iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Mar 31, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #1,771 of 2,063
They all have analogue volume control.

There is a separate iEMatch available. It just plugs in between the headphone and the iDSD.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-iematch/

Thank you, I totally missed this accesory, really interesting.

Regarding the analog volume of Nano, I remember that I contacted with the store and they contacted with ifi, and they said that the volume was some kind of hybrid volume, in fact, I could listen to the "internal steps" perfectly.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,772 of 2,063
[COLOR=1F497D]We use a chip that combines differential input, volume control and an Amplifier all on one Chip. This volume control is similar to that in the Abbingdon Music Research AM-777.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=1F497D]The iDSD, at FULL volume, has NO resistors remaining in series with the volume control.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=1F497D]The volume works for both RCAs and Headphones. So it is a type of small pre-amp. Or turn to full volume and there will be no more resistors in the chain. Eat and cake![/COLOR]

I've found one post in this thread which talks about the volume control.

Sounds like a digitally-controlled analogue volume control to me.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,774 of 2,063
guys, what do you think is a better choice:

IFI nano idsd + ifi nano ican or

just Ifi micro idsd

That's easy. The micro iDSD is the clear choice there. Better sound. Better battery life. More features. More power.

Jun 28, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #1,775 of 2,063
That's easy. The micro iDSD is the clear choice there. Better sound. Better battery life. More features. More power.

Sound quality wise we believe so as well. Still, it all comes down to personal needs, i.e. pocket space available etc. Hence in our eyes the Nano range isn't a case lost against iDSD BL on every field out there :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 31, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #1,777 of 2,063
I get ifi idsd le but i advice,stay away from it. Mine had worked for 1 hour, and it seem the battery won t charge anymore. Big dissapointment. Especially if i think about drb or dfr, has no battery and has not such a problem.

Aug 9, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #1,778 of 2,063
Last Friday, I switched to a desktop computer with Windows 10 at my secret non-home location. Every time I've tried to access the iFi drivers page (or indeed any page on the iFi site), I've gotten an endlessly static progress bar beneath the following sentence in festive italics:

We are busy updating the website for you and will be back shortly.

High above the text and bar, a seemingly arbitrary count appears:

2days 4hours 30minutes​

Is everyone getting this and, if so, what's up with the iFi audio site?

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #1,779 of 2,063
Last Friday, I switched to a desktop computer with Windows 10 at my secret non-home location. Every time I've tried to access the iFi drivers page (or indeed any page on the iFi site), I've gotten an endlessly static progress bar beneath the following sentence in festive italics:

We are busy updating the website for you and will be back shortly.

High above the text and bar, a seemingly arbitrary count appears:

2days 4hours 30minutes​

Is everyone getting this and, if so, what's up with the iFi audio site?

As it says, ifi is updating their site. Let's wait!

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #1,780 of 2,063
As it says, ifi is updating their site. Let's wait!

Thanks for the vigorous response.

Normally, site updates don't take over a week, hence my question posed to the at public large. Hey, there, large public at.

It's a diagnostic question, which I hope didn't appear to be an impatient expostulation. Fellow Trilobite Lodge members will attest to my zero-impatience-tolerance policy. (Hurry the hell up and regain your composure, you reckless foonts!)

If the issue is the site and not my access, so be it. I wanted to be certain that the hiccup (urp!) had nothing to do with my IT-saddled setup. Restricted permissions can result in various kinds of dead pages -- even maintenance pages -- depending on a site's defaults.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #1,782 of 2,063

Normally, site updates don't take over a week, hence my question posed to the at public large. Hey, there, large public at.

It's a diagnostic question, which I hope didn't appear to be an impatient expostulation. Fellow Trilobite Lodge members will attest to my zero-impatience-tolerance policy. (Hurry the hell up and regain your composure, you reckless foonts!)

If the issue is the site and not my access, so be it. I wanted to be certain that the hiccup (urp!) had nothing to do with my IT-saddled setup. Restricted permissions can result in various kinds of dead pages -- even maintenance pages -- depending on a site's defaults.

If you hit the More button on the bottom of the splash page and then the back button it does take you into the site. I don't know how accurate or up to date the site that it resolves to is but it is slow.

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #1,784 of 2,063

That's what I have been saying but instead I got personal attacked by various people.

I believe (my guess) is their server crashed and lost the latest backup. Hence it is now on the "older" website after 2 weeks.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #1,785 of 2,063
I'm not concerned about listening to headphones and speakers at the same time. That isn't the concern. From the response above, it does sound like iFi has put quite a bit of thought into the issue.

If I am understanding things correctly, it is necessary to set the volume control of the iDSD on maximum to get the proper output from the RCA outs. Apparently, this is 1.8V. That is a little less than what seems to be the accepted standard of 2.0V, although in reality, I don't think a standard really exists. That means that the user must have a more powerful speaker amplifier to obtain the same results than if the output was 2.0V, because the speaker amplifier is receiving a slightly weaker signal than what I would call normal.

It also means the user must constantly remember to unplug their headphones from the the iDSD when switching from headphones to speakers and vice versa. If one wishes to use their speakers, it will be necessary to turn the volume control on the iDSD to max to obtain 1.8V output through the RCA jacks, which is probably at best on the low side. Doing this without unplugging headphones (or while wearing headphones) means that the iDSD headphone amplifier will now be outputting the maximum headphone volume it can output.

Anyone who left their headphones plugged into the iDSD on their last listening session must not forget to unplug them before setting the iDSD volume to maximum in order to use their speakers.

I had the same concern here since my another Denon DAC's RCA output not affected by its volume control. So I googled and found your postings as well as ifi's response. I completely understood the concern since people always try to avoid double amplifying the signal, and I agreed that it seems necessary to push volume to max for a RCA output to skip "Stepped Attenuator".

Anyway It's a very good question and it got a good answer. It's good for the owner to better understand how the product works. Just completely did NOT understand why people like kugino kept giving very mean responses... If they were hired to attack customers in this way, I would feel very bad for the company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back