iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Feb 19, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #1,216 of 2,179

Can you tell me what is the Ugreen cable you’re using and how long it is? I’m quite into these dac/amp lately, and will also run it through my ipad, yet a usb-c hub and that long blue thicc cable seems like a cluster setup.

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #1,217 of 2,179
Can you tell me what is the Ugreen cable you’re using and how long it is? I’m quite into these dac/amp lately, and will also run it through my ipad, yet a usb-c hub and that long blue thicc cable seems like a cluster setup.

Just measured and its just over 7 inches from end to end.

Ugreen

I used a usb c hub at first and it caused weird problems that disappeared once I got the straight Ugreen cable. May just be related to the usb c hub I was using though.

Chibs

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,218 of 2,179
Hi fellas. I don't recall that this has been discussed already but I connected my iFi Signature to a transparent external DAC (specifically SMSL SH-9 THX) and it was a revelation. It really opened up the iFi Signature sound and the improvements brought about by X-Bass and 3D were more audible. They drove my Empyreans to new places. The Empyreans are great headphones but what's really good about them is that it really showcases the qualities of any DAC/AMP you connect it to and boy did the Signature + THX get showcased.

A couple of days ago I was auditioning the whole pro idsd suite because I wanted to see what an upgraded iFi house sound would be like (compared to my ultimate end goal Chord TT2 but I digress). Thankfully I didn't purchase anything yet because apparently all I needed was an inexpensive THX amp to maximize the Signature's DAC capabilities. Signature is definitely my favorite portable (prefer the house sound over the more analytical Diablo) and it's reaaally good as a portable device but apparently its DAC portion is capable of so much MORE than what its small amp portion allows it to do. On a transparent desktop amp the soundstage increased and the details and imaging significantly improved. Do yourself a favor and try it out because if you like the iFi Signature now, you should listen to the big improvements to its sound.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,219 of 2,179
Hi fellas. I don't recall that this has been discussed already but I connected my iFi Signature to a transparent external DAC (specifically SMSL SH-9 THX) and it was a revelation. It really opened up the iFi Signature sound and the improvements brought about by X-Bass and 3D were more audible. They drove my Empyreans to new places. The Empyreans are great headphones but what's really good about them is that it really showcases the qualities of any DAC/AMP you connect it to and boy did the Signature + THX get showcased.

A couple of days ago I was auditioning the whole pro idsd suite because I wanted to see what an upgraded iFi house sound would be like (compared to my ultimate end goal Chord TT2 but I digress). Thankfully I didn't purchase anything yet because apparently all I needed was an inexpensive THX amp to maximize the Signature's DAC capabilities. Signature is definitely my favorite portable (prefer the house sound over the more analytical Diablo) and it's reaaally good as a portable device but apparently its DAC portion is capable of so much MORE than what its small amp portion allows it to do. On a transparent desktop amp the soundstage increased and the details and imaging significantly improved. Do yourself a favor and try it out because if you like the iFi Signature now, you should listen to the big improvements to its sound.
So X-Bass works when used in DAC mode too? 3D in pre-amp/line-out is the one meant for speakers I believe, no?

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,220 of 2,179
So X-Bass works when used in DAC mode too? 3D in pre-amp/line-out is the one meant for speakers I believe, no?
TBH I probably I probably attributed the overall improvement to include 3D and XBass because I had them switched as well. Sorry I got too excited to share!

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #1,221 of 2,179
Was just going to question this myself. I sometimes use my Signature as a DAC for a hybrid tube amp and I notice no change when toggling Xbass and 3D. I know the Black Label had a direct or preamp toggle for the analogue output and if you used preamp then Xbass and volume control would work, but I don’t believe the Signature has preamp functionality.

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #1,222 of 2,179
Please help, I’ve accidentally uploaded the pro iDSD firmware (v2.08) onto my ifi micro idsd signature. My laptop identifies it as Pro iDSD and won’t play any music (Via iPhone/laptop)or let me update the firmware.
Is there a way to reset the unit to factory firmware?

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #1,223 of 2,179
Please help, I’ve accidentally uploaded the pro iDSD firmware (v2.08) onto my ifi micro idsd signature. My laptop identifies it as Pro iDSD and won’t play any music (Via iPhone/laptop)or let me update the firmware.
Is there a way to reset the unit to factory firmware?

Grab a support ticket here and our STS team will help you out with this: https://support.ifi-audio.com/open.php

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #1,224 of 2,179
Since the internal battery cannot by bypassed, is it safe to run it as desktop solution plugged 90% of the time?
Constant charging may wear battery pretty fast...
This is only thing holding me back, and it looks its the same for the new Diablo.
I think "Desktop" mode which would power the device directly from the AC is what we need.
Maybe that's just me, but this device seems more like an "easily transportable" but still "desktop" device, with possibility to run on the battery as a bonus...

@iFi audio, any comment on desktop mode or battery lifespan?

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #1,225 of 2,179
Since the internal battery cannot by bypassed, is it safe to run it as desktop solution plugged 90% of the time?
Constant charging may wear battery pretty fast...
This is only thing holding me back, and it looks its the same for the new Diablo.
I think "Desktop" mode which would power the device directly from the AC is what we need.
Maybe that's just me, but this device seems more like an "easily transportable" but still "desktop" device, with possibility to run on the battery as a bonus...

@iFi audio, any comment on desktop mode or battery lifespan?

Hey there,

Our battery lifespan for the Diablo and the Signature is as follows:

turbo = for the most demanding headphones (~6 hours).
normal = for medium-sensitivity headphones (~9 hours).
eco = for high-sensitivity IEMs (~12 hours).

These are just estimates, and it's important to note that some users have gotten longer hours out of each setting - it all depends on your usage with the rest of your system and your headphones.

There is no way to bypass the battery for a "desktop" mode, and it was made to be easily one or the other (portable) depending on your needs as a user.

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,226 of 2,179
Hey there,

eco = for the most demanding headphones (~6 hours).
turbo = for high-sensitivity IEMs (~12 hours).

These are just estimates, and it's important to note that some users have gotten longer hours out of each setting - it all depends on your usage with the rest of your system and your headphones.

There is no way to bypass the battery for a "desktop" mode, and it was made to be easily one or the other (portable) depending on your needs as a user.

I hope that helps!

Turbo = for the most demanding headphones (~6 hours).
Eco = for high-sensitivity IEMs (~12 hours).

Just switched turbo and Eco around :beerchug:

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #1,227 of 2,179
Turbo = for the most demanding headphones (~6 hours).
Eco = for high-sensitivity IEMs (~12 hours).

Just switched turbo and Eco around :beerchug:

Whoops!!! Corrected. Thank you for catching that on my end, my dyslexia got to me!

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #1,228 of 2,179
Are there any streaming services that the Signature’s PCM filters won’t work with due to different audio codecs (Apple Music with AAC, etc)? If so, is there a “base” filter that is used by default when played from these sources?

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #1,230 of 2,179
Hey there,

turbo = for the most demanding headphones (~6 hours).
eco = for high-sensitivity IEMs (~12 hours).

I hope that helps!
Thanks for the answer, but what I mean by battery life is how fast will battery wear down when a device will be connected to the AC almost all of the time.
Some kind of battery protection could be implemented, like keep charge it to 80% and let it discharge to 20% and again charge it to 80%.
I think it would prolong the life of the battery, keeping it at 100% and charge it continuosly while it is using is quite bad for lithium batteries AFAIK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back