iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
May 6, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #1,381 of 2,988
I don't know if it can help someone here, as I am not sure if I will myself buy the Diablo.

But I just bought and tested the really tiny Shanling M0 (38g) as Bluetooth LDAC receiver (From my smartphone with UAPP with PEQ activated) connect through USB-C output to some competitor of the Diablo like the Centrance M8V2 and Xduoo XD-05+ with proper USB-C cables (connected@96Khz). Those two external DAC amps are working really fine, so I believe the ifi Diablo should easily become even a better bluetooth DAC powerful Amp with this really tiny and long life Shangling M0.
1620303524668.png

I am not really sure right now there are any significant musical quality improvement from the BT Aptx connection of the Centrance M8V2 or the xduoo BT dongle (LDAC too). But at least connection is efficient, music remote command working fine too to go through the smartphone playlist and the 15 hours playing should be really convenient.
The SD card reader of the shanling M0 can read fully my 1Tb sandisk micro SD.

I think it can be worth to give a try for the Diablo too.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #1,383 of 2,988
iFi DAP coming soon? Reveal on 15th May.

1.jpg

2.jpg

May 11, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #1,385 of 2,988
One interesting finding for lower impendance headphones. I use diablo with akg k872 closed headphones and beyerdynamic dt 1900 pro mainly. When comparing diablo with astell kern kann alpha I had some strange feeling that something is wrong with diablo to my ears. I could not get the perfect balanced sound from diablo that I was used to from kann alpha. Especially I had the feeling that vocals steal the show on diablo and they are too much present at the expense of instruments presentation. It made me order idsd signature again that I had chance to test briefly before. But today eveneing I tried to further experiment with 3,5mm iematch cable and realized that my akg k872 hugely benefit from iematch cable set to high sensitivity and along with turbo mode setting on diablo it does the MAGIC. The sound is perfectly balanced yet very detailed and natural finally. Thanks for inspiration to someone who mentioned experimenting with iematch and at the same time with gain settings either in signature or diablo thread.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #1,386 of 2,988
One interesting finding for lower impendance headphones. I use diablo with akg k872 closed headphones and beyerdynamic dt 1900 pro mainly. When comparing diablo with astell kern kann alpha I had some strange feeling that something is wrong with diablo to my ears. I could not get the perfect balanced sound from diablo that I was used to from kann alpha. Especially I had the feeling that vocals steal the show on diablo and they are too much present at the expense of instruments presentation. It made me order idsd signature again that I had chance to test briefly before. But today eveneing I tried to further experiment with 3,5mm iematch cable and realized that my akg k872 hugely benefit from iematch cable set to high sensitivity and along with turbo mode setting on diablo it does the MAGIC. The sound is perfectly balanced yet very detailed and natural finally. Thanks for inspiration to someone who mentioned experimenting with iematch and at the same time with gain settings either in signature or diablo thread.
and this is why I REALLY hope a 4.4mm to 4.4mm IEMatch will be released.

May 12, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #1,387 of 2,988
No problem with planars. I have NM-1 and Aeon C Flow. Both sound good with Diablo, as they should do. NM-1 in Turbo, Aeon in Normal.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #1,389 of 2,988
@iFi audio are you guys going to be adding the diablo to roon device setup?

Do you mean as a Roon-ready device, or just to be used in general? You need to enable the Diablo from the Roon control panel manually I believe.

I tried to further experiment with 3,5mm iematch cable and realized that my akg k872 hugely benefit from iematch cable set to high sensitivity and along with turbo mode setting on diablo it does the MAGIC. The sound is perfectly balanced yet very detailed and natural finally. Thanks for inspiration to someone who mentioned experimenting with iematch and at the same time with gain settings either in signature or diablo thread.

Glad you found a perfect mix and match of settings for your use case!

and this is why I REALLY hope a 4.4mm to 4.4mm IEMatch will be released.

We hear y'all!

No problem with planars. I have NM-1 and Aeon C Flow. Both sound good with Diablo, as they should do. NM-1 in Turbo, Aeon in Normal.

Diablo with planars is *insert Chef's Kiss gif here* - great synergy with my Rosson RAD-0.

Anyone tried it with audeze lcd2 ?

If it's anything like how it pairs with my RAD, I'm sure it will do great with the LCD-2. I haven't tried it personally though. Sure someone around here has that pairing!

May 13, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #1,392 of 2,988
Can anyone recommend a white USB cable instead of the blue one included?

I know there are plenty on Amazon, but want to ensure it is atleast as good as the blue one - reliable and a good physical] fit into Diablo.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #1,394 of 2,988
Can anyone recommend a white USB cable instead of the blue one included?

I know there are plenty on Amazon, but want to ensure it is atleast as good as the blue one - reliable and a good physical] fit into Diablo.
Get a USB 3.0 version they usually have a bit more shielding like the no sense blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back