iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Oct 12, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #2,476 of 2,988
As Currawong indicated it was probably an interconnect cable adapter not a headphone cable.

Care to post a link to it ?

Doesn’t really matter, the headphone adapter is very straightforward and there are plenty of options.
Sure! I know there are other ones but knowing this company post a warning, I would feel less confident to take a chance on other companies who don't mention incompatibility with the Diablo. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Balan...6IjIuODQifQ==&sprefix=xlr+to+4,aps,142&sr=8-4

Oct 13, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #2,477 of 2,988
Sure! I know there are other ones but knowing this company post a warning, I would feel less confident to take a chance on other companies who don't mention incompatibility with the Diablo. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Balanced-Silver-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B082Y6XSSW/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1KCFOIBQNN81M&keywords=xlr+to+4.4mm&qid=1665603977&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjg5IiwicXNhIjoiMy40MSIsInFzcCI6IjIuODQifQ==&sprefix=xlr+to+4,aps,142&sr=8-4

Three things:

1. That is not the adapter you need to convert an XLR headphone cable to plug into the Diablo 4.4mm Pentaconn. That one is designed to adapt a 4.4mm cable to plug into an XLR output on an amplifier.

2. The same advertisement says this just below the warning you posted.

“ High resolving power, smooth sound transparent, clear and full of layered detail, IF moist, magnetic voice, full of powerful low frequency “

I would not put a lot of stock in anything they say, frankly it is quite apparent that the sellers grasp of the English language is not exceptional. Their warning is technically meaningless.

3. The adapter you do need is extremely simple, doesn’t need to be stated as compatible with portable amplifiers, desktop amplifiers, the Diablo specifically or anything. Just find a good quality one that plugs into the 4 pin XLR of you cable and has a 4.4mm male at the other end.

This is only confusing because you are looking at Chinese sellers on Amazon and making far to much of a warning that makes no sense if you understand what you need.

I don’t know where you are located but buy an adapter cable off a reputable manufacturer with a name that is well know and trustworthy.

Forza Audioworks in Poland are exceptional and have quite quick manufacture and delivery. I have three headphone cables and an interconnect cable from then. They know what they are doing and the quality is excellent. I just checked their site and you can configure a cable under the “Extenders/Pigtails” category. See screenshot below.

There are any number of quality manufacturers in the USA, you would probably find them advertising on this site.

If you want to buy through Amazon I have three headphone cables and a 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect cable from GUCraftsman on Amazon and they make excellent quality cables. The below is their short 4 pin XLR female to 4.4mm male headphone adapter cable of the type you need. This would also be an excellent choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Portable-Headphone-Adapter-Crystal/dp/B09DFM6955?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Screenshot from Forza page:
45709AD4-BF0D-4456-93B2-D83406956BE6.jpeg

Oct 13, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #2,478 of 2,988
Three things:

1. That is not the adapter you need to convert an XLR headphone cable to plug into the Diablo 4.4mm Pentaconn. That one is designed to adapt a 4.4mm cable to plug into an XLR output on an amplifier.

2. The same advertisement says this just below the warning you posted.

“ High resolving power, smooth sound transparent, clear and full of layered detail, IF moist, magnetic voice, full of powerful low frequency “

I would not put a lot of stock in anything they say, frankly it is quite apparent that the sellers grasp of the English language is not exceptional. Their warning is technically meaningless.

3. The adapter you do need is extremely simple, doesn’t need to be stated as compatible with portable amplifiers, desktop amplifiers, the Diablo specifically or anything. Just find a good quality one that plugs into the 4 pin XLR of you cable and has a 4.4mm male at the other end.

This is only confusing because you are looking at Chinese sellers on Amazon and making far to much of a warning that makes no sense if you understand what you need.

I don’t know where you are located but buy an adapter cable off a reputable manufacturer with a name that is well know and trustworthy.

Forza Audioworks in Poland are exceptional and have quite quick manufacture and delivery. I have three headphone cables and an interconnect cable from then. They know what they are doing and the quality is excellent. I just checked their site and you can configure a cable under the “Extenders/Pigtails” category. See screenshot below.

There are any number of quality manufacturers in the USA, you would probably find them advertising on this site.

If you want to buy through Amazon I have three headphone cables and a 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect cable from GUCraftsman on Amazon and they make excellent quality cables. The below is their short 4 pin XLR female to 4.4mm male headphone adapter cable of the type you need. This would also be an excellent choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Portable-Headphone-Adapter-Crystal/dp/B09DFM6955?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Screenshot from Forza page:
45709AD4-BF0D-4456-93B2-D83406956BE6.jpeg
Oops, I posted the wrong link! :/
Couldn't find the correct link that transform XLR to Pentaconn. :frowning2:
I'll post it if I find it or perhaps it's this one and I had a brain fart....:/.

Anyway, I will definitely check your recommendation on this site. It appears that MoonAudio doesn't sell this adapter now.

Oct 13, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #2,479 of 2,988
Oops, I posted the wrong link! :/
Couldn't find the correct link that transform XLR to Pentaconn. :frowning2:
I'll post it if I find it or perhaps it's this one and I had a brain fart....:/.

Anyway, I will definitely check your recommendation on this site. It appears that MoonAudio doesn't sell this adapter now.

It’s obviously the same “warning” regardless and the warning is nonsense.

Just grab one of these, the quality is great, it will do what you need and the price is very reasonable.

https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Por...l/dp/B09DFM6955?ref_=ast_sto_dp&tag=headfi-20

Oct 15, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #2,481 of 2,988
IMG_20221015_153234.jpg

Battling the Diablo Armor w/sorbothane sheet + ifi Elite 5v VS Diablo stock. optimized Samsung phone playing Tidal Atmos/Apple music Atmos to Cosemi optical USB cable to Stealth + silver occ cable.

Can peer through the music so much more with Armor. 😭😭😭 USB chain is still basic and I'm already happy with this.

Sorry I have to ask, what is the sorbothane sheet supposed to do ?

Oct 15, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #2,483 of 2,988
Dampening of the chassis. I have it on everything as much as possible. Improves the sound at lot. Staging is lower and music flow is calmer. None of that fake detail via distortion.

Sorry this is going to sound very critical but I have to ask the question and I can’t ask it any other way than directly.

So you put a Diablo in a box with other gear that it is connected to then wrap that box in sorbothane and you are telling me the sorbothane improves the sound “a lot” ?

I think the sound improvement you hear from the sorbothane is imagined. When there is nothing vibrating or moving in any way, all electronics, how does damping make any difference at all ?

Can you define “a lot” ?

If I wrapped my Diablo in 100mm deep multiple layers of sorbothane am I going to hear how immediately better it sounds because it is “a lot” better sounding ?

Oct 15, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #2,484 of 2,988
personally i keep mine in an antigravity field

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #2,485 of 2,988
I have noticed better sound on DIablo when it is charging from 20% and up. When it is full I actually prefere the iPower X as allround, even though the Elite charger has better lows(also gives the highs a darker touch)

The X has lower distortion than the stock charger, but do consume 0.5watt more than any other charger because of the stupid LED.

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #2,486 of 2,988
I have noticed better sound on DIablo when it is charging from 20% and up. When it is full I actually prefere the iPower X as allround, even though the Elite charger has better lows(also gives the highs a darker touch)

The X has lower distortion than the stock charger, but do consume 0.5watt more than any other charger because of the stupid LED.

Deleted - misread

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #2,487 of 2,988
Deleted - misread
I feel paralyzed now from just eating 1 chocolate bhutlah and 3 yellow habanero. I have so much pressure in my ear I can not confirm anything with them(x vs Elite) But last two weeks I felt the X did not have a huge impact on the sound signature. It was more cleaner rather than the "grainy" touch Elite gives.

I am using the Arya V2

Oct 16, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #2,488 of 2,988
Okay, I just drove the aeon 2 closed and Noire on 6.3 and 4.4 on turbo and have the pot just before 12 o'clock (on SE) on high dynamic range bassy tracks and there's no clipping on a stock Diablo. This is already playing louder than is required and the battery is far from being fully charged.

Oct 16, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #2,489 of 2,988
Okay, I just drove the aeon 2 closed and Noire on 6.3 and 4.4 on turbo and have the pot just before 12 o'clock (on SE) on high dynamic range bassy tracks and there's no clipping on a stock Diablo. This is already playing louder than is required and the battery is far from being fully charged.

Talk about coming full circle, this is beyond a joke !!!

You are obviously an experimenter but you don’t seem to be interested in actually understanding what is going on here.

Just before 12 o’clock SE on turbo is hardly even properly loud.

Take the headphones off your head and duplicate the problem, standard or better yet turbo and max the volume for a few seconds with a bass heavy song.

If you are not prepared to duplicate the problem please stop trying to convince others that the problem doesn’t exist. Plenty of people have observed and complained about the issue, myself included.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #2,490 of 2,988
Take the headphones off your head and duplicate the problem, standard or better yet turbo and max the volume for a few seconds with a bass heavy song.

If you are not prepared to duplicate the problem please stop trying to convince others that the problem doesn’t exist. Plenty of people have observed and complained about the issue, myself included.
Screenshot_20221016-192823.jpgScreenshot_20221016-192806.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back