iFi audio - Introducing the ZEN DAC Signature V2 and ZEN CAN Signature HFM, Perfectly Balanced As All Things Should Be!
Dec 31, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #139 of 212
The black one is the ipower2. It is Cheaper than the ipowerx

I can't find anything about iPower2 and even though official site shows that 6XX ships with a black wallwart all reviews and drop show iPowerX so did you actually see a store-bought HFM coming with that black wallwart? Speculations are one thing buddy :)

Dec 31, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #140 of 212
I can't find anything about iPower2 and even though official site shows that 6XX ships with a black wallwart all reviews and drop show iPowerX so did you actually see a store-bought HFM coming with that black wallwart? Speculations are one thing buddy :)
Our iPower X (white) is quieter than iPower2 (black), so better. The first batch that included the former as a bonus is now sold, hence iPower2 instead that's still very good!
I'm pretty sure the HFM I had was with the black version.

Jan 4, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #141 of 212
@iFi audio: so what's the deal with the PSU that ships with HFM & 6XX ZEN CAN's please?

This review shows iPowerX for 6XX ZEN CAN just like current drop.com listing: https://headfonics.com/ifi-audio-zen-signature-set-review/

1641347421563.png

But official site shows iPower2 black wallwart for 6XX/HFM ZEN CAN and several actual buyers in the US also got it, what gives please?

And as much as you used to provide EU/US/OZ/UK prongs with iPower1, you're going cheap on iPowerX with a single plate so how could I obtain a EU plate if I get it from drop.com please?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #142 of 212
@iFi audio: so what's the deal with the PSU that ships with HFM & 6XX ZEN CAN's please?

This review shows iPowerX for 6XX ZEN CAN just like current drop.com listing: https://headfonics.com/ifi-audio-zen-signature-set-review/

1641347421563.png

But official site shows iPower2 black wallwart for 6XX/HFM ZEN CAN and several actual buyers in the US also got it, what gives please?

And as much as you used to provide EU/US/OZ/UK prongs with iPower1, you're going cheap on iPowerX with a single plate so how could I obtain a EU plate if I get it from drop.com please?
They ll not answer You :)))

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #143 of 212
Mayhap the usual story of sending golden samples to reviewers and hooking up a deal with drop when OTOH actual retail buyers get a half-cheaper PSU, "not seen, not caught" as we say in french ^^

I'll more than likely plunge for the drop offer so a EU plate for iPowerX would hit the spot. I believe I read someone in drop comments stating he managed to obtain one after whining in public.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #144 of 212
Well, well IFI! My Zen Can Signature V2 HFM died only after 4 months of use and is completely dead with no lights anywhere. I have issues with Go Blue disconnecting, the xDSD Gryphons amp was not as good as expected and the iDSD micro signature had issues with unfolding MQA. IFI, what is goiing on?

Jan 19, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #145 of 212
I am considering getting an iFi Zen Dac Signature, either v1 or v2. V1 version is less expensive now, around 25% less than V2, so that is a plus for the V1.

@iFi audio why is the newer V2 supplied with a regular 5V power supply, while the V1 is/was supplied with the iPowerX? With this difference, I assume the V1 will sound best out-of-the-box...

Jan 19, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #146 of 212
I am considering getting an iFi Zen Dac Signature, either v1 or v2. V1 version is less expensive now, around 25% less than V2, so that is a plus for the V1.

@iFi audio why is the newer V2 supplied with a regular 5V power supply, while the V1 is/was supplied with the iPowerX? With this difference, I assume the V1 will sound best out-of-the-box...
I saw a reviewer said the v1 is more punchy, warm and fluid than the v2 that was very clinical

Jan 24, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #147 of 212
I have had a chance to listen to the Zen Dac Sig V2 and so far I am really impressed. I would have to do more testing (and I will this week) but this dac has a dead silent background, and I mean to me, DEAD silent. In fact I had my speakers on initially and there was a delay in my song starting and didn't realize it, I then shut everything down, because I thought I didn't connect something up right, LMAO.

My first thought was something was wrong, but there wasn't it's just this Zen Sig. V2 is just that quiet, eerily so lol.

I have checked the RCA and also balanced out and both sound awesome, with a little more punch obviously going to the Balanced outs.

Will do more in depth testing this week, but so far for me this a 110% keeper!

Cheers!!
Hi, apologies if you've updated your impressions and I've missed it, but I wonder if you've kept the initial (good) impression. I'm using a Zen Strem with an Hegel H95, via Coax, to stream Tidal (so as to avoid using MConnect and issues with volume control). USB out doesn't work because of some sort of issue related to Tidal and the non-bit perfect USB input of the Hegel. The SQ is excellent (btw, I use Revel Performa M3 106 bookshelves), although I detect a bit of a bass bost, compared to streaming using the internal Hegel engine. I thought that pairing the Zen Stream with the Signature V2 could be an affordable, and simple, way of improving things further, preferably via USB, but I wonder if this DAC is really the way to go, or if I should think of something like the Denafrips Ares II (although I would miss the option of MQA, but this is not really a deal breaker for me). I listen to all types of music, though most of the time jazz, piano and chamber music e male (Nick Cave, Cohen) and females singers (eg. Jazz, Patricia Barber, Joni Mitchel). Thanks for sharing

Jan 31, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #148 of 212
Hi all respected member

I'm a long time Ifi user back in the day of Ifi Nano I-one.

I have this problem with my car set up

Source : Android Head unit running Neutron app with direct USB out
Connection : USB
DAC : Zen Signature V2 firmware 2.20 ( try flashing 2.30 several time with no luck )
Gain switch set to variable
Tube buffer : Ifi Itube v.1 with buffer
Single ended RCA out to Helix Psix processor.
Both DAC and buffer using Ifi power wall wart running from 220V inverter.

Some of the FLAC file with female singer and some instrument, I reckon somewhere around 2500Hz ~3500Hz produce Awful noise. Like crackling.
This does not happened with DSD file.

When I set up the gain to fixed, it got worse, so I dial down the gain knob.

I wonder if this issue is inherent in the DAC/Architecture or my unit somewhat flawed?

Many thanks before for your opinion / enlightenment

Stan

Attachments

• 16436845114864922760137148160187.jpg
    16436845114864922760137148160187.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #149 of 212
Hi all respected member

I'm a long time Ifi user back in the day of Ifi Nano I-one.

I have this problem with my car set up

Source : Android Head unit running Neutron app with direct USB out
Connection : USB
DAC : Zen Signature V2 firmware 2.20 ( try flashing 2.30 several time with no luck )
Gain switch set to variable
Tube buffer : Ifi Itube v.1 with buffer
Single ended RCA out to Helix Psix processor.
Both DAC and buffer using Ifi power wall wart running from 220V inverter.

Some of the FLAC file with female singer and some instrument, I reckon somewhere around 2500Hz ~3500Hz produce Awful noise. Like crackling.
This does not happened with DSD file.

When I set up the gain to fixed, it got worse, so I dial down the gain knob.

I wonder if this issue is inherent in the DAC/Architecture or my unit somewhat flawed?

Many thanks before for your opinion / enlightenment

Stan
I had this problem a couple of times - for me it goes away if I only use USB power.
It may have been the particular power supply unit I use.

Feb 5, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #150 of 212
I had this problem a couple of times - for me it goes away if I only use USB power.
It may have been the particular power supply unit I use.
My zen dac signature has popping noises when I minimize the audio latency on Ifi control app. It gets better if I increase the latency time but the audio quality is impacted:frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back