changed it.
Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 01.26.54.png

2) I would recommend you do not use the tube / tube+ modes on the iDSD. Leave using this setting for the iCan only. If you use it on both, you will get too much distortion. But by all means, if you like tube+, try it out, let your ears be the judge.
3) Leave the iDSD volume on minimum. It does actually not matter (as you have set the output mode to fixed anyway), but I find the "volume memory" function irritating, it moves the volume to zero when turning off, and then back up when turning on. Feels like it's done just because the fancy volume knob can do that :) I don't see the point. Just leave it on minimum and you minimise the start up / turn off time and noise..

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #649 of 2,185
AHA! Now THAT'S some handy info. Yah...I've never actually used tube+ on the iCAN, so I won't be using it in the iDSD either. I haven't even hooked up the iDSD yet...just got it and wanted to ask questions before I delve in....So many questions (SORRY!). If I understand correctly, do you recommend leaving the iDSD in Solid State at all times and only changing between the three modes (SS, Tube, Tube+) on the iCAN to suit my taste? I'm assuming the gain doesn't matter on the iDSD in DAC (Hifi Fixed) mode, correct? I normally listen via USB from my PC, so I'm curious which filter setting you think would be the best between Direct, PCM Upsampling (with GTO filter?) or DSD remastering...and on that last one...does that only remaster DSD or does it upsample PCM to DSD quality as well? Lastly...what way of listening is most preferred for SQ between connecting to a PC via USB or inserting a memory card loaded with music and using the app? I'm sorry...when I see knowledge displayed I MUST ASK!! :)

Oct 27, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #650 of 2,185
AHA! Now THAT'S some handy info. Yah...I've never actually used tube+ on the iCAN, so I won't be using it in the iDSD either. I haven't even hooked up the iDSD yet...just got it and wanted to ask questions before I delve in....So many questions (SORRY!). If I understand correctly, do you recommend leaving the iDSD in Solid State at all times and only changing between the three modes (SS, Tube, Tube+) on the iCAN to suit my taste? I'm assuming the gain doesn't matter on the iDSD in DAC (Hifi Fixed) mode, correct? I normally listen via USB from my PC, so I'm curious which filter setting you think would be the best between Direct, PCM Upsampling (with GTO filter?) or DSD remastering...and on that last one...does that only remaster DSD or does it upsample PCM to DSD quality as well? Lastly...what way of listening is most preferred for SQ between connecting to a PC via USB or inserting a memory card loaded with music and using the app? I'm sorry...when I see knowledge displayed I MUST ASK!! :)

Happy to help :) more thoughts below..

"If I understand correctly, do you recommend leaving the iDSD in Solid State at all times and only changing between the three modes (SS, Tube, Tube+) on the iCAN to suit my taste?" Yes, that's my thinking.

"I'm assuming the gain doesn't matter on the iDSD in DAC (Hifi Fixed) mode, correct?" Correct, the gain only matters when a headphone is plugged into the iDSD, and it only influences output gain on the headphone out.

"I normally listen via USB from my PC, so I'm curious which filter setting you think would be the best between Direct, PCM Upsampling (with GTO filter?) or DSD remastering..." There is no "best" setup, that is both the magic and curse of the Pro iDSD. It's magic because you can change the sound to your liking. It's a curse because what you like depends on what music you play, how your mood is, if your ears are tired or in super power mode after a good night's sleep, and what your brain tells you at that moment.. Maybe it's best to write down a few combinations and then switch between them if you feel like it. For example:
Filter / DSD remaster / Amp setting (if you use iDSD + iCan change the amp mode on iCan only)
1) TA / 1024 / Tube+ => sparse arrangements, classic music, voice-focused: brings out very emotional voices, a lot of treble and mid detail, and has the "large hall sound", similar to a concert hall. I find listening to Leonard Cohen's albums with this setting very enchanting. For other music with more instruments it might be too much "echo effect" and too forward.
2) BP / off / Tube => I call this the "what hifi mode" as this is their choice; works for most music, is very neutral with a hint of warmth from the tube amp.
3) BP+ / 512 / Tube => somewhere between 1 & 2, if you can't decide :)

"and on that last one...does that only remaster DSD or does it upsample PCM to DSD quality as well? " DSD remaster works for PCM signals.

"Lastly...what way of listening is most preferred for SQ between connecting to a PC via USB or inserting a memory card loaded with music and using the app? " I prefer USB as I am using Roon.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #651 of 2,185
Thank you. I truly enjoy your videos and matter of fact reviews. Dare I ask: what’s your take on Hugo 2 vs Pro iDSD? Disregarding headphone amp qualities, just judging as DACs, disregarding price difference - when would you choose which?

I'd like to know what currawong and others who have had extended time with both products feel which is the better product. I have thought about upgrading my hugo 2 to the Hugo tt2 and maybe the m scaler down the road, but I'm always open to alternative products especially ones that are more affordable and possibly better.

What stands out to me is that you don't see used units of these for sale while the Hugo 2 has had a lot of them for sale. I know that there are more Hugo 2 units out there so there will be more used units for sale, but it looks like a much higher percentage of people who buys the pro idsd keeps them.

Oct 27, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #652 of 2,185
I'd like to know what currawong and others who have had extended time with both products feel which is the better product. I have thought about upgrading my hugo 2 to the Hugo tt2 and maybe the m scaler down the road, but I'm always open to alternative products especially ones that are more affordable and possibly better.

What stands out to me is that you don't see used units of these for sale while the Hugo 2 has had a lot of them for sale. I know that there are more Hugo 2 units out there so there will be more used units for sale, but it looks like a much higher percentage of people who buys the pro idsd keeps them.

I think in the end you will have to listen to it to see if you prefer to Hugo 2. Reasons why you might prefer it: Tube / Tube+ modes. This is the main sound shaper really. The filters / DSD upsampling are also good to shape the sound but these effects are more subtle. Reasons why you might prefer Hugo 2: you like your sound analytical and clean, rather than organic and warm. But these are just words. Nothing beats a listen. Try to A/B if you can. @gordec has compared to Qutest and has clearly favoured Pro iDSD. But many reviewers regard the Hugo 2 higher, and the Qutest sounds almost like the Hugo 2. As both are similar in rank (compared to £500 DACs and £10k DACs at least), it is in the end a personal preference.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #655 of 2,185
What settings are you using for 16/44 content?

Are you using the IDSD for streaming?

Oct 27, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #656 of 2,185
What settings are you using for 16/44 content?

Are you using the IDSD for streaming?
I use it for 16/44 files of my CD collection from an iMac via USB to iDSD, and also streaming Tidal files. Both works very well. My preferred settings for all formats are:
Filter / DSD remaster / Amp setting
TA / 1024 / Tube+ : this basically upsamples to max PCM and then to DSD. The effects as I hear them are: TA filter brings lots of detail, especially in trebles. The Tube+ boosts voices. Without DSD upsampling it sounds now a little too harsh. DSD upsampling puts a layer of silk and delicacy above it all. If it was a car I'd say the TA and Tube+ make a formula one racing car, screaming and full of power. It will make leonard cohen sound like he took drugs and is jamming with axl rose. The DSD conversion now adds luxury leather and all bells and whistles of a luxury car. In the end you have a Bentley, refined and comfortable, but you know you have a V12 bi-turbo when you put your foot down :) now axl went back to slash, and cohen is singing "you want it darker" in a church, wearing a black tie suit and has 5 pool dancers singing "sha-la-la-la" in the background. so is this all "natural and as the engineer intended"? screw no. but it is so much fun. at the end of the day you need to choose if you want to be that guy having small talk with a sound engineer at a party full of hot girls, or chat to one of the girls and dance. luckily with the 45 settings of the iDSD you can be jekyll and hyde. boring, natural, or fun.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #660 of 2,185
Hi Alainde....that's a totally subjective question, since it really depends on your preference. I've heard both and totally prefer the iDSD, which seems warmer, less analytical and more musical if that makes sense. I have a hunch you might ask 100 people and get 100 different answers...that's just how it is with this hobby. If using the Hugo 2 as a DAC only with a great amp pairing, I might have a different opinion, as the DAC section in the Hugo 2 is really something special. Always go with your own ears rather than with other people's opinions...you'll end up with the best every time. My end game (which is always changing, so it's not really an end game...lol) is currently an Auralic Vega + Pro iCAN, but that might change as soon as I hook up the iDSD and play with the filter settings. My solution to your dilemma is "BUY THEM ALL" and hope you're still married at the end of the day. SWEET! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back