iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Jan 16, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #61 of 2,063
  anywhere else to buy this in the USA other than music direct? they show a 4-6 week wait...might as just wait for my geek out if i have to wait that long. how long ago did you guys wait for yours...assuming you're in the US. thanks.

I pre-ordered in early January with a shop in The Netherlands and received today - I was lucky that the entire process was only slightly more than a week.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #62 of 2,063
You guys should feel fortunate, as even though iFi are a British company, UK purchasers are STILL waiting for their Nano units. As it appears that there's been a staggered release worldwide with us Brits last in line. Ho hum. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
  I pre-ordered in early January with a shop in The Netherlands and received today - I was lucky that the entire process was only slightly more than a week.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #63 of 2,063
A few more early comments on the iFi Nano iDSD...

It really likes to be connected with a split usb cable to either battery power or the iFi iUSBPower - this really brought a satisfying smoothness to the sound compared to connection by regular usb cable.

It was seamless to connect to the iPhone 5S using the ONKYO HF app - now if it was only possible to stream hires music from the cloud to this app on the iPhone!

Only complaints so far - soundstage depth and height is maybe restricted as compared to my usual setup, maybe this will change over time. Sound is maybe slightly less warm or liquid compared to what I was used to, and this may also change.

These comments are for output through speakers (so looking at the DAC aspect mostly), am curious now how things will be with headphones to see how it does as an amp.

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #66 of 2,063
Here's what I'm trying to understand:

It looks to me like the iDSD will serve as a USB to S/PDIF converter.

I have a Fiio E17, which only supports 96 / 24 via USB. It supports 192 / 24 via S/PDIF, but I use a Windows PC that doesn't have S/PDIF output, so I'm limited to 96 / 24 via USB output to my FiiO E17 from my computer.

I'm happy with the warm sound of the FiiO E17!

Will the iDSD serve as a USB to S/PDIF converter?

Will it allow me to run 192/24 USB into the iDSD, and then S/PDIF at 192 / 24 out of the iDSD into the FiiO E17?

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #67 of 2,063
  Here's what I'm trying to understand:

It looks to me like the iDSD will serve as a USB to S/PDIF converter.

I have a Fiio E17, which only supports 96 / 24 via USB. It supports 192 / 24 via S/PDIF, but I use a Windows PC that doesn't have S/PDIF output, so I'm limited to 96 / 24 via USB output to my FiiO E17 from my computer.

I'm happy with the warm sound of the FiiO E17!

Will the iDSD serve as a USB to S/PDIF converter?

Will it allow me to run 192/24 USB into the iDSD, and then S/PDIF at 192 / 24 out of the iDSD into the FiiO E17?

the idsd tech specs page: http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/nano_iDSD.html

it seems like it will output up to 192 via the digital out, so yes, i believe you can output it to your FiiO...

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #68 of 2,063
   the idsd tech specs page: http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/nano_iDSD.html

it seems like it will output up to 192 via the digital out, so yes, i believe you can output it to your FiiO...

That is correct, it has a digital out so you could connect it to the S/PDIF input of the FiiO E17 (this output is PCM only, not DSD).  However, it feels that it would be overkill to use the iDSD purely as a USB to S/PDIF converter.  I have owned FiiO DACs and amplifiers in the past (not the E17 though), and the iDSD itself has superior sound quality on its own right, and supports PCM on its USB input up to 24/192 and it's also a native DSD DAC, with many other features that the FiiO does not have.

If you really like the FiiO sound, there are cheaper USB to S/PDIF converters out there than the iDSD.  The iDSD is also more expensive than the FiiO E17 unit.  But if you want to go ahead and buy the iDSD unit anyway, you might find that you'll probably end up selling the FiiO and just use the iDSD as your DAC/amp.

My two cents after owning the iDSD for a bit more than two weeks, it has become one of my trusted daily companions...

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #69 of 2,063

That is correct, it has a digital out so you could connect it to the S/PDIF input of the FiiO E17 (this output is PCM only, not DSD).  However, it feels that it would be overkill to use the iDSD purely as a USB to S/PDIF converter.  I have owned FiiO DACs and amplifiers in the past (not the E17 though), and the iDSD itself has superior sound quality on its own right, and supports PCM on its USB input up to 24/192 and it's also a native DSD DAC, with many other features that the FiiO does not have.

If you really like the FiiO sound, there are cheaper USB to S/PDIF converters out there than the iDSD.  The iDSD is also more expensive than the FiiO E17 unit.  But if you want to go ahead and buy the iDSD unit anyway, you might find that you'll probably end up selling the FiiO and just use the iDSD as your DAC/amp.

My two cents after owning the iDSD for a bit more than two weeks, it has become one of my trusted daily companions...

Yeah, I'm almost certain that I'm going to buy the iDSD, without having the chance to hear one. It will let me try DSD, which I can't do now, but I'm mainly interested in PCM.

I really do like the FiiO E17 which is known for a warm sound. If the iDSD sounds better in all respects, then I'll just use it. However, if it doesn't sound better to me, it is still likely to improve the sound of the FiiO because it will let me use the S/PDIF input on the FiiO instead of the USB and it will let me play all of the PCM files above 96 / 24. That's why I think I'm going to buy one. It's either going to replace my FiiO E17, or even if it doesn't, it's going to give me DSD and make the FiiO sound even better. It should be a win either way.

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #70 of 2,063
I've now been able to get some really nice sound out of the Nano iDSD when using both Grado SR80i's and Audeze LCD2's (while playing hires music from the ONKYO HF app on the iPhone).

It may be my imagination, but I think it sounds better when connected this way to the iPhone, than when playing music from a Mac and Audirvana+. Does anyone else have this experience?

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #71 of 2,063
  I've now been able to get some really nice sound out of the Nano iDSD when using both Grado SR80i's and Audeze LCD2's (while playing hires music from the ONKYO HF app on the iPhone).

It may be my imagination, but I think it sounds better when connected this way to the iPhone, than when playing music from a Mac and Audirvana+. Does anyone else have this experience?

On the mac is it playing from battery power or from USB port power? The battery should be a very clean power source, the computers USB port not so clean.

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #72 of 2,063

On the mac is it playing from battery power or from USB port power? The battery should be a very clean power source, the computers USB port not so clean.

USB port power - I should know of the pitfalls of this already (I have 2 different split usb cables, and a Kingrex UPower and an iFi iUSBPower). Will do some more tests with a hopefully improved setup. :)

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #73 of 2,063
I just placed my order with Music Direct for an iDSD. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #74 of 2,063
I just placed an order for one as well...

It was my understanding, that if the iDSD is turned on before it is connected to the USB on the PC then it would be using its internal battery, and the USB power is not connected. I might be wrong on that. If thats the case, it shouldnt matter if you have a split cable or not.

I have played around quite a bit with making my own battery supplies for the Wyrd4snd ULink and other USB powered DAC's. I do notice a difference with the battery with say the ULink. Its certainly not that easy to detect. I noticed it at high volumes through my speakers. With battery - better, lower bass, somewhat cleaner presentation, a bit more 'drive'. Something I would not be able to identify with any reliability at low/normal listening levels. Wryrd is good at cleaning up the power supply noise though....

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #75 of 2,063

Yeah, I'm almost certain that I'm going to buy the iDSD, without having the chance to hear one. It will let me try DSD, which I can't do now, but I'm mainly interested in PCM.

I really do like the FiiO E17 which is known for a warm sound. If the iDSD sounds better in all respects, then I'll just use it. However, if it doesn't sound better to me, it is still likely to improve the sound of the FiiO because it will let me use the S/PDIF input on the FiiO instead of the USB and it will let me play all of the PCM files above 96 / 24. That's why I think I'm going to buy one. It's either going to replace my FiiO E17, or even if it doesn't, it's going to give me DSD and make the FiiO sound even better. It should be a win either way.

Cool.  I think you won't regret it.  The only issue that I've read recently is that it's backlogged at most retailers as they sold out on their first batches.  Hope you can get one soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back