iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Apr 28, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #1,411 of 2,172
I just talked with IFI UK. If you have this left right unbalanced issue at low volumes they suggest moving the iem switch to high sensitivity, instead of OFF. I will try this later.

also suggest turning the signature on/off without headphones connected to avoid hearing the pop/click switch sound.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #1,412 of 2,172
Thank you Chribs, you just saved me purchasing a 4.4 cable.
what I don’t understand is why IFI UK recommend Balanced when talking to them on phone this week ?

Quite a loud switch sound when turning on/off. I have to remove headphones when turning on/off due to loud sound. Also at low volumes only left side audio. Strange

HELLO, i have this exact same issue as you explained and at similar volume levels. My headphones are Focal Radiance with 6.35mm connection. I don’t have 4.4 to test.
Very frustrating. Also horrible click sound when turning on/off.

Hello IFI,

Please can you reply on this thread about the frustrations regarding sound left to right. If we have this issue do we need an exchange? I have this problem.

I just talked with IFI UK. If you have this left right unbalanced issue at low volumes they suggest moving the iem switch to high sensitivity, instead of OFF. I will try this later.

also suggest turning the signature on/off without headphones connected to avoid hearing the pop/click switch sound.

Hi mate,

We recommend balanced to everyone - it's something that runs throughout all of our products and it's entirely up to you if you want to use it.

A pentaconn connector works with the 4.4 S-balanced connectors.

RE: left-right channel imbalance, this is standard with all analog volume knobs: https://ifi-audio.com/faqs/channel-imbalance

Please read up on this and if you still have a question let me know.

RE: The click on and off, the Signature does have it, but it should not be a loud on-off. A click, however, is quite normal.

Please open up a support ticket here if you feel a need for a replacement is necessary and we'll get you taken care of - https://support.ifi-audio.com/open.php

Also, if you could please roll all of your replies into one post that would be great next time around.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #1,413 of 2,172
Hi mate,

We recommend balanced to everyone - it's something that runs throughout all of our products and it's entirely up to you if you want to use it.

A pentaconn connector works with the 4.4 S-balanced connectors.

RE: left-right channel imbalance, this is standard with all analog volume knobs: https://ifi-audio.com/faqs/channel-imbalance

Please read up on this and if you still have a question let me know.

RE: The click on and off, the Signature does have it, but it should not be a loud on-off. A click, however, is quite normal.

Please open up a support ticket here if you feel a need for a replacement is necessary and we'll get you taken care of - https://support.ifi-audio.com/open.php

Also, if you could please roll all of your replies into one post that would be great next time around.
Thank you

Apr 29, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #1,415 of 2,172
Apr 29, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #1,416 of 2,172
Yes that's the right cable and it should work. Bit of a big stack. Wouldn't you be better off with a chromecast audio though? (if using Android phone)
I was using Chromecast audio for a while and then decided to dedicate an iPhone SE to transport duties. :)

iFi iDSD Signature Chromcast Audio TOSLINK by Hilton, on Flickr

iFi iDSD Signature - iPhone SE - Perfect! by Hilton, on Flickr
Around 1 Kg but it's just for outside in the garden.

I essentially bought the BTA30 receiver to use my phone wirelessly, send signal to the RME DAC and then a tube amp in my future listening corner where I don't want to move the whole PC and all the stuff I have. BUT now this idea popped up in my head to stack the BTA30 with the iDSD and a battery pack. I'll think about it over the weekend

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #1,417 of 2,172
Around 1 Kg but it's just for outside in the garden.

I essentially bought the BTA30 receiver to use my phone wirelessly, send signal to the RME DAC and then a tube amp in my future listening corner where I don't want to move the whole PC and all the stuff I have. BUT now this idea popped up in my head to stack the BTA30 with the iDSD and a battery pack. I'll think about it over the weekend

Super creative stuff!

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #1,419 of 2,172
Yes that's the right cable and it should work. Bit of a big stack. Wouldn't you be better off with a chromecast audio though? (if using Android phone)
I was using Chromecast audio for a while and then decided to dedicate an iPhone SE to transport duties. :)

iFi iDSD Signature Chromcast Audio TOSLINK by Hilton, on Flickr

iFi iDSD Signature - iPhone SE - Perfect! by Hilton, on Flickr
I di have a similar stuff around here with the chromecast. No battery though, just on my desk. Also dedicated S10e.

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #1,420 of 2,172
After having the iDSD Signature for 5 days using to drive Focal Radiance. I am very happy with this combination. Excellent synergy. The Radiance delivers magnificent sub base without distortion and that includes Hans Zimmer movie soundtracks aswell as Deadmouse Electronica. I even leave the X Bass to ON which is super as it does not interfere with mid base.

my source includes:
is TV optical out when watching/listening to Movies and Shows.
iPhone/iPad with Apple Adapters when listening to TIDAL MQA Music.

Really excellent job. Also big thank you to Dan and Jake at iFi-Audio for answering my annoying questions. First class Support.

my Pantaconn cable arrives next week and will post some photos.

PS. If you have a channel imbalance issue when listening at very low volume [9 o’clock] with Focal Radiance/Clear you can simply turn iem match to high sensitivity. That fixes it.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,421 of 2,172
The Signature manages to drive my Diana V2 headphones decently. Not quite up to AC-powered desktop amplifier standards, but I'm pleasantly surprised at how much power this little device can put out!

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #1,422 of 2,172
Please advice.
I have the Stellia Focal (claimed to be easy to drive 35ohm).
For most sound impact, Is it recommended to listen with power set to Turbo and iematch to higher sensitivity?
or?
power set to Eco and iematch set to off?

Thanks

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #1,423 of 2,172
Hi colleagues, I found the following info on Ifi website, and am interested if this also applies to the Signature? "Is it possible to charge and play at the same time? Yes, you can charge and play at the same time. If you actually have the xDSD permanently attached to USB power it will enter “desktop” mode after the first time the battery is charged fully and the unit is turned off. In desktop mode, the battery is charged to ~ 70% and kept in maintenance mode. This state is maintained until the xDSD enters battery power mode (unplugged or turned on battery)." Thank you!

May 3, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #1,424 of 2,172
Does an external iFi's IEMatch (2.5mm) connected to the Signature (for Focal Stellia) provides a better sounnd presentation than the internal IEMatch emmbedded in the Signature? or is it redundent?

Thanks

May 3, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #1,425 of 2,172
If anyone here has the iFi DSD Signature (or anyother with xBass) + EE LX. Try this one with the xBass on and your bass head will be happy for the next month or so. :)

PS.: So Bass heaven that got me dizzy, but on a good way. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back