iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Feb 23, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #1,231 of 2,172
Thanks for the answer, but what I mean by battery life is how fast will battery wear down when a device will be connected to the AC almost all of the time.
Some kind of battery protection could be implemented, like keep charge it to 80% and let it discharge to 20% and again charge it to 80%.
I think it would prolong the life of the battery, keeping it at 100% and charge it continuosly while it is using is quite bad for lithium batteries AFAIK.
Basically the only thing that's keeping me from buying this.
I mean it's not a very complicated thing to implement.
Fiio does it with their BTR5. USB mode ? No problem, charge on or off...
It's not exactly rocket engineering

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #1,233 of 2,172
Basically the only thing that's keeping me from buying this.
I mean it's not a very complicated thing to implement.
Fiio does it with their BTR5. USB mode ? No problem, charge on or off...
It's not exactly rocket engineering
Same here...
Dethonray's Honey H1 cant isolate battery, same like ifi. I dont understand why they dont implement such a simple yet useful feature.
Ifi, look at xduoo xd-05 Bal, simple switch on the back. AC <-> Bat. And its much smaller, less powerful and more portable device.

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #1,234 of 2,172
Oh, whoops haha. I thought that PCM was a codec “type”, and that AAC, MQA, Ogg Vorbis, etc, were all “different” codec types. Are they technically all just considered PCM? Like PCM is the umbrella term and they’re all sub-categories?
Yeah they all decode to plain/simple PCM, those codecs are typically just compression types for PCM.

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #1,235 of 2,172
Thanks for the answer, but what I mean by battery life is how fast will battery wear down when a device will be connected to the AC almost all of the time.
Some kind of battery protection could be implemented, like keep charge it to 80% and let it discharge to 20% and again charge it to 80%.
I think it would prolong the life of the battery, keeping it at 100% and charge it continuosly while it is using is quite bad for lithium batteries AFAIK.
While I don't remember exactly where I read it, if the signature is in use and plugged in, it does stop charging at 80%. To be charged to 100 %, the unit must be shut off. I have one and can verify that this seems to be correct.

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #1,237 of 2,172
While I don't remember exactly where I read it, if the signature is in use and plugged in, it does stop charging at 80%. To be charged to 100 %, the unit must be shut off. I have one and can verify that this seems to be correct.

Looks like this was true for older devices. ASAIK, Black label has that "Desktop mode" feature, but it was removed from Signature's fw.
Selling replacement batteries is also profitable, so why bother, right ifi?
Business is business.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #1,238 of 2,172
Looks like this was true for older devices. ASAIK, Black label has that "Desktop mode" feature, but it was removed from Signature's fw.
Selling replacement batteries is also profitable, so why bother, right ifi?
Business is business.
Maybe you don't understand what I said. I own the newest version of the micro iDSD Signature. I can verify that it does stop charging when the unit is turned on at approximately 80%. So if you leave it plugged in all the time, it will not charge past that. To continue to be charged to 100%, the unit must be turned off.

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,239 of 2,172
Maybe you don't understand what I said. I own the newest version of the micro iDSD Signature. I can verify that it does stop charging when the unit is turned on at approximately 80%. So if you leave it plugged in all the time, it will not charge past that. To continue to be charged to 100%, the unit must be turned off.

Oh, sorry, that would be great.
But ifi mentioned a few times in this thread that internal battery can not be bypassed on Signature. So I am assuming they should know what they are talking about...

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #1,240 of 2,172
What do you mean....?

The device is always fed PCM or DSD, that's it.

This is correct @Sean_MR!

What @yiauta said is more or less correct!

@lubik96, The Micro iDSD has this feature built in to prolong the battery itself as much as possible.

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #1,241 of 2,172
But ifi mentioned a few times in this thread that internal battery can not be bypassed on Signature. So I am assuming they should know what they are talking about...
The battery is not bypassed, like iFi has said. The unit will not work without a battery. This does not mean it can't have circuitry to stop the charging at about 80% while the unit is turned on.

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #1,242 of 2,172

Just re-inforcing this to clear up your confusion as best I can, the Signature's internal battery can not be bypassed. but it does have the feature @yiauta mentioned as we do know a thing or two about batteries and how to prolong them in our devices as much as possible!

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,243 of 2,172
The battery is not bypassed, like iFi has said. The unit will not work without a battery. This does not mean it can't have circuitry to stop the charging at about 80% while the unit is turned on.

I see we're on the same wavelength! :beerchug:

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,244 of 2,172
Just re-inforcing this to clear up your confusion as best I can, the Signature's internal battery can not be bypassed. but it does have the feature @yiauta mentioned as we do know a thing or two about batteries and how to prolong them in our devices as much as possible!
But does that mean that juice is still sucked from the battery and at the same time the battery is recharged from charger?

Why do "Charger -> Battery -> System" and not "Charger -> system" once the battery is charged?
Maybe I just dont get it, but to me it looks useless and not very good for battery health.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,245 of 2,172
But does that mean that juice is still sucked from the battery and at the same time the battery is recharged from charger?

Why do "Charger -> Battery -> System" and not "Charger -> system" once the battery is charged?
Maybe I just dont get it, but to me it looks useless and not very good for battery health.
Yes.

Very basically, to prevent "electrical noise" from polluting the audio signal. Ideally, when the unit is used, it is not plugged in and running only on battery power. I mainly use mine as a desktop unit and leave it plugged in most of the time. I haven't been able to tell a difference, audibly, whether it is plugged in or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back