iFi Audio nano iDSD Black Label (TOUR details - PAGE 12 / TOUR participants - page 26 post #386)
Feb 21, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #661 of 1,008
Has anyone tried multiple different transports with the iDSD BL? I'm curious if there are sonic differences. Last night I was running it from my computer using Amarra and I thought it sounded nice though the transient response was a little slow, which has been reported in some reviews. Today I used ti with my Galaxy S7 and it seems to be more snappy maybe not as thick. I would like to get a dedicated transport for it, but wanted to see what others have been experiencing before pulling the trigger.

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #662 of 1,008
I quick update on my impressions after several months of use.
The sound is great, I love it and use it on my computer when playing games, Tidal HiFi and Tidal MQA. I know many have dismissed MQA for a variety of reasons but I challenge you to listen if you have access to the files. Until I can afford a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ this will be my go to home dac.
There are times when I have to unplug the USB and replug it to get the MQA purple light and therefore MQA to start decoding.
I forget to turn off the dac when I turn off my computer so the battery is always dead when I return. (Yes I know this is my fault)

You can actually run it straight from USB power. While the Nano is off, plug in the unit then turn the Nano on. It'll bypass the battery and run straight from USB power. It'll continue to run off USB power even if your PC is off given that your USB port is always powered.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #663 of 1,008
You can actually run it straight from USB power. While the Nano is off, plug in the unit then turn the Nano on. It'll bypass the battery and run straight from USB power. It'll continue to run off USB power even if your PC is off given that your USB port is always powered.

That's what I do. My usb ports on my computer have no power when the computer is off, I do not have any problems when I turn the computer back on because it runs on the usb power then. My problem would be if I want to take it on the road it would be dead because I may not have any usb power to connect it to.

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #665 of 1,008
The trick is to make sure that the LED is blue before turning the unit on. it will continue to charge so long as USB power is available. Once USB power is lost (for any reason) the iDSD will shift to batter power and continue on battery power until it is turned off, even if USB power is restored. Some power saving "features" in Windows will disable USB ports when the computer is not in use (this behavior can be changed in advanced power settings). If the iDSD is on when this happens, it will switch to battery power and continue in this mode indefinitely until it is turned off.

Cheers... Brian

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #666 of 1,008
I would like iFi to respond to the issue with batteries...
at one time I thought to myself that if a battery would go bad then I could either replace the dead battery or just use the unit as a desktop and not worry about the battery... well... I had my micro battery go bad last year... tried to get a replacement battery.. no dice.. they don't sell you a battery to replace a bad one... and to make it even worse.. my assumption that the unit would play as a desktop drawing power from the USB was also wrong... in my case for my micro... when the battery died... it wouldn't work as a portable or a desktop unit... it was just dead... asked for a new battery to replace it myself and it was nope... so I ended up getting the micro black as the replacement... so battery management is probably more important than some of us might realize...or you might end up with a dead unit...

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #667 of 1,008
at one time I thought to myself that if a battery would go bad then I could either replace the dead battery or just use the unit as a desktop and not worry about the battery... well... I had my micro battery go bad last year... tried to get a replacement battery.. no dice.. they don't sell you a battery to replace a bad one... and to make it even worse.. my assumption that the unit would play as a desktop drawing power from the USB was also wrong... in my case for my micro... when the battery died... it wouldn't work as a portable or a desktop unit... it was just dead... asked for a new battery to replace it myself and it was nope... so I ended up getting the micro black as the replacement... so battery management is probably more important than some of us might realize...or you might end up with a dead unit...
How long did your battery last in terms of years? Would they have replaced the battery if you sent in the unit to them? If not I may have to return my Nano BL.

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #668 of 1,008
How long did your battery last in terms of years? Would they have replaced the battery if you sent in the unit to them? If not I may have to return my Nano BL.

The micro was just at the 1 yr point...but I do have many other audio equipment that are battery operated and still going strong after many years... so in the case of the micro it may have just been a isolated case of a bad battery...
I don't know the actual repair routine for a battery replacement that is why I am asking iFi to respond as they are the ones with the answers... I think that info would be important info for everyone..

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #669 of 1,008
The micro was just at the 1 yr point...but I do have many other audio equipment that are battery operated and still going strong after many years... so in the case of the micro it may have just been a isolated case of a bad battery...
I don't know the actual repair routine for a battery replacement that is why I am asking iFi to respond as they are the ones with the answers... I think that info would be important info for everyone..
I'll be paying attention. Lets hope they respond promptly.

Feb 23, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #670 of 1,008
This thing is a Greek Tragedy.
To be fair, my feedback is targeted for those using Roon. After the Driver Download, Uninstall, Reinstall, Restart, Firmware Update, numerous Uninstalls and Restarts; I was able to achieve the coveted Majenta from Tidal playing Master Files/MQA. I was using the Tidal Desktop App exclusively.
The issue is that when changing file types in Roon (DSD, FLAC, 24/96 FLAC, 24/192 FLAC, Tidal, Tidal Masters, etc.); the iDSD BL mutes and will not play. The "trigger" seems to be DSD & Hi-Res FLAC files. Once I played one of these file types, the iDSD BL would mute if I selected any type of Tidal track. I tried to isolate the issue but after 2 Hours of nonsense I gave up.
How does it sound as a DAC coupled with my Jotunhiem? No clue. I was so frustrated that I repackaged the iDSD BL to return before I even considered evaluating the sound quality. Is it a Firmware issue? I downloaded and installed the latest Firmware from iFi. I honestly don't care.
I have been considering this DAC since it was released in November. I was encouraged with the latest review from Sound & Vision. I am willing to allow that it may be a "me" issue. That being said, I have never encountered this with any of the numerous Schiit, AudioQuest, LH Labs, Micca or Creative DACs that I have owned. Buyer beware.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #671 of 1,008
Something like that happened to me and reverted to original firmware, you won't be able to play MQA files but the mute issue is completely gone for me.
I am sure when the definitive firmware is released everything will be fine.

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #672 of 1,008

I'm not worried about the battery, I've already upgraded mine to this one.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/lipo-battery-pack

Compared to the factory 1200mah battery I get a good extra couple of hours use and the space available internally is ample for the upgrade. I've been running this battery for a couple of months now with no issues whatsoever.

Feb 24, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #673 of 1,008

Users who are viewing this thread

Back