iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Feb 1, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #391 of 2,988
I'm thinking of pairing up the Diablo with the Oriolus BA300S portable tube amp as it allows 4.4mm balanced in and out.. Anyone with any experience of pairing it up with iFi Dac/Amps?

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #393 of 2,988
Anyone know if you can bypass the battery on this one for desktop use?
No you can not, it will only run on battery power, but you can leave it plugged in

As I have to return the Diablo in the upcomming days (because not useable with my U12t IEM) but I really like the the grey ifi transport bag, the question to @iFi audio, if I can buy the bag somewhere for my Signature? I was checking my ifi reseller in Germany but it seems that the shop does not have this item. I can not see it on Amazon neither.
It would be cool if you can help here :) I am pretty sure that my Signature would love the transport bag as well :D

It will be coming out separately! Diablo owners got it first :) no confirmed dates yet but hoping for sometime in March.

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #394 of 2,988
I'm thinking of pairing up the Diablo with the Oriolus BA300S portable tube amp as it allows 4.4mm balanced in and out.. Anyone with any experience of pairing it up with iFi Dac/Amps?

Seems not a good idea, the Diablo is a crazy powerhouse. I'd not connect to another portable amp. Eh.

We tend to agree with this, the Diablo is meant to be used primarily as a solo unit.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #398 of 2,988
Mains electricity is another way of saying AC - ie wall socket in most countries.
Was asking because everyone is saying it only runs on battery power from but the website says it can be powered from the mains.
Screenshot_20210201-193519_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #400 of 2,988
Ifi is saying that the mains (wall socket or power outlet) charge the built-in battery by which the unit is powered.
Surely it can be run indefinitely when plugged into the mains otherwise what would be the point in the adapter enabling optimal sound quality during its use. Ie it’s a proper mini desktop dac/amp that happens to also have a battery backup. I can see why BradleyM29 is asking. I don’t remember seeing anything that suggests it can’t be run this way though.

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #402 of 2,988
I think the Diablo is meant to be their "Only sound quality matters" They dropped all the fun iFi features to make a beast of a portable/transport that gives the best "unaltered sound" they feel is possible from their own R&D. Would I personally pick the diablo over the iDSD Signature? Without testing them it's hard to tell but I can say I love the features of the iDSD Signature and would take that over the iFi NEO which lacked those features and went for an unaltered sound design.

I get this too. I just wish IEMs would get the same respect for MAX sound quality instead of it being relegated to "The X Series is good enough." I mean are we in this hobby just for good enough and IEMs aren't only for portable use… They're just as good sounding at home where the differences of the Diablo can be heard. I totally get what iFi means for the Diablo but I really am bitter that IEMs aren't going to easily be able to take advantage of what could be the best (trans)portable DAC without Hugo 2 money.

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #403 of 2,988
I get this too. I just wish IEMs would get the same respect for MAX sound quality instead of it being relegated to "The X Series is good enough." I mean are we in this hobby just for good enough and IEMs aren't only for portable use… They're just as good sounding at home where the differences of the Diablo can be heard. I totally get what iFi means for the Diablo but I really am bitter that IEMs aren't going to easily be able to take advantage of what could be the best (trans)portable DAC without Hugo 2 money.
The separate IEMatch would solve this for unbalanced plus bet they come out with a balanced IEMatch too.

But why have there been so few reviews and comparisons? I’d dearly love to see eg Z Reviews and HomeStudioBasics take a look.

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #404 of 2,988
Yeah i noticed the lack of reviews from popular channels. I am enjoying the Diablo and just added a pair of Fostex TH900 mkII to the mix, sounds like a wonderful combination. The DAC is very resolving indeed. I was listening to a Piano piece on MQA (Lang Lang Bach Goldberg variations) and i can hear tiny details i never heard before like Lang Lang's breath and the reverb of the piano etc. Wonderful stuff. I'd do a review but i have nothing else to compare the Diablo to.

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #405 of 2,988
Was asking because everyone is saying it only runs on battery power from but the website says it can be powered from the mains.

The Diablo has an adapter that can convert the Power input into a USB C input.

Ifi is saying that the mains (wall socket or power outlet) charge the built-in battery by which the unit is powered.

In it's simplest definition, yes this is what being powered from mains means!
The question is if plugging the mains adapter will cut off battery in order to preserve it's lifespan.

Let me double-check for this for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back