iFi audio iPower X - The Official Thread
Apr 2, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #211 of 505
First night's impressions:

Very clean sounding. Blacker background and crisper transients when using the iPower Elite 15V to power my Pro Stack vs my Keces P8 linear power supply. Cleans up a haze that I hadn't realized was part of the iCan Pro's sound. Not sure yet if it removes some of the Pro Stack's characteristic warmth as a result.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #212 of 505
@iFi audio, @Sebastien Chiu, are there advantages to powering the Pro components in series (via the DC Loop out) versus powering them separately?

I've always known that they could share a single power source, but until I got the iPower Elite, I have powered them separately from two linear power supplies. I assumed that more power coming in = "better."

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #213 of 505
@iFi audio, @Sebastien Chiu, are there advantages to powering the Pro components in series (via the DC Loop out) versus powering them separately?

I've always known that they could share a single power source, but until I got the iPower Elite, I have powered them separately from two linear power supplies. I assumed that more power coming in = "better."

The ability to power Pro components in series is for convenience. But ideally two power feeds should work better, but their quality might factor in as well. All digital devices are in general quite sensitive to power quality.

Blacker background and crisper transients

That's exactly what extra noise removal does. Black background, lack of grain and less nervous playback are hints that a power supply does what it should :wink:

I received the "new" iPower Elite from Amazon yesterday. Strangely, the box was not shrink-wrapped in plastic. It looked like it had already been opened and taped back shut. The power supply itself is working fine, but I was a little put off by that.

I'm sorry to hear that and I don't know why this happened, but apologies nonetheless.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 4, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #214 of 505
Second night's impressions:

Adding the iPower Elite to my headphone system has the same effect as using a quality silver cable with my headphones. In addition to experiencing a blacker background and crisper transients, I would add that the bass is better defined and well-rounded.

I listened to some trance/EDM tracks (ATB, Above & Beyond) and Daft Punk while switching between the Keces P8 and iPower Elite power supplies.

With the Keces powering the iCan Pro on the A&B track, "Can't Sleep (ATB Remix)," the bass dominated the track and was a bit overwhelming, not unlike the overhyped bass on my Sony WH-1000XM4. When I switched in the iPower Elite, the bass firmed up and became better-defined. I like clubby songs to have lots of bass but not sloppy bass.

The change in bass quality was also apparent with higher quality tracks like Daft Punk's 24-88 version of "Get Lucky." When using the iPower Elite with the iDSD, the bass notes on "Get Lucky" were more distinct and didn't blur together. However, that accuracy came with a corresponding reduction in overall bass quantity.

Bass slam was consistently good between the two power supplies on tracks like Daft Punk's "Lose Yourself To Dance."

I like the tradeoff of less bass for better bass, but I'm not a bass head.

While the bass in my headphone system is plentiful and hits hard with the Keces P8, there is a definite improvement in bass definition and separation when using the iPower Elite.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #215 of 505

Adding the iPower Elite to my headphone system has the same effect as using a quality silver cable with my headphones. In addition to experiencing a blacker background and crisper transients, I would add that the bass is better defined and well-rounded.

I listened to some trance/EDM tracks (ATB, Above & Beyond) and Daft Punk while switching between the Keces P8 and iPower Elite power supplies.

With the Keces powering the iCan Pro on the A&B track, "Can't Sleep (ATB Remix)," the bass dominated the track and was a bit overwhelming, not unlike the overhyped bass on my Sony WH-1000XM4. When I switched in the iPower Elite, the bass firmed up and became better-defined. I like clubby songs to have lots of bass but not sloppy bass.

The change in bass quality was also apparent with higher quality tracks like Daft Punk's 24-88 version of "Get Lucky." When using the iPower Elite with the iDSD, the bass notes on "Get Lucky" were more distinct and didn't blur together. However, that accuracy came with a corresponding reduction in overall bass quantity.

Bass slam was consistently good between the two power supplies on tracks like Daft Punk's "Lose Yourself To Dance."

While the bass in my headphone system is plentiful and hits hard with the Keces P8, there is a definite improvement in bass definition and separation when using the iPower Elite.
Thank you for sharing your findings. I'm especially interested in iCan Pro: how would you describe changes from iCan iPower Plus when upgrading to iPower Elite? Is is substantial for example?

Apr 5, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #216 of 505
There's no leakage current. Our units have a special transformer design that allows the Y-capacitor to be reduced 22 - 100 times in comparison to most similar devices.

This refers to X version or both?

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #217 of 505
We love the iFi iPowerX adapters, as well as the original iPower adapters. Having played with them in my personal system and replacing everything that I could with the original iPower adapters, I cannot wait to (in the future!) try out the iPowerX adapters.
We are resellers of iFi products, but honestly if you buy no other iFi products, you should seriously consider the AC adapters!

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #218 of 505

Thanks a lot for your feedback. And I agree, better bass definition is yet another benefit of cleaner power.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 6, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #220 of 505
Third night's impressions:

The sound improvements gained from the iPower Elite inspired me to revamp my headphone system. It brought on some of that crazy audiophile upgrade energy.

I unplugged everything and rearranged the gear on my audio rack. I put the iPower Elite on isolation cones. I added the iFi Audio Nano Galvanic back into the digital chain. I swapped out my Supra power cables for my older PS Audio power cables (Supra makes great digital cables, but there's no comparison between their elegant and flexible cables and the heavy and giant snake-like PS Audio cables when it comes to sound quality).

Since then, I've just been playing music. The sound is much cleaner and compulsively listenable. No swapping back and forth between power supplies for a few days now.

I expect to receive my second iPower Elite today in the mail, so I'll have one powering the iDSD Pro and one for the iCan Pro, both connected to PS Audio AC-5 power cables.

I'll report in after putting the new iPower in my system and doing further listening.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #221 of 505
The sound improvements gained from the iPower Elite inspired me to revamp my headphone system. It brought on some of that crazy audiophile upgrade energy.

I unplugged everything and rearranged the gear on my audio rack. I put the iPower Elite on isolation cones. I added the iFi Audio Nano Galvanic back into the digital chain. I swapped out my Supra power cables for my older PS Audio power cables (Supra makes great digital cables, but there's no comparison between their elegant and flexible cables and the heavy and giant snake-like PS Audio cables when it comes to sound quality).

Since then, I've just been playing music. The sound is much cleaner and compulsively listenable. No swapping back and forth between power supplies for a few days now.

I expect to receive my second iPower Elite today in the mail, so I'll have one powering the iDSD Pro and one for the iCan Pro, both connected to PS Audio AC-5 power cables.

I'll report in after putting the new iPower in my system and doing further listening.

I look forward to your findings. One tiny rework can go undetected, but multiple are able to significantly change and elevate the result.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #222 of 505
tempImageu1J0U1.jpg

I took a bunch of stream-of-consciousness notes over the last few nights.

Fourth/fifth night's impressions:

I'm now the owner of two iPower Elites that are powering my Pro stack. Part of me is thinking, "Why did I just bankroll my iFi stack with $600 of power supplies instead of spending that on new gear (i.e., a better headphone amp)?" Having some buyers remorse when thinking about it.

A little frustrated that the iPower Elite doesn't weigh more. It's solid, but not brick level heavy. When I hooked up the big PS Audio AC-5 power cables to the back, the iPower wants to roll over on its side because of the weight dragging it back. Had to secure the Elites with some brass Mapleshade weights. Definite advantage of the big and heavy Keces P8 power supplies -- they don't get dragged around by heavy power cables.

New iPower addition to power iCan Pro = overwhelming bass at first, then more controlled as the evening went on. No lack of bass here! Mostly listening with Hifiman HE-1000SE headphones with cameo appearances from Senn HD800S, HD6XX and Denon AH-D7200. HE-1000SE sounds best to me right now, and it is my default go-to.

Turned down volume of headphone amp -- everything seems louder now. Details like crazy -- all the background parts in songs are now audible. Three-dimensional quality to music with background parts now being louder and clearer than before. No need to swap in silver headphone cables, Norne Draug 3 (copper) cable sounds great. Cowboy Junkies' "Sweet Jane" in DSD64 is a revelation.

I just want to keep listening to music. Hard to stop going through my music library. Keep asking, "Well, how would this song sound in this setup? How about this one?" Checking out a lot of tunes I haven't visited in a while.

Note: not everything sounds good anymore -- iCan Pro "warmth" still there, but more clarity, tube mode no longer making all bad stuff sound "better." Improved power supply = increased harshness with bad music or am I now hearing the true crappiness of poorly-recorded music that sounded okay before? I can make out lyrics to songs I've never been able to hear before, but is clarity gain>loss of warmth?

Average-to-well-recorded music sounds great. Doing a lot of listening without using tubes. iCan Pro and iDSD Pro both on solid state, with iDSD on DSD1024 upsampling and bit-perfect filter for 44 kHz music. No upsampling for hi-res tunes. Never used to do that, always used upsampling+tubed mode before. An iFi dealer once told me that the iCan Pro is very "clean-sounding," and that I'd have to spend a bit more to better it. I really hear what he meant now.

Is my system now as optimized as the Pro Stack can get? Upgraded iPower Elite power supplies, new iFi Mercury 3.0 cable, reintroduced Nano iGalvanic into system. iDSD Pro can still have external word clock added, maybe just full optimization for iCan Pro.

Not much of a gap between using iDSD internal microSD card and USB connection from Summus streamer, after making improvements to power and upgrading USB cable. Kind of prefer streaming now, actually.

Changes to my system haven't changed the overall character of the Pro stack -- if you like iCan Pro/iDSD Pro or hate them before making upgrades, adding iPower Elite(s) not going to change that. Degree of improvement not equal to getting a new piece of equipment, but cheaper in the short-term to do it this way.

Happy with the changes overall.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #223 of 505
tempImageu1J0U1.jpg

I took a bunch of stream-of-consciousness notes over the last few nights.

Fourth/fifth night's impressions:

I'm now the owner of two iPower Elites that are powering my Pro stack. Part of me is thinking, "Why did I just bankroll my iFi stack with $600 of power supplies instead of spending that on new gear (i.e., a better headphone amp)?" Having some buyers remorse when thinking about it.

A little frustrated that the iPower Elite doesn't weigh more. It's solid, but not brick level heavy. When I hooked up the big PS Audio AC-5 power cables to the back, the iPower wants to roll over on its side because of the weight dragging it back. Had to secure the Elites with some brass Mapleshade weights. Definite advantage of the big and heavy Keces P8 power supplies -- they don't get dragged around by heavy power cables.

New iPower addition to power iCan Pro = overwhelming bass at first, then more controlled as the evening went on. No lack of bass here! Mostly listening with Hifiman HE-1000SE headphones with cameo appearances from Senn HD800S, HD6XX and Denon AH-D7200. HE-1000SE sounds best to me right now, and it is my default go-to.

Turned down volume of headphone amp -- everything seems louder now. Details like crazy -- all the background parts in songs are now audible. Three-dimensional quality to music with background parts now being louder and clearer than before. No need to swap in silver headphone cables, Norne Draug 3 (copper) cable sounds great. Cowboy Junkies' "Sweet Jane" in DSD64 is a revelation.

I just want to keep listening to music. Hard to stop going through my music library. Keep asking, "Well, how would this song sound in this setup? How about this one?" Checking out a lot of tunes I haven't visited in a while.

Note: not everything sounds good anymore -- iCan Pro "warmth" still there, but more clarity, tube mode no longer making all bad stuff sound "better." Improved power supply = increased harshness with bad music or am I now hearing the true crappiness of poorly-recorded music that sounded okay before? I can make out lyrics to songs I've never been able to hear before, but is clarity gain>loss of warmth?

Average-to-well-recorded music sounds great. Doing a lot of listening without using tubes. iCan Pro and iDSD Pro both on solid state, with iDSD on DSD1024 upsampling and bit-perfect filter for 44 kHz music. No upsampling for hi-res tunes. Never used to do that, always used upsampling+tubed mode before. An iFi dealer once told me that the iCan Pro is very "clean-sounding," and that I'd have to spend a bit more to better it. I really hear what he meant now.

Is my system now as optimized as the Pro Stack can get? Upgraded iPower Elite power supplies, new iFi Mercury 3.0 cable, reintroduced Nano iGalvanic into system. iDSD Pro can still have external word clock added, maybe just full optimization for iCan Pro.

Not much of a gap between using iDSD internal microSD card and USB connection from Summus streamer, after making improvements to power and upgrading USB cable. Kind of prefer streaming now, actually.

Changes to my system haven't changed the overall character of the Pro stack -- if you like iCan Pro/iDSD Pro or hate them before making upgrades, adding iPower Elite(s) not going to change that. Degree of improvement not equal to getting a new piece of equipment, but cheaper in the short-term to do it this way.

Happy with the changes overall.

That's a lovely feedback, thanks a lot :beerchug:

And you're right that better power doesn't change how your setup sounds like, but what you already have gets noticeably better :)

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #224 of 505
Would it be feasible for me to buy an IFI Power X if I'm running a Tice Audio Solo power conditioner in one outlet and a Tice Super Powerline Enhancer in the other wall outlet in the same room?

Powering my dac is just a regular 12 volt adapter I found to the specs of my amp since an adapter was excluded when it arrived.

Would this in any way alter the characteristics of my audio? I must admit, this thing sounds freegen-tastic now!!!

Thanks in advance !!

Apr 9, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #225 of 505
Would it be feasible for me to buy an IFI Power X if I'm running a Tice Audio Solo power conditioner in one outlet and a Tice Super Powerline Enhancer in the other wall outlet in the same room?

Powering my dac is just a regular 12 volt adapter I found to the specs of my amp since an adapter was excluded when it arrived.

Would this in any way alter the characteristics of my audio? I must admit, this thing sounds freegen-tastic now!!!

Thanks in advance !!

Our best advice is to put it in your system and try it out! Report back when you grab it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back