iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
May 5, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #451 of 2,063
  I can verify that the firmware update worked on my MacBook Pro 2013.  I updated using Parallels and I'm good to go!

PB

Thanks for the confirmation.  Order placed.

May 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #453 of 2,063
  I can verify that the firmware update worked on my MacBook Pro 2013.  I updated using Parallels and I'm good to go!

PB

Wow that interesting. I would think that using Parallels is using Win drivers on the new chipset that Mac was using did not cause a problem. Just curious what was the underlining issue was.

May 5, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #454 of 2,063
The issue for my nano was the nano firmware - updating the nano firmware with beta firmware the iFi folks sent to me solved all the USB issues on my MacBook Pro.

Wow that interesting. I would think that using Parallels is using Win drivers on the new chipset that Mac was using did not cause a problem. Just curious what was the underlining issue was.

May 5, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #455 of 2,063
The point that I was making the issue was not with the hardware chipset itself but the new Mac driver for the new chipset that broke the backward compatibility for the USB3 port for many third party vendors. A different Mac driver update could maybe fix the issue but in this case it was the third party vendors like IFI to fix.  Glad it is working for you.

May 5, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #456 of 2,063
Yeah, apple may work out some of the driver issues in a future update. Parallels had the same issue my mac had with the Nano, but connecting through a USB2 hub allowed me to successfully update the firmware. I had always been able to use the Nano on my MacBook Pro retina using a hub, but caring around a hub wasn't the best solution.

The point that I was making the issue was not with the hardware chipset itself but the new Mac driver for the new chipset that broke the backward compatibility for the USB3 port for many third party vendors. A different Mac driver update could maybe fix the issue but in this case it was the third party vendors like IFI to fix.  Glad it is working for you.

May 6, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #457 of 2,063

Hi

The majority of iDSD customers have USB 2.0 ports and/or have another version of USB 3.0 of course have not enquired about this update.

Of course you may. You only have to ask to test the beta and we shall email it to you. We have to track and do this on a case-by-case basis.

So if you email tech@ifi-audio.com one of our guys would be more than glad to send you the beta.

At the moment, it is passing all the tests with PCs and Macs out there with this particular port.

It does require Win PC and USB 2.0 port (of course). So Mac users do need access to a Win PC for this firmware update. Or BootCamp or Parallel.

Also, dont worry about being past the 30-day period. All iFi retailers have and will support 100% their customers on this.

Emailed Tech guys, got a quick response. installed the ifi driver on a usb 2 machine and it took seconds to flash the idsd.  Works like a charm on my usb 3 only HP laptop now.  Thanks!

May 7, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #458 of 2,063
After reading some impressions of the iDSD, I think I have to buy the thing. Paired with my XPA-1 driven Spires I cannot wait to crank up some good DSD tracks :) 

But the question, the nano or wait for the micro, hmmmm

May 8, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #459 of 2,063
  After reading some impressions of the iDSD, I think I have to buy the thing. Paired with my XPA-1 driven Spires I cannot wait to crank up some good DSD tracks :) 

But the question, the nano or wait for the micro, hmmmm

Personally, I would get the nano and see if you like it. I had the same idea with the Schiit products and waited for the Gungnir. Start with the less expensive and if you like it, work your way up.

May 9, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #460 of 2,063
There was a comparison some time ago on polish website between Herus and iDSD. Here is translated snippet:

Herus, this equipment is class itself, putting the smoothness of media saturation and wider than the resolution musicality and dynamics. Playing wide and deep, nicely glued space in front of the listener into a whole, is in this respect multidimensional . Sound of Herus is slightly dimmed, though adequately clear. It is fact that there is some other more detail-oriented equipment out there, but the school to which this midget from Resonessence Labs attended, is pretty darn consistent. Someone constructing this thing knew exactly to which subscribe it. Just listening to it draws you in so much like a swamp if you tried to walk through it, and it's surprising that such a little thing can play so astonishing.

And what is the story with iDSD? Maybe I'll start by saying that it is another very positive surprise, this product certainly stands out beyond mediocrity and the flatness of media and exaggerated detail that is so common these days. So, therefore, it should be understood that iDSD is musical equipment, giving you just the fun of listening, regardless of how vague that statement sounds. But compared to Herus it has more of detail in the transmission and is a bit more dynamic, I can also hear that the sound is more resolved, selective.

http://blog.pclab.pl/violator/Recenzja.iFi.Audio.iDSD-ma%C5%82e.graj%C4%85ce.co%C5%9B.4,384
Translated by http://translate.google.com with little edit from my side - I know it's not perfect.

I wonder how would iDSD compare to Concero HD :rolleyes: Tough it is huge difference of price :wink:

May 9, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #461 of 2,063
Placed the order the nano yesterday. After reading all the reviews this thing should pair perfectly with my XPA-1's and Spires. The extra detail and quick response from the electrostats should shine :D

May 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #462 of 2,063
  Placed the order the nano yesterday. After reading all the reviews this thing should pair perfectly with my XPA-1's and Spires. The extra detail and quick response from the electrostats should shine :D

I think you'll be happy with it with the above kit. Its nice to just listen to music and not be thinking about the next tweak/upgrade.

May 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #463 of 2,063
Received my iDSD Nano last night (thank you Music Direct for Fedexing it to me).  Flashed the firmware with the beta driver.  Set up JRMC to bitstream DSD and all I can say is it's fantastic.  The level of detail extraction is fantastic with DSD material and normal PCM is very, very good.  I'm running this on a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina with the effected USB 3.0 ports and the new firmware just plain works.  I wish the instruction card or the website had more information, not that it's difficult to set up, I'd just like more information on what the colors mean on the LED.

May 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #464 of 2,063
   -  not that it's difficult to set up, I'd just like more information on what the colors mean on the LED.

You should have got a little 'card' in the box. It folds out and has all the colors and what they mean.

One other thing I found out - the internal battery needs some good amps to charge fully and in a reasonable length of time. I use my Sony 10AH CycleEnergy battery to charge it. I outputs up to 3.6 amps at 5V.

May 10, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #465 of 2,063
I got the iDSD nano two days ago and it does not work on the USB 3.0 ports of my Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop!
Fortunatelly the coputer has USB 2.0 ports also, so I can use the DAC.. Do I need to update the firmaware to the beta or I can wait untill it is released? 
Does it give better sound???

Thnx in advance!!!

I guess that the firmware won't affect the synergy with Mac's.? I have a late 2009 mac mini (USB 2.0 only)... May be silly question but... : ) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back