iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Aug 27, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #1,714 of 2,990
I have now tried a FiiO L28 3.5 coaxial cable between my FiiO M15 set to SPDIF to the Diablo and I am still not getting any sound out of the Diablo. Would anyone know what I might be doing wrong.

I have just tested this with another cable than yours, I had to reboot my m11 pro for it to work, but now it works.

Seeing how FiiO's coax pinout uses the sleeve and ring, not tip and sleeve, maybe the cable is not compatible.

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #1,715 of 2,990
I have just tested this with another cable than yours, I had to reboot my m11 pro for it to work, but now it works.

Seeing how FiiO's coax pinout uses the sleeve and ring, not tip and sleeve, maybe the cable is not compatible.
I did wonder if it was the cables as both I have the same layout. Would you be able to share the cable you used with your M11pro. Thanks

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #1,716 of 2,990
I did wonder if it was the cables as both I have the same layout. Would you be able to share the cable you used with your M11pro. Thanks

I have a small 3.5mm trrs to female rca adapter, and an old canon video cable. the adapter came with my FiiO X5 if i recall correctly. pinout:

1630055924716.png

FiiO sure loves not following standards...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #1,717 of 2,990
I have a small 3.5mm trrs to female rca adapter, and an old canon video cable. the adapter came with my FiiO X5 if i recall correctly. pinout:

1630055924716.png

FiiO sure loves not following standards...
Yep, the FiiO and the other cable I have been using are the same. It's helpful to know which 3.5 to get. I have just tried a two ring adapter that was, I think, bought some years ago for a video camera. And what do you know it worked. Thanks for the help.

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #1,718 of 2,990
When I first purchased a Diablo I also ordered an ifi USB cable and a FiiO coax adapter (having just the week before handed on my X5iii with its’ adapter).

When the FiiO COAX part turned up it didn’t work with the Diablo. It was the present catalogue FiiO part being sold, and my understanding is that the part changed between the variations of the FiiO X5 lineup (I-II-III)..

From what research I did a Sony model COAX adapter was ‘the one to use’, but I never got around to ordering it.
Heck the cost of the two ifi usb cables needed AND the COAX adapter (why it wasn’t included I cannot fathom), gave me pause to consider simply not buying them all and just keeping other parts handy (like the Chord Hugo I was using at the time, that also had regular RCA/phono conectors for standard output to every stereo...).

I really hope ifi are not doing these ‘accessory required’ to up the profit margin, but the lack of easy documentation to grab the RIGHT COAX part is a hassle.
The authorised ifi dealer in my country literally sold me the wrong COAX part (with appropriate waits between order and delivery); when I returned it to them I simply left it on the counter- the cost of the part was paultry compared to my time given on the project.

COAX is definately my preferred SPDIF transport...

Aug 28, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #1,719 of 2,990
When I first purchased a Diablo I also ordered an ifi USB cable and a FiiO coax adapter (having just the week before handed on my X5iii with its’ adapter).

When the FiiO COAX part turned up it didn’t work with the Diablo. It was the present catalogue FiiO part being sold, and my understanding is that the part changed between the variations of the FiiO X5 lineup (I-II-III)..

From what research I did a Sony model COAX adapter was ‘the one to use’, but I never got around to ordering it.
Heck the cost of the two ifi usb cables needed AND the COAX adapter (why it wasn’t included I cannot fathom), gave me pause to consider simply not buying them all and just keeping other parts handy (like the Chord Hugo I was using at the time, that also had regular RCA/phono conectors for standard output to every stereo...).

I really hope ifi are not doing these ‘accessory required’ to up the profit margin, but the lack of easy documentation to grab the RIGHT COAX part is a hassle.
The authorised ifi dealer in my country literally sold me the wrong COAX part (with appropriate waits between order and delivery); when I returned it to them I simply left it on the counter- the cost of the part was paultry compared to my time given on the project.

I have to agree.

If ifi had either included an adapter or documented the right coax this would have been very helpful, and saved me time and money buying cables that did not work. Which left me thinking that I had a mis-functioning Diablo, which I was preparing to send back.

I did contact local ifi support, that have been very helpful, however, in this case they too thought that TRRS 3.5mm coax cable would work. After so much time researching I discovered thanks to CH23 that a cheap adapter I had bought some years ago, worked. I have now ordered 3.5 adapter plug, that I am hoping will work.

I did find the same information on adapters on FiiO site - https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/63573.html?templateId=1133604 - that CH23 had also suggested. Which was also very helpful as I was planning to go up into the loft to drag out the coax adapter for my FiiO Q5s, which of course would not work.

Given all that came with the Diablo, and now knowing what coax is needed, it does seem strange that ifi audio did not add a coax adapter.

I guess I am still a little confused as to the best coax adapter. Would it be a two ring or one ring, the two ring appears to work, but both CH23 and FiiO are suggesting a one ring.

Maybe it would be helpful if ifi audio were to let it be known what they recommend.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-28 at 06.32.27.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-28 at 06.32.27.png
    630.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #1,720 of 2,990

The fault here really isn't with iFi. they follow the default standard, which is tip = signal, sleeve = ground. FiiO uses a different configuration.

Aug 28, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #1,721 of 2,990
The fault here really isn't with iFi. they follow the default standard, which is tip = signal, sleeve = ground. FiiO uses a different configuration.
Although it could be possible to suggest that ifi fault is in presupposing that what you have helpfully shared is known by all. It might be helpful for people, like myself, who do not fully understand the default vs the FiiO for ifi to have shared what was the best 3.5 to use. As an example why does a one ring and two ring 3.5 work with the Diablo but not a three ring. Having spent almost £1000, a short info sentence in the Diablo manual would have been helpful.

Aug 28, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #1,722 of 2,990
Although it could be possible to suggest that ifi fault is in presupposing that what you have helpfully shared is known by all. It might be helpful for people, like myself, who do not fully understand the default vs the FiiO for ifi to have shared what was the best 3.5 to use. As an example why does a one ring and two ring 3.5 work with the Diablo but not a three ring. Having spent almost £1000, a short info sentence in the Diablo manual would have been helpful.
You wouldn't expect them to post the pinout of the USB, 3.5mm, or 4.4mm ports - because they follow a standard. Why would you expect different from the SPDIF which also follows a standard?

Aug 28, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #1,723 of 2,990
You wouldn't expect them to post the pinout of the USB, 3.5mm, or 4.4mm ports - because they follow a standard. Why would you expect different from the SPDIF which also follows a standard?
Given that a standard is a variable perspective based on commons collective value and that my research showed that if I used the wrong jack I could damaged the Diablo, and although I think I understand the commons collective value standard of USB, 3.5mm, 4.4mm or for that matter 2.5mm. I do not quite understand the CCV Standard of SPDIF nor I might add does it appears my local ifi support does. Given that they suggested that a three ring jack should work. It might help the uninitiated if ifi had a short sentence somewhere on their support website that initiated into the standard, or if there is I could not find it.

Sep 3, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #1,724 of 2,990
Hi @iFi audio

My micro iDSD has 3 DSD analogue filters, "standard", "extended", "extreme".

Diablo doesn't have these options, so is a fixed DSD analogue filter.

Which of the 3 micro iDSD filters does Diablo correspond to?

Can you ask the Technical Team please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back