iFi Audio nano iDSD Black Label (TOUR details - PAGE 12 / TOUR participants - page 26 post #386)
Dec 31, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #511 of 1,008
I think that the main differences are the magenta MQA and white lights. I don't believe that there are sonic differences. "Minor optimisations" only. I updated to the newest firmware after unboxing the the unit.

5.3C RC2
(MQA Release Candidate 2) 27 Nov. 2017
Minor Optimisations. Similar to v5.3C but with:
• MQA compatibility with Magenta LED.
• With PCM, LED is white as it is Upsampled 8x (Minimum Phase and Minimum Ringing filters).

5.3C
(MQA Beta) 16 Nov. 2017
Minor Optimisations. Similar to v5.2 but with:
• MQA compatibility.
• Note: LEDs do not directly correspond to the Sampling rate but this is
purely cosmetic. TIDAL confirms MQA is playing.

ah okay *thumbs up
just light different after all :wink:

thank you for your answer

Dec 31, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #513 of 1,008
The Mojo has better HF separation and air, if memory serves that’s what stood out.. But what I Iike about the Nano iDSD BL is nothing is overly etched in detail or tonally washed out considering its price point..

Dec 31, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #514 of 1,008
The Mojo has better HF separation and air, if memory serves that’s what stood out.. But what I Iike about the Nano iDSD BL is nothing is overly etched in detail or tonally washed out considering its price point..
At how many hours? These devices take a good long while - 200 hours minimum - to get to their full performance.

Dec 31, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #515 of 1,008
Anyone tried to play the iFi Audio nano iDSD BL behind a Sonore microRendu? I tried to connect my iFi Audio nano iDSD BL to my Sonore microRendu but the nano didn't output to my cans.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #516 of 1,008
At how many hours? These devices take a good long while - 200 hours minimum - to get to their full performance.

I’ve listened to both at a local dealer’s for a number of hours.. Both dacs are demo units that have >250 hours on them. I asked the dealer about it, and I’ll just have to take his word for it.. I got my Nano iDSD BL brand new of course.. And yes, even warm up (not just break in) time makes a big difference. The clocks, etc., need to stabilize for better performance.

Happy new year to all!

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #517 of 1,008

Interesting!

I actually fell in love with iDSD BL Micro for both its bass and treble, which is what Mojo didn't have good enough for me. I felt that Mojo is quite good in bass and mids, but the treble lacked some sparkle for me...

Dec 31, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #518 of 1,008
Anyone tried to play the iFi Audio nano iDSD BL behind a Sonore microRendu? I tried to connect my iFi Audio nano iDSD BL to my Sonore microRendu but the nano didn't output to my cans.

are you using the latest firmware? 5.3C R2?

that firmware caused lagging on the unit ...
my remedy was :
1. turn the volume knob to off position, then turn it on
2. play the next song

if it still fail, try to disconnect the usb cable from the unit and reconnect it again

or if it happen to your smartphones too, downgrade the firmware back to 5.2 and wait for more stable firmware :wink:

hope that helps

Dec 31, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #519 of 1,008
@aoitenshi6509

Thanks for the help. Yes, my firmware is 5.3C R2. Looks like a firmware issue. Still happens when I try the remedy that you recommended.

I hope the firmware issue is resolved soon. I don't really want to remove the optimisations (LED light changes) by going back to 5.2. My Chord Mojo works without an issue with the Sonore MicroRendu.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #520 of 1,008

Try reconnecting a few times, switching the Nano off and on in between. With my Shanling M1 I have to do this sometimes.

Dec 31, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #521 of 1,008
Same here with a Samsung S7 edge and latest firmware. On Thursday I will go back to first firmware until one new is released. I am not using MQA right now.
Sometimes I don't get sound but the song is playing and have to reconnect and/or switch off to get it working. I don't remember it happening with the original firmware.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #522 of 1,008
Same here with a Samsung S7 edge and latest firmware. On Thursday I will go back to first firmware until one new is released. I am not using MQA right now.
Sometimes I don't get sound but the song is playing and have to reconnect and/or switch off to get it working. I don't remember it happening with the original firmware.

I'm sure it did, the "no sound bug" was something I hoped would get fixed in later F/W. Its a minor annoyance that I can live with.

Jan 3, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #523 of 1,008
Interesting!

I actually fell in love with iDSD BL Micro for both its bass and treble, which is what Mojo didn't have good enough for me. I felt that Mojo is quite good in bass and mids, but the treble lacked some sparkle for me...

Hi,

I’d like to make it clear in my personal assessment a few days ago above, that that is the ONLY thing the Mojo excelled at Vs the Nano iDSD BL.. And the gulf between the two in that area isn’t that large at all (HF “air”.. ), and can actually boil down to subjective taste. In fact, in every other area the Nano iDSD BL outperformed it. That’s why I bought it. There’s more meat on them bones with the music..

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #524 of 1,008
This just showed up here in Ireland. I'll start doing some proper listening tomorrow..
Exciting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back