iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Mar 12, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #842 of 2,988
I found the xDSD to be a bit behind the Chord Mojo, which I consider roughly on par with the Signature, if rather different-sounding. Without directly comparing them, the Diablo is going to be a noticeable step up in a few ways, especially with full-sized headphones, though sensitive IEMs may not be so good with the Diablo, going by initial testing.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #843 of 2,988
I'm tempted to sell my AK25 for the diablo, the small screen size is bit too much of a hassle. I don't think I would mind too much having it cabled up to my phone, at least Tidal works quick and easily there with native app.

I have the OG solaris with 2.5mm balanced cable, I imagine an adapter to the 4.4mm would work ok? Guess I could also use my full size headphones which are all XLR , so would need to get an adapter for those too.

Do you think it would be a worthy upgrade? Would cost maybe double the value of my Ak25 however

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #845 of 2,988
So I spent almost 6hrs today sitting at the shop (shoutout to Zeppelin & Co!) today trying various configurations with the Diablo:

iPhone 12 Pro Max > Diablo > HD800S/RAD-0/Utopia/EE Odin/Legend/EX1000 (will just put HD800S henceforth)
iPhone 12 Pro Max > Diablo > Cayin C9 (Tube, A-Class settings) > HD800S
DX300 > HD800S
DX300 > Cayin C9 > HD800S

I didn't bother with DX300 > Diablo etc.

Test Songs streamed over Tidal:

Crazy by Daniela Andrade (Thanks Xand for the recent intro!)
Mama Saturn by Tanerelle
High Water Everywhere by Joe Bonamassa
Tabula Rasa by Calum Graham
Girl From Ipanema by Oscar Peterson
I wanna play for you by Stanley Clarke

My takeaway is:

1. DX300 sounds sterile straight out of the HO (might be an advantage on some vocals)
2. C9 improves on the DX300 noticeably, immediately.
3. iPhone > Diablo is more organic (especially on strings and instruments)
4. Diablo > C9 > Headphones isn't significant enough of a difference for my lead ears to justify adding it to the stack. This is unlike when I added the C9 to the DX300, which was immediately noticeable. One main difference is that the soundstage is maybe an inch wider with the Diablo alone, and that bit less with the C9 added into the mix (not an uncommon phenomenon with tubes?). Otherwise, with the C9, it's just subtly different. Note: Different, not necessarily improved nor worse. YMMV.
5. Diablo > C9 > IEMs was a tad more noticeably improved. I did not do as much A/B with the IEMs so I shall not delve further.

Summary:

The Diablo is a VERY capable portable all-in-one solution (with a transport of course!) that has removed from my mind at least the need to consider a DAP or the Cayin C9. They are nice to have, and if you do not wish to use your phone as a transport, are still viable options. However, because I only stream from Tidal these days, plus I update my iPhone to the latest model annually, the iPhone + Diablo stack makes sense, and they do not lose out much (if any!) to the DAP combo. So if you're like me who's trying to streamline your stack and still have very good quality out of your stack, the Diablo is the way to go! I'm still itching to get the C9 just because though... I... shall... endure... :beerchug:

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #846 of 2,988
So I spent almost 6hrs today sitting at the shop (shoutout to Zeppelin & Co!) today trying various configurations with the Diablo:

iPhone 12 Pro Max > Diablo > HD800S/RAD-0/Utopia/EE Odin/Legend/EX1000 (will just put HD800S henceforth)
DX300 > HD800S

Mama Saturn by Tanerelle

My takeaway is:

1. DX300 sounds sterile straight out of the HO (might be an advantage on some vocals)
4. Diablo > C9 > Headphones isn't significant enough of a difference for my lead ears to justify adding it to the stack. This is unlike when I added the C9 to the DX300, which was immediately noticeable. One main difference is that the soundstage is maybe an inch wider with the Diablo alone, and that bit less with the C9 added into the mix (not an uncommon phenomenon with tubes?). Otherwise, with the C9, it's just subtly different. Note: Different, not necessarily improved nor worse. YMMV.
5. Diablo > C9 > IEMs was a tad more noticeably improved. I did not do as much A/B with the IEMs so I shall not delve further.

Summary:

The Diablo is a VERY capable portable all-in-one solution (with a transport of course!) that has removed from my mind at least the need to consider a DAP or the Cayin C9. They are nice to have, and if you do not wish to use your phone as a transport, are still viable options. However, because I only stream from Tidal these days, plus I update my iPhone to the latest model annually, the iPhone + Diablo stack makes sense, and they do not lose out much (if any!) to the DAP combo. So if you're like me who's trying to streamline your stack and still have very good quality out of your stack, the Diablo is the way to go! I'm still itching to get the C9 just because though... I... shall... endure... :beerchug:
Would you give us also your impressions with your home iMac -> Tidal Hifi -> iPurifier 3 -> iFi Diablo -> HD800 S?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #847 of 2,988
Would you give us also your impressions with your home iMac -> Tidal Hifi -> iPurifier 3 -> iFi Diablo?
I've nothing to compare it against though... and am someone who finds impressions pretty useless as a standalone without comparison? What is warm? bright? wide soundstage?

I can only compare it against the iPhone/iPad combo. It is better with the iMac because I can use Roon... and Roon's DSP is just good... I'm able to fix the HD800S' deficiencies close to perfection even on MQA, without affecting other parts of the spectrum detrimentally. Or use Amarra or Aurdivana?

I'm sure there are many other alternatives when it comes to the desktop. But if you want something portable that can perform on the go, and also do well on the desktop, you can't really go wrong with the Diablo.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #848 of 2,988
A new fresh one:
https://hifitrends.com/2021/03/11/ifi-idsd-diablo-review-the-best-portable-dac-amp-combo-under-1000/
I never read a review with a high quality player like Audirvana, Room or HQ Player, so if someone already did, let me know, please! Smartphones as digital transports are weak links...
the feature got higher score than the sound haha, and I think there're still lot that misunderstand of how the power mode works.
Also last point for me is how he mention the sound is cooler and neutral, I have not check out Signature or Neo but Diablo sounded warm to me even with Arya (it's dry and cold sounding out of the box tho, but only like first 10 hour-ish). Or is it because he didn't get the ipurifier (?)

It;s still very positive review tho, so cheers with your beloved Diablo :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #849 of 2,988
Or use Amarra or Aurdivana?
If you want listen the full glory of your HD800S with the Diablo, try:
https://www.signalyst.com/bins/HQPlayer4Desktop-x64-4103.dmg?
Use the setting and equalizers filters attached here and go to nirvana!
Are two options of parametric equalizer filters, each one in each txt file.
You have to load each one for both channels, not each one for each channel.
Don't mix both txt files, or each channel will have a different correction curve.
Have a great listening experience.

P.S.: I'm using the Oppo SDAC-3, but the settings are the same for Diablo!

Attachments

• Sennheiser HD 800 S Parametric EQ Preamp -5.4 dB.txt
    480 bytes · Views: 0
  • Sennheiser HD 800 S Parametric EQ Preamp -8.9 dB.txt
    477 bytes · Views: 0
  • Set.png
    Set.png
    399.3 KB · Views: 0
  • EQ.png
    EQ.png
    304.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #851 of 2,988

DX300 > HD800S

Mama Saturn by Tanerelle

My takeaway is:

Summary:

Cheers mate!!! And shout-out to Zepp & Co indeed, that's incredibly kind of them.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #853 of 2,988
I'm hearing a lot about the GTO firmware. I have the BL and Signature, both on stock. Does the Signature sound better if I upgrade to GTO firmware? What's the difference in sound?
Try it yourself. If you do not like it, just go back to the firmware w/o GTO. It is simply a taste of preference. Nothing else.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #854 of 2,988
I have been listening with the GTO filter and I find very organic and analogue sounding.
It raises the performance even higher.

I am finishing my review for hxosplus magazine and I will try to post here an abbreviated version.

Short version - If - for your personal reasons- you fancy the best available transportable device with absolutely reference sound and power to drive almost everything then this is it.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #855 of 2,988
I installed the new 7.0 firmware, and remain confused about functionality:

MQA does not consistently activate a magenta LED. Sometimes a yellowish color?
There is SPDIF input but not the promised MQA decoding (except via USB). When can we expect this?

Please detail the actual 7.0 features and also the differences with 7.0c. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back