iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Mar 27, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #1,276 of 2,063

Really amazing portable dac/amp.  The best I've had.

Wonderful synergy with the Audio Technica W1000X and the Sennheiser 595.  With the W1000X, it is simply mind bogling.  Very organic, detailed and fun!!

That said, the line out (RCA) is not nearly as impressive.  It sounds a bit cold in the stereo systems I've tried.  Do other folks experience this?  Am I just unlucky in the synergy of my tries?

[]s
Walfredo

+1 Agreed on your findings of the Headphone side of the DAC.

I recently moved the Nano to my listening room downstairs instead to swap out my Oppo HA-1 DAC.  Although I have done a comparison between the two earlier, it became clear to me that the Nano is not as full bodied as the Oppoa, again to my ears only and your YMMV. I listened over the entire weekend last week and found that the RCA outputs are good, but not amazingly fantastic like the Oppo's DAC.

Having said that, the Nano is still an amazing DAC and Headphone Amp all bundled into a small package and for a very good price. If I was advising any friend to by his or her first DAC for a hifi setup, I would point them to the iFi Nano.

Absolutely, sfo1972!!

I have recommended the ifi nano a couple of times already.  100% satisfied "clients".  
L3000.gif

It is just that, to me, the headphone out is among the best I've heard at any price.  But the RCA out I have to qualify as a "good value".  I wonder if anyone understands why.

I love the built-in battery feature as well. Allows me to travel with it and use it instead of my iOS devices' basic DACs and gives new life to the music. I use the camera adapter on the line out into the Nano. Have you tried that?

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,277 of 2,063
  I love the built-in battery feature as well. Allows me to travel with it and use it instead of my iOS devices' basic DACs and gives new life to the music. I use the camera adapter on the line out into the Nano. Have you tried that?

For curiosity, I tried with my Android HTC M7.  But it did not work.  Maybe I am doing something wrong, but my main use is really with a computer, so I didn't investigate.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,278 of 2,063

For curiosity, I tried with my Android HTC M7.  But it did not work.  Maybe I am doing something wrong, but my main use is really with a computer, so I didn't investigate.

Android is a hit or miss when it comes to USB DAC support on different models of smartphone. If it doesn't work, then very likely you need to install either one of these: USB Audio Player Pro, Onkyo HD Player, and HibyMusic.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #1,279 of 2,063

Hi,

Open a support ticket

http://support.ifi-audio.com/index.php

and we'll email through the pdf which outlines Android and USB Audio playback. So you know where to look to confirm if your M7 can output a digital audio signal.

In one sentence, one needs to confirm the specific Android is capable of USB Host Mode.

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 28, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #1,280 of 2,063

Hi,

Open a support ticket

and we'll email through the pdf which outlines Android and USB Audio playback. So you know where to look to confirm if your M7 can output a digital audio signal.

In one sentence, one needs to confirm the specific Android is capable of USB Host Mode.

Cheers.

Wow!!  Thanks for the prompt response.  

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #1,281 of 2,063

Get it working buddy - its worth the effort, you can have Hirez on the go for minimal additional bucks. Make sure to connect through the line out and not the standard headphone jack.

Hi,

Open a support ticket

Cheers.

Good on ya mate....

Hi,

Open a support ticket

Cheers.

Wow!!  Thanks for the prompt response.  

There you have it....let us know when it all works out. And your impressions, I will hold mine off until I hear yours 
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #1,282 of 2,063
Anybody tried the iFi nano iDSD with the NAD HP50 headphones? Try it. Very highly recommended for those looking at closed back cans. It even took the throne from my open-back planars.

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #1,283 of 2,063
Its a good starter DAC and performs well in both setup as a Headphone AMP and as a Pre-amp. Bear in mind, its a starter DAC and can't be pinned against the heavy hitters, but it can hold its own in a head to head comparison. I would highly recommend it and you should also consider Schitt's modi2 as an option.

Let me know if you have specific questions as I have owned the Nano for a few months and used it on the road and at home with headphones and as a pre-amp.

Cheers

Thank you, this settles it then, I will be getting one!
For the price I can't go wrong and a good stepping stone to possibly a higher quality dad at a later stage

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #1,284 of 2,063

Its a good starter DAC and performs well in both setup as a Headphone AMP and as a Pre-amp. Bear in mind, its a starter DAC and can't be pinned against the heavy hitters, but it can hold its own in a head to head comparison. I would highly recommend it and you should also consider Schitt's modi2 as an option.

Let me know if you have specific questions as I have owned the Nano for a few months and used it on the road and at home with headphones and as a pre-amp.

Cheers

Thank you, this settles it then, I will be getting one!
For the price I can't go wrong and a good stepping stone to possibly a higher quality dad at a later stage

Good luck and let me know your impressions once you get it...

Cheers

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #1,285 of 2,063
Does ifi have a product that will let me change the bass or tremble?

I actually use Schiit Audio but I'm wanting to just explore other sounds and companies,

I can only use earbuds because of a medical devise I have (I can't get by strong magnets by my head)

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #1,286 of 2,063
Does ifi have a product that will let me change the bass or tremble?

I actually use Schiit Audio but I'm wanting to just explore other sounds and companies,

I can only use earbuds because of a medical devise I have (I can't get by strong magnets by my head)

iFi micro iDSD. 3D switch adds treble and XBass switch adds bass. But since you'll use earbuds, you could try iFi nano iDSD and use iPhone with Onkyo Player app which had EQ to tweak the bass and treble.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #1,288 of 2,063
Saying 3D Holographic Sound adds treble might be a bit too simplified

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #1,289 of 2,063
Great, but how much is that?
So I would only need that 1 Ifi?
Thanks!

Yes. You can use your earbud with that. If you want desktop, try iFi micro iCAN. It has more 3D and XBass levels. Check their website.

Saying 3D Holographic Sound adds treble might be a bit too simplified

Yes. It's mainly trying to make the sound more holographic or 3D, but most times I find it adds more treble. Yeah, not exactly a treble switch. Another "treble switch" would be the digital filter. Using Standard Filter results to more treble.

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,290 of 2,063
Thank you, I looked and the site didn't show prices or even able to add them to a cart, but I saw just a dac was $4-700?
Yes. You can use your earbud with that. If you want desktop, try iFi micro iCAN. It has more 3D and XBass levels. Check their website.
Yes. It's mainly trying to make the sound more holographic or 3D, but most times I find it adds more treble. Yeah, not exactly a treble switch. Another "treble switch" would be the digital filter. Using Standard Filter results to more treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back