iFi Audio nano iDSD Black Label (TOUR details - PAGE 12 / TOUR participants - page 26 post #386)
Jan 9, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #542 of 1,008
Thoroughly enjoying my time with the Nano BL! Currently have it on my desk at work, happily powering my HD 650's at 10 o'clock on the volume dial. Flashed it with the firmware update, and it's now glowing a nice magenta-hue as it plays MQA from Tidal desktop.

I seem to be having a problem with the 'IEMatch' 3.5mm out - I'm only getting sound through the left channel, none whatsoever on the RHS. Of course, I've tried a number of headphones and that's not the culprit. Does this sound like a defective unit, or am I misunderstanding something about the TRRS configuration used here?

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #543 of 1,008
Thoroughly enjoying my time with the Nano BL! Currently have it on my desk at work, happily powering my HD 650's at 10 o'clock on the volume dial. Flashed it with the firmware update, and it's now glowing a nice magenta-hue as it plays MQA from Tidal desktop.

I seem to be having a problem with the 'IEMatch' 3.5mm out - I'm only getting sound through the left channel, none whatsoever on the RHS. Of course, I've tried a number of headphones and that's not the culprit. Does this sound like a defective unit, or am I misunderstanding something about the TRRS configuration used here?
Both ports should work with SE or balanced plugs, you might have a defective unit.

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #546 of 1,008
also if you can, do you need to disable or enable the rendering in tidal desktop app?
You'll need to:

1. Update the Firmware

2. Select an MQA album on Tidal desktop

3. Go to Tidal settings

4. Choose 'Master' setting under 'streaming'

5. Under 'Sound output', select iFi Nano, and allow Tidal to have 'Exclusive mode' over the iFi nano

It should then glow a nice purple/magenta if it's unfolding MQA correctly

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #548 of 1,008
You'll need to:

1. Update the Firmware

2. Select an MQA album on Tidal desktop

3. Go to Tidal settings

4. Choose 'Master' setting under 'streaming'

5. Under 'Sound output', select iFi Nano, and allow Tidal to have 'Exclusive mode' over the iFi nano

It should then glow a nice purple/magenta if it's unfolding MQA correctly

do i need to disable rendering of mqa by tidal in the app or keep it enabled? as with some mqa dac's you have to disable the in app bit

Jan 11, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #549 of 1,008
happily powering my HD 650's at 10 o'clock on the volume dial.

This surprised me because the volume only starts to become audible at about 9:00 in my experience - with power on being at about 8:00. I too have the nano BL paired to HD 650s, and volume is still pretty low at 10:00. I'm not a super-loud listener, but I usually settle in at about 1:00 or so. I use the Direct input because IEMatch is even quieter, and I presume not intended for 300ohm over-the-ear headphones. My sources (iPad and MacBook) seem to result in about the same volume. I do have the latest firmware, with magenta LED showing with Tidal MQA tracks. I realize its not possible to compare without knowing the DB output for each of us, but it got me wondering if the output gain is different with some sources. Are you using Direct, and how would you describe the volume at 10:00?

On the whole, I'm very happy with the pairing. I tend to like warmer headphones and DACs. My experience is pretty limited, but here are a few comparisons for what it's worth:

Sennheiser HD598 w/ FiiO E07k - excellent match (brighter headphones, warm Wolfson DAC). I was happy with this pairing for quite a while until the E07k died.

HD598 w/FiiO E17k - too harsh for me (brighter headphones, cold DAC).
HD650 w/FiiO E17k - better sonic match, but lacking in detail, bass, and soundstage
HD650 w/Arcam AV8 pre/pro - fantastic detail, but underpowered headphone amp not dynamic enough
HD650 w/Denon 3312 CI AVR - effortless power, but too boomy (probably due to high output impedance)
HD650 w/iFi nano BL is the sweet spot so far: sound signature, power to spare, amazing detail and clarity

I haven't done much with the nano BL and 598s. The 650 is such a step up in sound quality, I'm not likely to use the 598s very often.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #550 of 1,008
A few initial impressions...

1) MQA is the real deal. Wow what a difference. I'm listening to the same song on Tidal and it is like night and day. Eagles Hotel California and Niall Horan's This Town.... MQA removes all of the "grung" from the songs. I still need to compare to DSD and MQA. I tried the same songs on the my micro iDSD and the nano. I'm using Fostex TH-900 MKIIs for headphones.
2) The Nano iDSD doesn't drive my full sized cans like my micro iDSD does. :smile:
3) The size is much better for portability than the micro series iFi gear.
4) I miss the RCA outs from the micro iDSD...
5) The nano iDSD is very finicky with the song you play on it. One song sounds great while the other doesn't sound right. Almost like the timbre is off.
6) I really like the light being on the front of the nano iDSD. It's much easier to see.

More to come......

We're glad you like it! :ksc75smile:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 12, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #552 of 1,008
This surprised me because the volume only starts to become audible at about 9:00 in my experience - with power on being at about 8:00. I too have the nano BL paired to HD 650s, and volume is still pretty low at 10:00. I'm not a super-loud listener, but I usually settle in at about 1:00 or so. I use the Direct input because IEMatch is even quieter, and I presume not intended for 300ohm over-the-ear headphones. My sources (iPad and MacBook) seem to result in about the same volume. I do have the latest firmware, with magenta LED showing with Tidal MQA tracks. I realize its not possible to compare without knowing the DB output for each of us, but it got me wondering if the output gain is different with some sources. Are you using Direct, and how would you describe the volume at 10:00?

On the whole, I'm very happy with the pairing. I tend to like warmer headphones and DACs. My experience is pretty limited, but here are a few comparisons for what it's worth:

Sennheiser HD598 w/ FiiO E07k - excellent match (brighter headphones, warm Wolfson DAC). I was happy with this pairing for quite a while until the E07k died.

HD598 w/FiiO E17k - too harsh for me (brighter headphones, cold DAC).
HD650 w/FiiO E17k - better sonic match, but lacking in detail, bass, and soundstage
HD650 w/Arcam AV8 pre/pro - fantastic detail, but underpowered headphone amp not dynamic enough
HD650 w/Denon 3312 CI AVR - effortless power, but too boomy (probably due to high output impedance)
HD650 w/iFi nano BL is the sweet spot so far: sound signature, power to spare, amazing detail and clarity

I haven't done much with the nano BL and 598s. The 650 is such a step up in sound quality, I'm not likely to use the 598s very often.
If you like the match with the HD650 now, wait 'til you try it on a 3.5mm balanced cable. :D

Jan 12, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #553 of 1,008
Hi All,

Does anyone know where we are on the Eastern US Tour (thank you iFi!!!), I’m looking forward to writing a comprehension with the Mojo.

Cheers,

Kevin

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #554 of 1,008
If you like the match with the HD650 now, wait 'til you try it on a 3.5mm balanced cable. :D

I've got two hedaphones that will operate via 3.5mm TRRS I should be picking this up today! Excited to hear how it performs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back