iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Dec 7, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #736 of 2,172
Yes you can :wink: And you could use 5.20 as well, very good sounding !

Glad you enjoy both! Yes, you can use the 5.3c on the Sig ~ let us know what you think about the differences in sound when you A/B the firmware!

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #737 of 2,172
@iFi audio, because the Signature is always running on battery power as opposed to AC, there's no reason to use a linear power supply or iFi's own iPower X, which is why there's no iPower device included in the box, correct?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #738 of 2,172
@iFi audio, because the Signature is always running on battery power as opposed to AC, there's no need for a linear power supply or iFi's own iPower X, which is why there's no iPower device included in the box, correct?

Yes, correct! It was always designed to run on battery power as opposed to AC.

You can keep the USB C plugged in while using it but it isn't normally recommended for battery longevity reasons.

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #739 of 2,172
Yes, correct! It was always designed to run on battery power as opposed to AC.

You can keep the USB C plugged in while using it but it isn't normally recommended for battery longevity reasons.

I would add that you can hear noise from high powered multi port chargers. My 120 watt MBP combo charger creates very audible noise. Once I use a dedicated single charger, noise is gone.

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #740 of 2,172
I got the Signature in the mail today and have been listening to it for a few hours. Based on the comments in this thread, I let the iDSD warm up to room temperature before use and inserted the iGalvanic 3.0 in between my Mac mini and the iDSD Signature. I'll try it without the iGalvanic later.

First impressions:
Using my Senn HD800S headphones, I began with Adele's 25 to test the treble response and didn't cringe. :smile_phones: Nice job, even when the Signature was barely warmed up. Updated the firmware to 5.3c and switched between the Bit-Perfect and GTO filter. Next up, Beck and K.D. Lang in 24/96, the Herbie Nichols Trio, and a trusty Bach Concerto with Stern and Zukerman. All sounded great on the HD800S with the music slightly warmed by the Signature. Transients are nicely snappy with both filters. Decent amount of bass (even on the 800S) and good control over it. Definitely more definition and clarity than with my previous iDSD BL. My HD800S were very happy in Eco power mode with the volume turned to 12 o'clock.

After two hours of listening, I'm impressed. Need to listen more.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #741 of 2,172
I got the Signature in the mail today and have been listening to it for a few hours. Based on the comments in this thread, I let the iDSD warm up to room temperature before use and inserted the iGalvanic 3.0 in between my Mac mini and the iDSD Signature. I'll try it without the iGalvanic later.

First impressions:
Using my Senn HD800S headphones, I began with Adele's 25 to test the treble response and didn't cringe. :smile_phones: Nice job, even when the Signature was barely warmed up. Updated the firmware to 5.3c and switched between the Bit-Perfect and GTO filter. Next up, hi-res Beck, K.D. Lang, the Herbie Nichols Trio, and a trusty Bach Concerto with Stern and Zukerman. All sounded great on the HD800S with the music slightly warmed by the Signature. Transients are nicely snappy with both filters. Decent amount of bass (even on the 800S) and good control over it. Definitely more definition and clarity than with my previous iDSD BL. My HD800S were very happy in Eco power mode with the volume turned to 12 o'clock.

After two hours of listening, I'm impressed. Need to listen more.

Congrats! I tried the iGalvanic as well, but with DSD128 I was hearing some bits skipping so I took it out of the loop. Curious to know if you experience similar. Data was straight from my MacBook Pro.

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #742 of 2,172

First impressions:
Using my Senn HD800S headphones...
Same here: iDSD + HD800S and I'm still very happy with it. One question about the firmware version: can you give some more insight how these differ? For now I use the iDSD as it was delivered. Not sure about what effect on the sound the other version will have.

Dec 8, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #743 of 2,172
Same here: iDSD + HD800S and I'm still very happy with it. One question about the firmware version: can you give some more insight how these differ? For now I use the iDSD as it was delivered. Not sure about what effect on the sound the other version will have.
For me it sounds a bit more natural with acoustic instruments or vocals, using the 5.20 firmware. I use a Macbook Air, Audirvana, Direct mode, DSD or Hi res PCM files, DT1770.

Dec 8, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #744 of 2,172
The firmware I chose to use, version 5.3c, replaces the minimum-phase filter option on the iDSD Signature with iFi's "Gibbs Transient Optimised" (GTO) digital filter. They have an explanation of the GTO filter here on their website. It's intended to present a more "nautral" sound than the other filter options on the Signature.

The 5.3 firmware versions do DSD256/PCM384/MQA.
The 5.2 firmware versions do DSD512/PCM768/No MQA.

EDIT:
@iFi audio has confirmed that firmware version 5.3c gives you the GTO filter no matter which position you move the filter switch to, so it's GTO all the time unless you revert to firmware version 5.2.

If you're using the Signature's RCA outs to play music through speakers, I think firmware 5.2 is more suitable, as it imparts a more crisp and clear sound.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #746 of 2,172
@iFi audio, giveaways are nice, but how about spreading some Xmas cheer with holiday discounts on iFi's products? :christmas_tree:🎅:christmas_tree: + iFi discounts = :L3000:

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #747 of 2,172
The firmware I chose to use, version 5.3c, replaces the minimum-phase filter option on the iDSD Signature with iFi's "Gibbs Transient Optimised" (GTO) digital filter. They have an explanation of the GTO filter here on their website. It's intended to present a more "nautral" sound than the other filter options on the Signature.

The 5.3 firmware versions do DSD256/PCM384/MQA.
The 5.2 firmware versions do DSD512/PCM768/No MQA.
Yes I tried the GTO filter but prefer the standard filter with 5.20. Just a mater of taste :wink:

Dec 8, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #748 of 2,172
Yes I tried the GTO filter but prefer the standard filter with 5.20. Just a mater of taste :wink:
I downgraded the firmware to 5.20 and listened to music for a while. In comparison, think the sound is a little more laid-back/mellow with 5.3 versus 5.2. 5.2 is a bit more forward, so if 5.2 is front row seats, 5.3 is mid-row seats. I can see why 5.2 might sound more exciting than 5.3.

I went back to 5.3c because I like the GTO filter and prefer a more laid-back sound.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #750 of 2,172
Which firmware comes installed on the Signature?

That's a good question. I didn't check before I upgraded to 5.3c. If you install the Windows drivers, you can open up the iFi HD USB Audio control panel and find the firmware version under the "Info" tab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back