iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Oct 22, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #16 of 2,063
Just dicovered and sub'ed to this thread. Interesting indeed. I will be in the market for a DSD DAC, specifically DSD128 or DSD at 5.6 MHz ( the format in which I do my master recordings ) and DXD. The only thing I miss in this DAC is MP3 192 kbps playback capability - I am NOT interested in any PCM in-beetween. DSD128 for obvious reasons, DXD out of curiosity what best commercially available PCM can bring to the table and MP3 for archiving European Classical Nocturno - non stop classical music show, usually interesting live petformance, broadcast daily from midnight to IIRC 5 or 6 in the morning. I may be sleeping, my Korg MR 1 DSD recorder set to MP3 192 kbps ( only MP3 it supports ) and recording off FM tuner does not.

I am eyeing TEAC U501 DSD DAC - which supports the same formats as i nanoDSD DAC - and costs 4 times as much. TEAC unit was tested against 10+ times costlier machines and of course more money means better performance. I wish I could afford those 10K+$ machines - but if it turns out there is not too great difference in SQ between i nanoDSD DAC and TEAC, I may well reconsider putting TEAC off my wish list. Added bonus is portability AND one people are usually not fully aware of : powering any digital device off batteries may well result in better overall SQ, as mains connected power supplies powering digital gear can inject full complement of digital nastities into your power line, making your other components connected to the same AC outlet perform under their maximum fidelity. Powering digital with batteries also usually results in lower jitter, another added bonus.

That acronym filled bottom of the case actually tells you pretty much everything you have to know about and how to connect and set up your computer/phone for the use of inano DSD DAC - instead of thick small format Operation Manual ( no doubt included with the unit ) I usually find hard to manipulate/read. Even if User Manual gets lost. Kudos to them for getting so much info in so small and so un-lost-able space !

I am really looking forward to first reviews, particularly shoot out with Teac U501 DSD DAC.

Good girls go to Heaven - bad girls go Everywhere. 

( or my way of saying why I prefer portable devices )

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #18 of 2,063
Nov 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #19 of 2,063
although obviosly way early, this will be an interesting comparison to the geek pulse. ignoring the portability factor, it means in the next few months there will be some nice choices in afforable dad dacs.....

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #20 of 2,063
I'm confused. How do I connect an iPhone 5 to this?

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #23 of 2,063
Anyone got any news on this?  I'm looking to pick one up ASAP!!  I thought they were getting released in Dec.  if ANYONE can tell me where I can buy one in the UK I'd be highly grateful.

Thanks

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #24 of 2,063
+1  

I'm very keen to acquire this too but iFi UK online stockists don't seem to have stock yet. 

Quote:
  Anyone got any news on this?  I'm looking to pick one up ASAP!!  I thought they were getting released in Dec.  if ANYONE can tell me where I can buy one in the UK I'd be highly grateful.

Thanks

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #25 of 2,063

Thanks

Ditto.

Also does anybody know whether it will work at 24/96 with the ipad4 (currently using FLAC Player)??

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #27 of 2,063
so this can only read DSD files, no mp3?

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #30 of 2,063
if this can read mp3 this is just the easiest all in one solution for portable systems
wow
i nver cared much for portable system but for the money thats a no brainer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back