iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Apr 4, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,291 of 2,063
Thank you, I looked and the site didn't show prices or even able to add them to a cart, but I saw just a dac was $4-700?

The iFi micro iDSD is around $500. It's a portable DAC + HP amp. The iFi micro iCAN is around $300 iirc, but it's a HP amp only, so you'll need a separate DAC. But it's a Class A HP amp.

What would be your source player? For IEM/earbuds, I suggest just buy the iFi nano iDSD ($200) and just use EQ on your source player to tweak treble, miss and bass frequencies. The iFi nano iDSD is some terrific sounding gear. You won't need any treble not bass switch. It has 2 digital filters (interchangeable), so you can use that to tweak the sound.

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #1,293 of 2,063
I use it with a galaxy note 4. It works just fine!

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,294 of 2,063
Ok, well my source would be my appletv or possibly my stereo "coaxl", but tho, I use Schiit Audio right now and it sounds great for only "$200" for both the Amp and Dac, is the Ifi worth it?
The iFi micro iDSD is around $500. It's a portable DAC + HP amp. The iFi micro iCAN is around $300 iirc, but it's a HP amp only, so you'll need a separate DAC. But it's a Class A HP amp.

What would be your source player? For IEM/earbuds, I suggest just buy the iFi nano iDSD ($200) and just use EQ on your source player to tweak treble, miss and bass frequencies. The iFi nano iDSD is some terrific sounding gear. You won't need any treble not bass switch. It has 2 digital filters (interchangeable), so you can use that to tweak the sound.

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #1,295 of 2,063
Quote:
Ok, well my source would be my appletv or possibly my stereo "coaxl", but tho, I use Schiit Audio right now and it sounds great for only "$200" for both the Amp and Dac, is the Ifi worth it?

When you mention earbuds, do you mean higher end in ears? If you are really just using cheap earbuds, don't worry about the source. With the Schiit you are using, a waaay better upgrade would be to improve your buds if your medical condition allows.

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #1,296 of 2,063
Well I have the klipsch s3 right now and I'm looking for great or better ear buds but, im not too sure what would be a great quality ear bud (in-ear)? I looked at the Shure 846 but that's kinda allot right now, so what would you suggest? Thanks! And I mainly listen to classic rock and indie rock
Quote:
When you mention earbuds, do you mean higher end in ears? If you are really just using cheap earbuds, don't worry about the source. With the Schiit you are using, a waaay better upgrade would be to improve your buds if your medical condition allows.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #1,297 of 2,063
Well I have the klipsch s3 right now and I'm looking for great or better ear buds but, im not too sure what would be a great quality ear bud (in-ear)? I looked at the Shure 846 but that's kinda allot right now, so what would you suggest? Thanks! And I mainly listen to classic rock and indie rock

Sorry, I don't really use earbuds. Ask in some of the portable headphone threads. I am sure that you will be much better off spending new money on better earbuds than a better source.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #1,298 of 2,063

Haven't heard the Schiits, so can't really tell. But of all my portables and portables I've heard, the iFi nano iDSD is worth it...in fact, I hear it to be better than its bigger brother iFi micro iDSD.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #1,299 of 2,063
How does everyone feel about the nano iDSD vs the GeekOut 450?

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #1,300 of 2,063
Beta firmware - Testing Solutions to Spotify/Tidal streaming on Android and DSD256 on MAC

Warning. 

Please try this only if you are comfortable with upgrading the firmware on your nano iDSD/micro iDSD/Retro Stereo 50 Beta firmware allows one to:

1) Version 4.8 Beta - Output audio for Android if you encounter lack of compatibility with Device X and Spotify/Tidal* etc., USB Host mode remains required. 

1. Devices tested so far Sony Xperia Z Ultra and Samsung Galaxy S4, allows system audio, including Games and Android Music Playback via iFi iDSD etc.
  2. We have developed a Firmware workaround that enables this for several Android Phones in our possession, but need wider testing.

2) Version 4.8.4 - DSD256 via DoP for iDSD nano (and upcoming iDAC2 micro) is now supported, using a special beta firmware. This firmware is redundant on iDSD micro and Retro Stereo 50.

1. This is primarily for Mac, for Windows ASIO Native remains recommended.
  2. Note that this Firmware unlocks 705k/768kHz sample rates on the iDSD nano and iDAC2 micro with hardware that mutes on 705/768k PCM. 
  3. As Mac's default the audio to the highest rate this means there will be no audio until you lower the sample rate in the control panel to 384khz.

1. Note that on Windows either Firmware update requires the Version 2.23 iFi Driver, earlier versions are NOT supported.

Please open a support ticket here to receive this firmware

http://support.ifi-audio.com/

Or open a ticket and contact your iCLUB conciege

Thanks

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 11, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #1,302 of 2,063
Hi. I imagine that on the go this amp could be good. But if at home, I want to use a better amp, can I do it without double amping? Similar to to a DAPs Line Out, a clean direct DAC exit/output. All audio outputs are using the internal amplifier?

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #1,305 of 2,063
The LINE OUT is through the RCA sockets on the front panel of the nano iDSD.

Turning the volume to maximum causes the stepped attenuator volume control to be bypassed. The straight output of the DAC is then sent through the RCAs at a standard 2 Volts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back