iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Dec 4, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #721 of 2,172
Update: actually my 2019 MacBook Pro does not have SPDIF supported anymore, so that is not really an option.

Yep, Apple giveth and taketh away. And they do so with no advance notification.

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #723 of 2,172
I took a chance and ordered the Micro iDSD signature from Amazon. I've read the criticisms on this thread about the volume pot and other issues, but I couldn't find a comparable amp/DAC unit around the same price that has as much power, plus a balanced headphone out.

I looked at the Neo iDSD as an option, but I don't need Bluetooth, it has less power, and it lacks the standard iFi switches and buttons to change the sound.

I really enjoy the iFi house sound. I'm temporarily using the iDSD Pro in my desk setup. Previously, that spot was occupied by a Micro iDSD BL, but it died an untimely death. Hopefully, the iDSD Signature will work out as a replacement for the BL, so I can move the iDSD Pro back to my main system.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #724 of 2,172
Hi
Does anyone have chord mojo too?
Apart from being less powerful, how is your profile compared to signature?
Cheers
I have to say the Mojo is in no way compare with the signature in all aspects. The signature is not a natural sounding unit however it is definitely fun to listen to with lot of details and energy. It drives all my headphones with ease. It's simply worth more than it cost.

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #725 of 2,172
I took a chance and ordered the Micro iDSD signature from Amazon. I've read the criticisms on this thread about the volume pot and other issues, but I couldn't find a comparable amp/DAC unit around the same price that has as much power, plus a balanced headphone out.

I looked at the Neo iDSD as an option, but I don't need Bluetooth, it has less power, and it lacks the standard iFi switches and buttons to change the sound.

I really enjoy the iFi house sound. I'm temporarily using the iDSD Pro in my desk setup. Previously, that spot was occupied by a Micro iDSD BL, but it died an untimely death. Hopefully, the iDSD Signature will work out as a replacement for the BL, so I can move the iDSD Pro back to my main system.
If I was to plan to use it as a desktop DAC I would get the Neo. It is way more convenient to use especially one does not need to worry about battery level (it is running out very quickly) and unplug the USB C cable every time the signature is in no use (for safety reason I don't keep any electronic devices with internal battery charging while I am not attending). If you have a headphone that needs 3W (the max output from signature) power to drive you probably need a dedicated headphone amp.

Dec 6, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #726 of 2,172
I have to say the Mojo is in no way compare with the signature in all aspects. The signature is not a natural sounding unit however it is definitely fun to listen to with lot of details and energy. It drives all my headphones with ease. It's simply worth more than it cost.
Hi
What I would like to know is if mojo is complementary, different enough from signature to have both.
I have a fostex th900 m, gh2 grade and hifiman ananda.
I've read that mojo is an excellent combo with fostex and grade. They already sound great with ifi but I'm curious if the warmth of mojo would suit them
Cheers

Dec 6, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #727 of 2,172
Hi
What I would like to know is if mojo is complementary, different enough from signature to have both.
I have a fostex th900 m, gh2 grade and hifiman ananda.
I've read that mojo is an excellent combo with fostex and grade. They already sound great with ifi but I'm curious if the warmth of mojo would suit them
Cheers
I am not sure about how the signature will pair with your headphones as I don't have any of them. I do have the Mojo and also a Dragonfly Cobalt. The signature outperforms both of them using my B&W P7 which is an easy driven headphone and already sounds so good in the Mojo and Cobalt. The P7 is a forward sounding headphone and the signature is slightly forward sounding too with extended treble and punching bass. They get along with each other well. I don't see why the signature won't handle your headphones in a positive way.

Dec 6, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #729 of 2,172
I am not sure about how the signature will pair with your headphones as I don't have any of them. I do have the Mojo and also a Dragonfly Cobalt. The signature outperforms both of them using my B&W P7 which is an easy driven headphone and already sounds so good in the Mojo and Cobalt. The P7 is a forward sounding headphone and the signature is slightly forward sounding too with extended treble and punching bass. They get along with each other well. I don't see why the signature won't handle your headphones in a positive way.
I haven't explain it well. The signature sounds great with them but it is my only source right now and I would like to have some more to complement. Beside, I'm sure that chord mojo is not going to sound better since users compare signature with hugo 2. I'm just saying that I would like to have it as a complement if its sound presentation is quite different.
Right now I'm listening to my signature gh2 grado and they sound amazing.
Greetings.

Dec 6, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #730 of 2,172
I haven't explain it well. The signature sounds great with them but it is my only source right now and I would like to have some more to complement. Beside, I'm sure that chord mojo is not going to sound better since users compare signature with hugo 2. I'm just saying that I would like to have it as a complement if its sound presentation is quite different.
Right now I'm listening to my signature gh2 grado and they sound amazing.
Greetings.

Get a tube amp and connect to your iDSD Sig if you want a different sound. IMHO, DACs sound a lot closer to teacher versus comparing different amps.

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #732 of 2,172
Dec 7, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #733 of 2,172
Just made a comparison between GTO (5.3C firmware) and Bit Perfect filters tonight. I I kind of prefer the Bit Perfect setting that comes out a more transparent sounding with more micro details. The soundstage seems to be larger too with a clearer positioning. I will keep Bit Perfect for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back