iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Feb 8, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #481 of 2,990
Actually not on the level of Diablo. This is the first fully balanced and with MQA decoding.

From their own advertisement:

Diablo.PNG
I see this more as a mix portable and desktop mqa powerhouse. The mqa decoding isn’t really useful for portables because of way iOS handles it, so it’s similar to xdsd, but this has enough power to be a real desktop solution as well.

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #482 of 2,990
I see this more as a mix portable and desktop mqa powerhouse. The mqa decoding isn’t really useful for portables because of way iOS handles it, so it’s similar to xdsd, but this has enough power to be a real desktop solution as well.
Yep, I agree. I was looking for something in this level, to be able to use on a desktop with a Full size HP and on the go or around the house with IEMs. But looking at their own advertisement, it mention ECO to be used with IEMs, but from users report that's not really the case. If that was actually the case, it would be a killer.

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #483 of 2,990
Correction: The hiss happened only once for mysterious reason. Now I don't hear any hiss with Eco mode even beyond 3 o'clock. Weird...
Considering the battery consumption, maybe I should stick with the Eco mode as I don't hear any noticeable difference in SQ or dynamics between Eco and Normal modes...
UPDATE: I Further tested Diablo between Eco and Normal modes using TH900mk2 and found that SQ is better on Normal mode. Fuller body and smoother treble with Normal mode. I also tested between Normal and Turbo modes using HD800S and found that SQ is more musical and enjoyable on Normal mode. So I decided to go with Normal mode for these 2 cans.

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #484 of 2,990
Yep, I agree. I was looking for something in this level, to be able to use on a desktop with a Full size HP and on the go or around the house with IEMs. But looking at their own advertisement, it mention ECO to be used with IEMs, but from users report that's not really the case. If that was actually the case, it would be a killer.
My Elysium and DITA Dream XLS are happy with Eco mode through SE output. Elysium can take Eco on balanced but not for Dream. Anyway, I agree that Diablo is designed for full size cans not for IEM.
I'm happy with Diablo as I wanted to use my full size cans on the go.

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #485 of 2,990
My Elysium and DITA Dream XLS are happy with Eco mode through SE output. Elysium can take Eco on balanced but not for Dream. Anyway, I agree that Diablo is designed for full size cans not for IEM.
I'm happy with Diablo as I wanted to use my full size cans on the go.
Thanks for the comments, mate. If you're happy, that's what matter.

Feb 9, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #486 of 2,990
From everything I've read here, I really think is a great amp/dac and it had almost everything I was looking for as my next gear. But for one thing, one small thing, being unable to drive IEMs! (At least the main ones) What's the point in today's time in making something portable that can't be completely used with portable gear?

No one go on the Metro wearing a Diana Phi (i'm excludingthe crazy people that does so), but everyone uses IEMs on the go.

Sorry iFi, thst doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry, but I cannot understand why people would want full desktop quality for a metro ride in the first place. Some hard to drive IEMs like Tin Hifi P1 definitely benefit from Diablo's power according my experience, but even if Diablo is portable enough to take it with to one's travels, it is obviously not the most compact solution. To get the best out of something like Diablo would mean use of good quality HP and USB or optical input cables, meaning that the set-up becomes rather complicated for a metro or bike ride. That is when good DAPs are convenient. I am personally a big fan of Cowon DAPs, but A & K, Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo, Fiio and others have plenty of options to choose from. I would not use Diablo on the move with a mobile phone, either. But when work-related travel starts again, I could imagine using Diablo in a hotel room with an iPad, listening to Tidal. For me the primary use of Diablo is with a laptop. For a home set-up the external power adaptor is handy, but USB power from a computer connected to mains seems to be enough.

For compact mobile use with a phone, iFi has Hip DAC that has 4.4 balanced output and enough power for any of my IEMs.

lots of people including myself want a device powerful enough to allow me to take a diana phi or other inefficient HP's on the road with me...to visit parents...on vacation etc

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #487 of 2,990
Sorry, but I cannot understand why people would want full desktop quality for a metro ride in the first place. Some hard to drive IEMs like Tin Hifi P1 definitely benefit from Diablo's power according my experience, but even if Diablo is portable enough to take it with to one's travels, it is obviously not the most compact solution. To get the best out of something like Diablo would mean use of good quality HP and USB or optical input cables, meaning that the set-up becomes rather complicated for a metro or bike ride. That is when good DAPs are convenient. I am personally a big fan of Cowon DAPs, but A & K, Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo, Fiio and others have plenty of options to choose from. I would not use Diablo on the move with a mobile phone, either. But when work-related travel starts again, I could imagine using Diablo in a hotel room with an iPad, listening to Tidal. For me the primary use of Diablo is with a laptop. For a home set-up the external power adaptor is handy, but USB power from a computer connected to mains seems to be enough.

For compact mobile use with a phone, iFi has Hip DAC that has 4.4 balanced output and enough power for any of my IEMs.

I will be the oddball but I would use a portable solution at home. I hate clutter and also like being mobile. I use the Xcan atm with my headphones hd650/ananda for tv and gaming. Out and about, a btr3k/5 is my go to.

Feb 9, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #488 of 2,990
Haha same here. But I’m trying to decide on a tube amp to use with it at home.. or splurge for a Cayin C9… but with that money I could get some nice desktop amps.. hmmm

I will be the oddball but I would use a portable solution at home. I hate clutter and also like being mobile. I use the Xcan atm with my headphones hd650/ananda for tv and gaming. Out and about, a btr3k/5 is my go to.

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #489 of 2,990

Agree to disagree. It is a portable product, so it mist work as portable, evem if we are talking about aroumd the house.

I understand all the defence answers, i get all of your points, guys. All of us are denfending (or not) considering our use. We need to be cetic and look as a product as developed and advertised.

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #490 of 2,990
It does work with IEMs.. but not every sensitive IEM would work. Just as with amps that “drive” 300/600 ohm that may not work well with every headphone in that category. I think it’s unrealistic to expect a portable amp to work with both ends of the spectrum.. I bought mine knowing that there’s a chance it might not have worked with my EX1000. Got lucky.

Agree to disagree. It is a portable product, so it mist work as portable, evem if we are talking about aroumd the house.

I understand all the defence answers, i get all of your points, guys. All of us are denfending (or not) considering our use. We need to be cetic and look as a product as developed and advertised.

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #491 of 2,990
It does work with IEMs.. but not every sensitive IEM would work. Just as with amps that “drive” 300/600 ohm that may not work well with every headphone in that category. I think it’s unrealistic to expect a portable amp to work with both ends of the spectrum.. I bought mine knowing that there’s a chance it might not have worked with my EX1000. Got lucky.

Yes. It is not a question about defending a product, but understanding that there is no magical Swiss-knife type amp that works with every possible scenario. We should understand that different uses mean different tools. Diablo is a reasonably portable and very good sounding, powerful solution to many kinds of uses, but of course not the most optimal for some situations as it is not pocket size and maybe too loud for some IEMs.

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #493 of 2,990
Well over here in Australia, finally the Diablo came into stock! But I live in Brisbane where there are no iFi dealers in Queensland (afaik) so I can't compare Signature/Diablo/RME. And it is still not clear to me which would be the 'right one' still which is pretty frustrating - I quickly sold my Micro BL when I heard the Signature is coming out and adding Neo, then Diablo into the mix is great in that we are spoilt for choice, but also just totally confusing if you can't try them out. Well I could - there would be a 15% restocking fee....! So I have decided to enter a holding pattern, by grabbing the very awesome Sound BlasterX G6 since it's cheap-ish and it would be useful in the future anyway. Now I can wait until there is more clarity. It just seems kinda crazy that I have to though. :thinking:

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #494 of 2,990
How the Diablo sounds compared with Pro iDSD only as DAC/Amp, forgetting the extra features of the Pro?

I don't think that they're comparable considering how significntly one can adjust Pro iDSD's performance, let alone their different price points, functionalities and size. But in general, both products share our house sound to quite a degree.

Well over here in Australia, finally the Diablo came into stock! But I live in Brisbane where there are no iFi dealers in Queensland (afaik) so I can't compare Signature/Diablo/RME. And it is still not clear to me which would be the 'right one' still which is pretty frustrating - I quickly sold my Micro BL when I heard the Signature is coming out and adding Neo, then Diablo into the mix is great in that we are spoilt for choice, but also just totally confusing if you can't try them out. Well I could - there would be a 15% restocking fee....! So I have decided to enter a holding pattern, by grabbing the very awesome Sound BlasterX G6 since it's cheap-ish and it would be useful in the future anyway. Now I can wait until there is more clarity. It just seems kinda crazy that I have to though. :thinking:

Point taken and thanks for your feedback. If you can share things that are important to you, I could assist you with your choice :)

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back