iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Sep 24, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #841 of 2,063
Well received my IFI Nano IDSD today and it's going back today too. Can't get it to work properly and that's not because I don't know how to set it up. Never had trouble with any gear. Seller said it was a USB 3.0 problem on my Macbook and had to update the firmware. So went to my brother to use his Windows computer to update the firmware to the latest one. Well that doesn't work either. Followed all the steps on the IFI website but it just stays put at firmware 3.3 no matter how often I press Start. It is a common problem too, seeing as it's mentioned on the guide at the IFI website.

Could be a great product, but if it comes with USB 3.0 problems and the firmware can't update it's a no go for me. I could go to a different Windows computer and try it there but it already sucked all the fun out of it for me. It also worries me a bit for the future if I have to update again since I do not own a Windows computer myself. 

I hate myself for getting a iPad Connection Kit to use it with my iPhone before I got the Nano IDSD. What a waste of money and time this was. 

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #842 of 2,063
Just send it back to the audio dealer and they offered to send me a Nano IDSD where they will manually install the newest firmware on. Not sure if I'm gonna take their offer yet but their service is very good. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #845 of 2,063
Make sure you are running the update with admin's right. Also, remove any other USB device before updating.

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #846 of 2,063
Yeah did all that, worked in IT so I know a little bit about computers. But it's already been send back and they will send me a copy with the new firmware. To be honest everything with my Mac is plug n play except for this one and you need to go to a Windows computer to update the firmware. Well I don't have a Windows PC so I had to go to my brother. Feels a bit unfinished to say the least. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #847 of 2,063
  Yeah did all that, worked in IT so I know a little bit about computers. But it's already been send back and they will send me a copy with the new firmware. To be honest everything with my Mac is plug n play except for this one and you need to go to a Windows computer to update the firmware. Well I don't have a Windows PC so I had to go to my brother. Feels a bit unfinished to say the least. 

It's not uncommon to have to update the firmware on a DAC (most often via Windows), and most would say that iFi, their dealer network, and other users in these forums are very supportive in helping you get sorted.

As for unfinished - would you also say that PS Audio with their expensive Directstream DAC, which is receiving regular firmware updates to tweak it's algorithms and sound, is an unfinished article? It's all relative I would say.

In the case of the nano and the latest micro iDSD, I'm grateful that iFI is not just selling and forgetting, but is working to keep the products humming right along.

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #848 of 2,063

It's not uncommon to have to update the firmware on a DAC (most often via Windows), and most would say that iFi, their dealer network, and other users in these forums are very supportive in helping you get sorted.

As for unfinished - would you also say that PS Audio with their expensive Directstream DAC, which is receiving regular firmware updates to tweak it's algorithms and sound, is an unfinished article? It's all relative I would say.

In the case of the nano and the latest micro iDSD, I'm grateful that iFI is not just selling and forgetting, but is working to keep the products humming right along.

Sure but if I'm buying a DAC that is Mac supported and they say it's plug and play without any drivers and I have to download something via Windows first to get it to work it's an unfinished product no matter how you put it. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #850 of 2,063

Hopefully the replacement the send you works properly. I've only had mine a few weeks but it's a pleasure to listen through.

Dealer got the unit back today and will fix it tomorrow and then send it back to me. I could also get my money back but if it works (and the sound is good of course) this will be a great little dac/amp for me. I can use it as a portable with my phone around the house and with my Macbook Air at the desk. Plus it's future proof which is nice. Don't listen to DSD right now but you never know :wink: Will probably also buy a Little Dot I+ as an amp with my Grado RS1i. That is, as soon as I can find one. 
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #852 of 2,063
Got mine from
  Getting a new copy tomorrow with firmware 4.0.2 preinstalled. 

Fingers crossed. got mine from http://artsexcellence.com/, great service.

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #854 of 2,063
I got my Nano a couple days ago, and it worked fine until this morning. I was able to play all sample rates and DSD. This morning there was no analog output. The computer still recogizes the Nano and the light on the Nano correctly indicates the type of file being played. There's just complete silence out the headphone out or the RCA's. Any ideas?

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #855 of 2,063
  I got my Nano a couple days ago, and it worked fine until this morning. I was able to play all sample rates and DSD. This morning there was no analog output. The computer still recogizes the Nano and the light on the Nano correctly indicates the type of file being played. There's just complete silence out the headphone out or the RCA's. Any ideas?

I've had the same thing with my Schiit Modi. On other computers it worked fine. Try a other computer to see if it works. What kind of computer/laptop are you using it with?

Could be a cable or your USB port can't handle the power needed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back