iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Mar 30, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #2,041 of 2,990
which version of firmware do people use the latest 7.4 or the earlier diablo specific 7.0 / 7.0c as understood that had different sound properties?

Currently using 7.3b, but will update to 7.4b since I don't want the GTO filter (7.xc) and have no use for MQA decoding(7.x)

7.0(a/b/c) wasn't really diablo specific, was it? if you have this firmware, can you send me it? (unless it's the one already available from ifi's firmware page)

Mar 30, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #2,042 of 2,990
Currently using 7.3b, but will update to 7.4b since I don't want the GTO filter (7.xc) and have no use for MQA decoding(7.x)

7.0(a/b/c) wasn't really diablo specific, was it? if you have this firmware, can you send me it? (unless it's the one already available from ifi's firmware page)

is just off the ifi support page the 7.0 versions specifically had diablo against it

the newer firmware versions seem to be for multiple devices diablo included

currently trying 7.4c out will go back to 7.4b at some point to see what i prefer now sussed out how to do it

just using my fiio fh9 iems at the minute waiting for the hifiman anandas to arrive

thx

mat

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #2,043 of 2,990
Hmmm on the Mac there's no way to select which version of 7.4 I want? There's only a single installer >..<

Mar 31, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #2,044 of 2,990
Hmmm on the Mac there's no way to select which version of 7.4 I want? There's only a single installer >..<
hah yeah, just checked. it contains only iFi_XMOS_M0_v7.40_XU216.bin, which is v7.4(a)

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #2,045 of 2,990

hah yeah, just checked. it contains only iFi_XMOS_M0_v7.40_XU216.bin, which is v7.4(a)

I asked to see if we can get the rest of the options uploaded for you guys!

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #2,046 of 2,990
Question for Mr IFI : I know there is a ‘4.4mm to balanced adaptor‘ in the Diablo package but my amp (Moon i5.3) does not have balanced input (just rca). Is it possible to use the Diablo as a Dac only with RCAs? Do you sell this adaptor…and if you do, any downsides?

You can have a custom 4.4 to rca. I had 4.4 to trs made and one signal point was shorting to the barrel and it was making the sound half as loud as the other channel. And this is the expected result. All devices are still safe. Lol. So as 4.4 to rca, it should still operate normally. Just not a common cable to find.

What Mark said is correct.

@GuyM - You can absolutely use a custom 4.4 to RCA cable for your use case!

Apr 1, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #2,048 of 2,990
Apr 1, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #2,049 of 2,990
Apr 1, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #2,050 of 2,990
For folks asking for the 7.4 and 7.4c DMG files, please PM me and I would be happy to send them to you!

Apr 6, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #2,051 of 2,990
thx guys got some great guidance so far

thought would post initial update (not got balanced cable yet) after receiving the hifiman anandas

have a pretty high end hifi system which enjoy and am constantly tinkering with, but must say really impressed and enjoying the portable DAC/AMP and full sized headphone experience with Fiio M11+ > AQ carbon usb > ifipurifier3 > ifi diablo > hifima anandas

gives a very different presentation to the music which am really enjoying in my study at my PC, think been bitten by the headphone bug big time

has now got me wondering that the diablo would shine with a better set off headphones so been looking at hifiman arya stealth magnet / focal clear MG / focal clear MG professionl (not sure what difference is), anyone able to give a view on how these work with the ifi diablo and differences sound wise (i mainly listen to dance, rock, indie type of music in main)

Apr 6, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #2,052 of 2,990

thought would post initial update (not got balanced cable yet) after receiving the hifiman anandas

have a pretty high end hifi system which enjoy and am constantly tinkering with, but must say really impressed and enjoying the portable DAC/AMP and full sized headphone experience with Fiio M11+ > AQ carbon usb > ifipurifier3 > ifi diablo > hifima anandas

gives a very different presentation to the music which am really enjoying in my study at my PC, think been bitten by the headphone bug big time

has now got me wondering that the diablo would shine with a better set off headphones so been looking at hifiman arya stealth magnet / focal clear MG / focal clear MG professionl (not sure what difference is), anyone able to give a view on how these work with the ifi diablo and differences sound wise (i mainly listen to dance, rock, indie type of music in main)
The only difference between MG and MG Professional are accessories: Pro comes with long coil cable and an extra pair of earpads. Soundwise they're the same headphones.

Apr 6, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #2,053 of 2,990

The only difference between MG and MG Professional are accessories: Pro comes with long coil cable and an extra pair of earpads. Soundwise they're the same headphones.

I haven't heard the Arya Stealth, but can confirm the clear / clear MG professional would both be great options. The Focal house sound is a great fit for the Diablo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back