iFi Audio IPurifier3.0
May 18, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #211 of 442
Oh to add about that coupler chain, the USPCB has VBUS off. You can mod the couplers too this way but I'm too clumsy to pull it off properly. So it's setup where it won't even light the LED on the 2nd idefender on the DAC side. Which is fine coz I'm powering it externally but it doesn't explain why it can still send electrical signal on the data lines from the Corning cable through 6 couplers to the idefender with minimal power. By comparison, it could barely light the led on the idefender if the idefender is directly connected to the rear end of the Corning. Next experiment is to cut off the grnd line which I'm expecting it to totally not work but if it does, it'll add further isolation.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #212 of 442
Oh to add about that coupler chain, the USPCB has VBUS off. You can mod the couplers too this way but I'm too clumsy to pull it off properly. So it's setup where it won't even light the LED on the 2nd idefender on the DAC side. Which is fine coz I'm powering it externally but it doesn't explain why it can still send electrical signal on the data lines from the Corning cable through 6 couplers to the idefender with minimal power. By comparison, it could barely light the led on the idefender if the idefender is directly connected to the rear end of the Corning. Next experiment is to cut off the grnd line which I'm expecting it to totally not work but if it does, it'll add further isolation.
Oh yeah forgot if my USPCB is Vbus off or not. i can’t seem to move the click on the USpCB. Will send u pic later.
Right now my chain is PC—> isilencer —usb cable —-> DAC
So maybe i will try PC—> usb cable—> isilencer —-. USPCB Vbus off —> DAC

May 18, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #213 of 442
10292203_thumb.jpg

What USB hubs are these? I am unable to do this on any of my equipment with iSilencers. The spaces between the USB ports are too narrow.

May 18, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #214 of 442
10292203_thumb.jpg

What USB hubs are these? I am unable to do this on any of my equipment with iSilencers. The spaces between the USB ports are too narrow.

TPLINK uh700 is cleaner. I intentionally broke the led lights on the one in the photo to make it sound cleaner but the UH700 is more linear. The one in the photo has a bit of increased lower mids. The model in the photo is available in Alibaba.

May 18, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #215 of 442
Oh yeah forgot if my USPCB is Vbus off or not. i can’t seem to move the click on the USpCB. Will send u pic later.
Right now my chain is PC—> isilencer —usb cable —-> DAC
So maybe i will try PC—> usb cable—> isilencer —-. USPCB Vbus off —> DAC

On my photo its weird chain
(3x USPCB vbus off + coupler) -> idefender -> usbpcb vbus on. The Hugo 2 needs some vbus just for handshake.

May 20, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #216 of 442
My amazement with iSilencer is the same. It doesn't add anything to the sound but always cleans it. If the isilencer adds something then it's a 'canary' telling you something else in the chain is off. It was only after the Corning that adding the isilencer lifted the noise floor a bit.

I think the iPurifier has it's purpose in cheaper DACS and sources. Sadly it doesn't scale like the isilencer and idefender.

While I'm here, I got some new USB 3 couplers and it seems to affirm my theory on noise management where adding more couplers make the sound better. More space and more coherence and ease of listening. No added layer of veil and it is to be mentioned I've had my battles on veil being introduced when something is added to the chain. Idefender/isilencers/hubs can introduce veil in some ways or another for example. Ohh, with that said, a simple way to test if your isilencer is in an unideal place in the chain is if it cuts off the highs a bit. You know it works in the chain if it maintains the energy in the highs and cleans out the mids.

With that said. I dunno why adding USB couplers up to 3 improves the sound. My only theory is it's another method of noise reduction by letting less current contaminate the data lines to the DAC.

Interestingly, when I did USB 3 coupler to USB 2 coupler (what I had previously in the chain) it hurts the sound where the release in the highs were cramped and flat.
Would you be able to tell me where you get those USB coupler? You said from amazon, but sold out ? I Don't need USB 3, but I assume the USB 3 is backward compatible with USB 2 ? I think the Regen USPCB adaptor is USB 2 right?
I am going to do something similar to what you did with the USPCBs. I suspect the USPCB makes a great difference too.

May 20, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #217 of 442
There's HTTX USB 3 couplers in Amazon and I ordered the 2 pack to pair with my 3rd USPCB USB B.

It's weird but I'm gonna assume the USPCB is USB 2 due to the lack of pins. It's only 4 pins. But I got better performance using USB 3 vs the USB 2 coupler as mentioned earlier where the USB 2 coupler has the highs clipped and affected tonality, especially in MQA. Let's just assume it was the brand of the USB 2 coupler which I got in a wholesale mecca in Singapore.

I say it's weird too coz the ISO REGEN has a USB 3 hub but it only has USB 2 input and output. Shrugs.

I tried the putting a USPCB + coupler on the front end of the Corning but it made the sound worse. Interestingly it gave the same quality if the Corning and USB Flash drive lives on the same USB hub. It also sounds similar if I were to double up on the Corning. The common sonic quality is the upper mids and highs is more forward, which may make it appear like you are front row but piano sounds weird on decay and transients and bass is weak (but on the Audeze you'd think it evened out the bass quantity).

To anyone buying the USPCB, know it needs 80-100 burn-in. Why? No idea. But these couplers don't need burn in. Ugh

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #218 of 442
My amazement with iSilencer is the same. It doesn't add anything to the sound but always cleans it. If the isilencer adds something then it's a 'canary' telling you something else in the chain is off. It was only after the Corning that adding the isilencer lifted the noise floor a bit.

I think the iPurifier has it's purpose in cheaper DACS and sources. Sadly it doesn't scale like the isilencer and idefender.

While I'm here, I got some new USB 3 couplers and it seems to affirm my theory on noise management where adding more couplers make the sound better. More space and more coherence and ease of listening. No added layer of veil and it is to be mentioned I've had my battles on veil being introduced when something is added to the chain. Idefender/isilencers/hubs can introduce veil in some ways or another for example. Ohh, with that said, a simple way to test if your isilencer is in an unideal place in the chain is if it cuts off the highs a bit. You know it works in the chain if it maintains the energy in the highs and cleans out the mids.

With that said. I dunno why adding USB couplers up to 3 improves the sound. My only theory is it's another method of noise reduction by letting less current contaminate the data lines to the DAC.

Interestingly, when I did USB 3 coupler to USB 2 coupler (what I had previously in the chain) it hurts the sound where the release in the highs were cramped and flat.

Truly nice work you did, thank you.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 21, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #221 of 442
Jesus dude, just use optical!

I've tried optical and I'm done listening to sheeps praising optical. I've bought the U8 and the matrix x Spdif 2 and sysconcept 1300 fiberoptic cables. While it had a good run it and had dual lps on the matrix x Spdif 2 + Corning, it couldn't match my current setup. Plus optical is limited to 192/24 while I'm enjoying the added benefit of upconverting my files to dsd8x and saved myself from needing a m scaler.

May 22, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #223 of 442
I've tried optical and I'm done listening to sheeps praising optical. I've bought the U8 and the matrix x Spdif 2 and sysconcept 1300 fiberoptic cables. While it had a good run it and had dual lps on the matrix x Spdif 2 + Corning, it couldn't match my current setup. Plus optical is limited to 192/24 while I'm enjoying the added benefit of upconverting my files to dsd8x and saved myself from needing a m scaler.

Ok cool each to their own but remember optical cant technically make the sound worse so that will be your preference talking if you own a dac that has excellent internal clocking jitter suppression like RME/Chord. Obviously the downside is if your in to upsampling its a no go.

I'll just put this in here before i leave, this is mojo on a cheapo opitcal cable from a laptop.

Mojo OPT jitter.jpg

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #225 of 442
So I have tested the following combination:

Regen USPCB adaptor with VBUS off is better than on. Subtle but can be heard, - has more analogue/smoothness, more air
Now isilencer should be as close to the DAC to have best effect:

PC-->USB cable -->isilencer ---> Regen USPCB VBUS off ---> DAC is better than : PC--> isilencer ---> USB cable -----> Regen USPCB VBUS off ---> DAC

Currently I am testing using only USB adaptors/coupler
PC --> USB coupler ---> USB coupler ---> isilencer ---> USPCB VBUS off. ---> DAC

I am not sure if it is better than: PC-->USB cable -->isilencer ---> Regen USPCB VBUS off ---> DAC

It is late and my wife is trying to sleep, (she sleeps early at 9pm!) so I can't really test properly now

See the pics, unfortunately the USB coupler closest to the PC (on Right side) is oriented wrong, so I have to flip the PC upside down! I may replace it with another Regen USPCB.

I can see the Regen USPCB + isilencer ma be great combination.

Attachments

• KeGqN5pfTya5MSSxqRmXuw.jpg
    KeGqN5pfTya5MSSxqRmXuw.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • NyOc7HE7RUmr3+QUor1mTw.jpg
    NyOc7HE7RUmr3+QUor1mTw.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back