iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Dec 21, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #1,531 of 2,063
Paranoid? ClieOS, go away, please.

How would I know that coax introduces jitter also?

I am interested in learning from people who are kind and not insulting to others.

Paranoid is a word I'll use for describing a state of mind and not for insult. - but if that's how strongly you have felt, then I shall stop from replying you anymore. Regard.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #1,532 of 2,063
Yes, I have been using USB to the Mojo for the past month.

However, given all the criticism about USB jitter, etc.... I thought I would ask those with experience to opine on Coax.

Naturally I am talking about home-listening for this particular use-case.

Hi,

As a general rule:

Any conversion always introduces more jitter than keeping the signal original.

So if USB is okay to use straight, then keep it USB.  Dont convert to SPDIF and then back again.

As ClieOS said, keep it same for the Mojo or any other device that accepts CCK > usb > DAC.  But try for yourself and let your ears decide.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 21, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #1,534 of 2,063
  Also the output turns into a " Line Out " voltage when you turn the volume knob to its full on position....   not for when you are using your headphones, only when you want to use it as line out mode...    you'll need to understand the way the battery works too...   turn the nano on before you hook up the USB then your under battery power...   plug the nano in to USB then turn it on then its running off of the USB power.... if your not careful you can run the battery all the way to dead....

Thank you for this great info, I much appreciate it!
Basically, I must turn on the computer first and then the DAC if I want to power it from the USB port.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,535 of 2,063
@Angular Mo

You worry too much about inaudible things. ClieOS doesn't blame you, English is not my first language but for me his words sounds friendly, with a hint that you should ignore/skip this kind "bad jitter panic posts from other people” in the forums.

I own the Chord Mojo since the first batch. I own the iFi micro iDSD (before the little brother nano iDSD) since the beginning and none of them sound bad or worse with any kind of input including USB.

I tested, toslink, coax and USB input and this three inputs sounding always the same (great) on Chord Mojo and micro iDSD (both devices have this 3 different inputs).

The sources are different devices, like simple mobile phones like Samsung S4, real DAPs like iBasso DX50, regular hardware like Windows machine, Daphile Box and others.

The only “reason” to choose USB instead of toslink or coax is if you want to use DSD playback, for native and DoP playback without any limitation. But sound wise all 3 inputs sounding always the same if you use PCM music files.

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #1,536 of 2,063
Do you have a preference among the inputs for the Mojo?

I am not worrying, I am asking for opinions of those with more experience than I have.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #1,537 of 2,063

I am not worrying, I am asking for opinions of those with more experience than I have.

This works well for me

And this is ubertastic
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #1,538 of 2,063

No as I said, the input doesn't matter. I only use mostly coax because my DAPs has only coax output, that the only reason. Use what ever you want, it makes zero differences SQ wise. If you want to pair it with you iPhone do it with any compatible cable (like the FiiO L19 works fine with iPhone and Mojo) and enjoy music.

But this is the iFi nano iDSD thread, I think that should be enough talk about different product, there is a separate thread for Mojo. If you want some comments about Mojo vs iDSD: http://www.head-fi.org/t/789009/chord-mojo-vs-ifi-micro-idsd-vs-m9xx-optional-vs-audeze-deckard-lcd-3-or-sony-xba-z5#post_12123174

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #1,540 of 2,063
Not possible with the FiiO X3 II. The USB port from the FiiO device is a USB OTG port, but only for USB storage. No USB audio is possible in any way sorry. You need a portable dac/amp device with digital coax input, the nano iDSD has only USB input (and coax output), if you go for the bigger borther micro iDSD, which provides coax input, you can connect the FiiO X3 II with a FiiO coax adaptor and a short coax cable to the micro iDSD, but this will not work for the nano iDSD, because this device don't have a coax input.

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #1,541 of 2,063
Not possible with the FiiO X3 II. The USB port from the FiiO device is a USB OTG port, but only for USB storage. No USB audio is possible in any way sorry. You need a portable dac/amp device with digital coax input, the nano iDSD has only USB input (and coax output), if you go for the bigger borther micro iDSD, which provides coax input, you can connect the FiiO X3 II with a FiiO coax adaptor and a short coax cable to the micro iDSD, but this will not work for the nano iDSD, because this device don't have a coax input.

Thank you for the helpful info. So these are a no go for me then. Might have to settle with the mojo.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #1,542 of 2,063
Neeeeeeeeeeeeddddd Moreeeeeeeeeee Powwwwwweeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr Captaaaaaaiiiinnnnnnnnnnnn!

Ordered the iCAN SE on 11th, still with the courier somewhere. It canneeee take anymore captainnnnnn!!!!

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #1,543 of 2,063
In Windows 10 (Playback > Sounds), I can only select a max of 32 bit 192000 Hz. 

I thought the nano could do 32 / 384?

Firmware V5

Any Ideas?

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #1,544 of 2,063
Use the nano iDSD with the ASIO driver in your player software like foobar2000 with DSD plugin works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back