iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Mar 5, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #781 of 2,990
Has anyone here listened to the iDSD Signature and the Diablo? What's your opinion on both. Is the Diablo worth the extra money?
The one I haven’t heard is the Sig. I had the BL and now the Diablo - enormous massive difference to my ears with the same headphones.
I get a feeling @Currawong is going to delve into Sig vs Diablo, I certainly hope so and I’m really interested to see how that plays out.

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #782 of 2,990
The one I haven’t heard is the Sig. I had the BL and now the Diablo - enormous massive difference to my ears with the same headphones.
I get a feeling @Currawong is going to delve into Sig vs Diablo, I certainly hope so and I’m really interested to see how that plays out.
Yup. I'll get into detail when I shoot a video and write the review, but a quick listen (D8K Pro balanced, 5.2c firmware on the Signature, Standard power output, 96 kHz high-res tracks from the MA Recordings sampler) has the Diablo better on macro and micro dynamics, with the Sig sounding slightly flat/veiled in comparison. It does seem like tossing all the extra circuits paid off, though you're losing features.

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #783 of 2,990
I have the Black Label and now the Diablo. Small difference if any, couldn’t call it better. It’s funny to me when people claim major differences in sound. They are tiny, if any and certainly should be with properly engineered transparent amps/dacs. Better off spending money on headphones, those do make a big difference. /vent
Please do not see this as an attack on you.. but for the interests of others who will take your comment at the face value it is written-
given that the differences between ALL DACs is subtle, with the differences being something that people generally need training and/or familiar sound files and specific moments to ‘see’ them..
Is that point you have given a dogmatic one; such as “all bluetooth transmitters/bluetooth sources” equal (which I have noticed you also believe), and LDAC/SBC/ APT X having equal dynamics etc..
I understand that many DACs are very similar.. in the nineties when I was buying a CD player I took five back to the store (until I settled on a Rotel RCD971) due to them sounding ‘the same’.
Of course they didn’t but I didn’t know that I needed specific parts of tracks to identify absolute differences.
eg some live by an R2R DAC nailing acoustic guitar...
Do you listen in upsampled modes? what file source? music genres?
Do you notice ANY difference, or just ‘not enough’ to to justify the price.. (actually I don’t know where I was going with this; the iPad died hours ago when I was writing this reply, and magically the text is still here hours later on a different iPad!?)(Wild)
Since I wrote the above, Currawong has jumped in to give a clarification that I knew was desperately needed.
I agree that the changes are small, overall,.. but given all DACs offer generally subtle differences, (some more than others), those ‘slight differences’ are everything! (not to be dismissed)
I know it has taken me a month to learn about this unit. It took 100 hours for the sound to open/settle to what it could actually give (although that change is definately less than the differences between the Sig and the Dia(blo)).
Just the different sounds given in the various modes and using the different outputs..
The hardest time for me was the first fortnight (mostly all headphone listening using time proven and many times trialed test tracks), and then I decided to put in in the Den setup to critically listen (I wanted the unit to be broken in for the ‘first proper listen’ ie sans subwoofer etc)..
I was excited to do this as fast A/B switching would be possible and the differences would be evident quickly..In the Den was a Chord DAC-

The Chord Hugo (and all Chord DACs) do stuff ‘very differently‘ in how they recreate sound. They prove to be one of the better DACs at offering a very different sound, and, crazily, the differences are often a little subtle when comparing them. Unless you are fast A/B switching or playing back highly familiar music on a system that hasn’t changed at all in over a year, and hasn’t had any other tech rotations (not even a cable change!).. then it is more obvious.

The fast switching made ‘subtle differences’ that took days of pen and paper notes to figure out my actual feelings/findings, reveal themselves in mere seconds. (It took my child less than ten minutes to decide which DAC we would keep, actually was about fourty five seconds, but to ‘humour me’ we continued with a few ‘other test tracks’)

The first night of having the Diablo, I just let it play on the Den system (not critically listening, unbroken in), playing whatever music the family wanted- and oh how the family WANTED!

The child kept hovering to listen to known albums, the missus gave up TV for the night, and I couldn’t turn the system off. (the family WANTED it on)..
usually on a weekday I don’t have the Den system playing till so late at night.. My child kept coming from their room to hear songs played as if for the first time.
That set my expectations that the Diablo was clearly a better DAC than any we had had playing in that room previously. (We’ve tried around 8 DACs in the last few years)
Everything sounded better, and I felt like a sixteen year old again with my first walkman listening to hifi recording compilations I had made and hearing nuances and instruments and layered vocal clearer than ever before /for the ‘first time’.
VS the Hugo? sure I could say ‘not much difference’ and don’t spend money on DACs when a cheap one sounds ‘the same’. I wish I could honestly NOT HEAR THE DIFFERENCES.
Due to having all other aspects of my chain sorted, I don’t have anything I need to invest further money in, and, around every seven years or so I do seriously wonder what DAC evolution has brought to the table.
I can’t comment vs the Sig or BL, but I passed both those parts up due to my hifi aesthetic being ‘a purity nut’ (I like amplifers and not ‘receivers’/like my DAPs without radios etc, and NEED a pure direct button); the Diablo was a part I was excited about from the moment it was announced. I had been wanting to buy iFi parts due to a lot of their tech.. (their isolation designs and want to use ‘ancient’ BurrBrowns as leading factors)
The Diablo does bring something incredible with it, and sounds outside of its pricepoint most likely due to simplifying the circuit, but might also be the tuning that they did.
I feel iFi gave that tuning relatively cheaply.. When Questyle redid the QP1 to make the QP1R, they tried 100+ reconfigs and charged end users +50% for the ‘tuned’ sound.
When I bought the Diablo I was afraid they may have moved on from the 1793, and it was when I was five minutes from first hearing it, that I read that it DID in fact use them (and made me exceptionally happy)..

but DAC chips alone are not the resultant sound; they contribute: sure!
The subtle differences a retuning can bring to the table, or a whole circuit redesign (my understanding is the Sig had the retune testing, and the Diablo also got the ‘new circuit’ (proper balanced/better isolation)) are ‘subtle’, so lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater..
That ‘subtle’ is everything..
I know @Charmade was having a “/vent”, but I do feel we should qualify when we do our rants (hence why most of my posts are ’large’) what we are weighing up and why. Based on Charmades’ reply; sure- spend money on headphones if you haven’t got your desired sound.. just like a hifi rig, speakers change the sound by many many dB through all the frequencies, where as an amp or CD player might change the sound by .5dB here and .1dB there..
Speakers (headphones) WILL make the biggest change for money invested.. BUT, when the system is done, cables and DAC differences will tune the sound quite noticeably, and for further ‘hobby money’ into an complete setup,.. allows users to gain further enjoyment /take their hobby further etc

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #784 of 2,990
Has anyone here listened to the iDSD Signature and the Diablo? What's your opinion on both. Is the Diablo worth the extra money?
I have. The signature has a noticeably warmer sound while the diablo is very neutral, the diablo also has better detail and stereo separation. I would say the Diablo is only worth the extra money if you need all of that power in a portable package and if you're a purist who wants the best sound with no coloration.

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #785 of 2,990
I have. The signature has a noticeably warmer sound while the diablo is very neutral, the diablo also has better detail and stereo separation. I would say the Diablo is only worth the extra money if you need all of that power in a portable package and if you're a purist who wants the best sound with no coloration.
Thanks for sharing! I have the Signature and really like it. The Diablo sounds fantastic though. I travel for work and use the sig all the time. Hmmm what to choose, maybe I'll just get both!?

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #786 of 2,990
Thanks for sharing! I have the Signature and really like it. The Diablo sounds fantastic though. I travel for work and use the sig all the time. Hmmm what to choose, maybe I'll just get both!?

I have seen a few folks around the interwebs get both because they couldn't side, and because they have a good mix of headphones and IEMs.

Having both in myself in house, I can totally see the different use cases for one person!

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #787 of 2,990
For those of you who were asking about the case included with the Diablo, it is now available to be purchased separately, find more info here!

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #788 of 2,990
I have seen a few folks around the interwebs get both because they couldn't side, and because they have a good mix of headphones and IEMs.

Having both in myself in house, I can totally see the different use cases for one person!
$0.02 (2 cents) given - and note that I do not have experience with the sound profiles of each device;

It appears that the unit (the Diablo that I HAVE experience with) operates in a class A mode in NORMAL or TURBO settings (and I do not feel this is necessarily true or ECO mode): on this basis alone I would recommend the Diablo more for people with over ears (not super sensitive IEMs that might require ECO mode for volume levels that a human can withstand based on health regulations for ‘longer durations’), and the Signature or Black Label definitely for those with sensitive IEMs that might be comfortable to drive on the earlier models, that have ‘bells and whistles added’ such as IEMMATCH built in..
Of course those driving home hifis’ might have to be swung by output options.. I am fortunate that my reference rig has balanced XLR inputs, but many might have nice interconnects wanting phono plugs (/‘RCA’ interconnects).

I like flatline equipment that doesn’t ‘do anything’ to the sound (clinical and studio) is my aim. I tune sound with speakers (headphones) and don’t mind putting low fi recordings on ‘other setups’. For me the Diablo is a match made in heaven, even though I drive sensitive ‘cans (Ultrasone Edition 5 are 32ohm with incredible spl per watt), and whilst I am happy with ECO mode (and the half a day+ of sound it provides), I find that I use NORMAL and TURBO to tailor the sound for what works best for the recording. Those mode differences might just be an impedance shift (a lot of the sound differences are like what one might get by switching cables), but I really do believe it is something ‘more’ than that.

If users cannot drive their sensitive IEMs in Normal or Turbo mode, or like me, my Cardas Ear Speakers are at ‘a very listenable level’ when the right channel kicks in.. (on ECO), the previous units in the iFi lineup might make much greater sense. (not needing an ‘external’ IEMMatch product), and lower power output which might let NORMAL (and TURBO) drive modes put out the right volume level as the user prefers.

Of course - people would likely say ‘its all in my head’ regarding sound changes between modes and many might not notice the differences between the devices in terms of sound profile/output.
If the sound changes are inaudible to you then ‘save the money’ and get the ‘swiss army knife units’ (that can do lots, eg the Black Label having an ‘analogue in’, (good for amplifying a Nintendo 3DS as an example of a use case)..
If I had both I would certainly have a use case for where I would put them eg public transport /public is usually so noisy that the clinical sound quality improvements that one DAC offers over another, in an environment where we are not ‘focused listening’ would be ‘close to nil so as to not worry.. I’d throw my older part in my bag for outside.. or it would go to the ‘B stereo’ especially if it needed some warmth, as has been described as a sound difference that the non Diablo parts may give..

For me, when weighing up keeping a Chord Hugo, the Diablo won out, easily, as ‘slight sound quality’ improvements are why I upgrade DACs- in that regard the Diablo was not ‘slight’ in its changes, it was in every way a better reference source. VS the ‘swiss army knife’ that is the Hugo (lots of inputs including bluetooth/UAC1 and UAC2 inputs and full sized plugs for COAX, TOSLINK and line outputs etc)- as a DAC and headphone amp the Diablo is just clearly better for my usage.. in fact the ‘bedside setup’ (which required the Hugo fed into a giant external headphone amp to ‘match the Diablos ‘standard‘ one box form’) has been greatly lessened in size and doesn’t illuminate the whole room when I am trying to get to snooze/enjoy the dark.

For ‘headphone’ use, the Diablos power is great-even for those with easy to drive ‘cans like myself- which can be driven with excellent control/speed. For IEMs that are not reference or exceptional quality (that are seeking reference power and source), the preceding products, the Signature and the Black Label make great sense. (not just economical)

note: I do not think the Diablo is expensive for what it gives vs what is out there that sounds equal to it. It just suits my want list best for a replacement DAC, with a bonus being an upgrade to my headphone amplifier thrown in to the purchase.. Even with audio as a primary hobby, I do not know if I’d upgrade so frequently as to be running it in parallel to the earlier models. I was fortunate that I waited until the part I was after came along.. Even though the previous units ‘swiss army knife natures’ made them upgrades over the Creative E5 and Onkyo DAC-HA200 I keep floating around.
So I guess like Sebastien, I’d certainly make use of ‘both’ if I had them :wink:

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #789 of 2,990
Finally got my balanced cable in (audiophile ninja cable-awesome cable quality btw) I thought single end was great, but running this thing fully balanced is a treat! Blown away 😁👍
20210306_225020.jpg

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #790 of 2,990
It appears that the unit (the Diablo that I HAVE experience with) operates in a class A mode in NORMAL or TURBO settings (and I do not feel this is necessarily true or ECO mode):

I like flatline equipment that doesn’t ‘do anything’ to the sound (clinical and studio) is my aim. I tune sound with speakers (headphones) and don’t mind putting low fi recordings on ‘other setups’. For me the Diablo is a match made in heaven, even though I drive sensitive ‘cans (Ultrasone Edition 5 are 32ohm with incredible spl per watt), and whilst I am happy with ECO mode (and the half a day+ of sound it provides), I find that I use NORMAL and TURBO to tailor the sound for what works best for the recording. Those mode differences might just be an impedance shift (a lot of the sound differences are like what one might get by switching cables), but I really do believe it is something ‘more’ than that.

For me, when weighing up keeping a Chord Hugo, the Diablo won out, easily, as ‘slight sound quality’ improvements are why I upgrade DACs- in that regard the Diablo was not ‘slight’ in its changes, it was in every way a better reference source.
On my original Micro iDSD, I feel ECO mode gives a significantly flatter, less dynamic, sound than Normal mode - after equalizing volume of course. This loss in transparency is even more obvious with iem match, so I keep well away from that button. Normal mode was fine for my Sen HD600, but borderline an issue for my more efficient HEK SE because the lower volume setting got close to the dreaded channel imbalance issue. As I don't need lots of features and I don't care much for the xbass and 3D functions, the Diablo seems a good fit. However....

Against that background, my upgrade shortlist is Signature, Diablo, or really splash out for a Hugo 2.
I'm concerned that, with the high powered Diablo, I'll be forced to using ECO mode to get away from the dreaded channel imbalance issue (still after all these years!), but then forever fret that ECO doesn't sound as good as Normal mode (Turbo is way OTT for my current headphones).

So, any advice for what to go for? And would Hugo 2 give much more, considering it's about double the price of the Diablo?
My SQ preference is for high transparency, with a tonal balance ever so slightly the warm side of neutral.
I don't actually need to upgrade because the original Micro iDSD is sufficient for my transportable needs. But I'm thinking about it because... it's what audiophiles do :)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #791 of 2,990
On my original Micro iDSD, I feel ECO mode gives a significantly flatter, less dynamic, sound than Normal mode - after equalizing volume of course. This loss in transparency is even more obvious with iem match, so I keep well away from that button. Normal mode was fine for my Sen HD600, but borderline an issue for my more efficient HEK SE because the lower volume setting got close to the dreaded channel imbalance issue. As I don't need lots of features and I don't care much for the xbass and 3D functions, the Diablo seems a good fit. However....

Against that background, my upgrade shortlist is Signature, Diablo, or really splash out for a Hugo 2.
I'm concerned that, with the high powered Diablo, I'll be forced to using ECO mode to get away from the dreaded channel imbalance issue (still after all these years!), but then forever fret that ECO doesn't sound as good as Normal mode (Turbo is way OTT for my current headphones).

So, any advice for what to go for? And would Hugo 2 give much more, considering it's about double the price of the Diablo?
My SQ preference is for high transparency, with a tonal balance ever so slightly the warm side of neutral.
I don't actually need to upgrade because the original Micro iDSD is sufficient for my transportable needs. But I'm thinking about it because... it's what audiophiles do :)
I’d probably question what are your audio files and sources.. little things like an iPurifier can help weight up the costs..
Given you could spot the difference between ECO and ‘Other’ modes, I say you are definitely a case of ‘noticing the differences..
What astounds me about the Diablo is the texture of each note and the incredible imaging, and the full weighted sound, even under load.
As an example, when I bought a Nuforce Icon HDP, it did piano notes with exceptional weight and tone, up until a ‘point’; when playing back some Joe Bonamassa (who maintains a pro stage of well curated artists), the Piano opening a track had full weight to all the keys, and in the mid point of the track, when the stage was ‘lit up’ (four other musos playing) when the piano returned the weight of the keys was lost.. My understanding is a power supply upgrade for those DAC/amps is worthwhile,.. and there were limits that it offered.
Would I tell that DAC apart from many others when playing Jack Johnson? No way!
But something with power, yes!
Right now I am listening to some Wind Sonatas (Mozart)@ 88khz 24bit, and vs Fleetwood Mac and Dreamtheatre playing previously the volume is ‘way down’.. it is a highly dynamic recording, and I know that the Diablo will render it smoothly, but so too would it nail some Supertramp, or something like Gomez doing ‘Devil May Ride’.
In fact what drew me to hook it up to the Den setup (speakers) was some Muse, and to say that the piano and vocals were exceptional whilst a “rock song” rattled on, was phenominal.
The Diablo is just so true to what I want a DAC to do.. I have a problem with any front end/source equipment colouring music: I have learned to seperate my recordings.
I can honestly say I haven’t (intentionally) listened to 20 ‘compressed’ (lossy) tracks in the last twenty years, outside of a brief period (4 years) of having an Apple music subscription due to my kid being head of a choir and taking their role ‘very seriously’ and wanting to always have access to any music they had to practice. In that time I discovered Post Modern Jukebox, and enjoyed filling out my Florence and the Machine collection with rarities and ‘b-sides’. I cancelled that subscription, and ‘in hindsight’ the money would have bought every album I listened to, every album with ONE SONG ON IT, that my child listened to, and got us both live tickets to Post Modern Jukebox and Florence when they toured...

If I had a decent DAC, and ‘was happy with it’- I’d keep it.
If you are searching, then its probably because of a reason. I rotated twenty sets of headphones before I changed DACs, and that was using 20 year old DACs...
Find the sound you are after, and then change it with hobby money.. headphones will get you the lionshare of the way, and the Diablo is a terrific amp (ie any headphones will playback at their best/or close to ‘their best’; true -some really need valves or ‘certain pairings’ ie some Beyerdynamic Tesla openbacks needed the Hugo to tame them (peaky/shrill treble), and the Audeze Sine planars were and ‘end game’ setup on the Hugo.. (great pairing)..
That being said..
I prefer the Diablo over the Hugo as an amp.. for the Hugo to equal the amp section of the Diablo I have to feed in into a huge desktop headphone amp.. the Diablo certainly not.

I have 32ohm 96dB sensitive ‘cans and find that I was surprised how easy it is to use them in NORMAL and even TURBO modes. I really didn’t think THAT would be the case, and in fairness - a feature of my cans, “s-logic”, means that typically music can be ‘3dB louder and still be as easy to listen to’ - I think because the offset drivers resolve onto the whole ear, and not ‘shoot directly down the ear canal’. 3dB is a doubling of sound volume, although hearing being logarythmic in nature we perceive 10dB as a doubling of sound.
My parts are not ‘your parts’, but true story, I didn’t think TURBO was even going to be on the menu, and the fact that it is, makes me really feel the driving power from the Diablo, which is ridiculously pure and without distortion, just doesn’t give up.. and the control is so measured, with the weight properly given to all instruments, coherently, makes the imaging and soundstage just killer.

Vs a Hugo, its a no brainer; the money saved is ‘a lot of music’. (whether online HDTracks, or a music subscription to a Higher quality file, or whatever is your cuppa tea - I have 4000+ CDs; thats ‘my poison’.

I like second hand CDs nowadays, and enjoy getting 10-15 full albums per month rather than a month of music subscription; within half a year a person has a sizable collection, and after four years would hardly miss the range provided by a large catalogue.. in that respect it is a bit like an xbox gamepass -hundreds of games, that all rotate), or PSPlus that adds a handful of titles each month.. (I have hundreds of games on PSPlus and they don’t go away unless I let my subscription go away, but if I turn it on again, I have them ALL back.. and for online multiplayer we have to have the subscriptions, so the patience of ‘slowly building a collection’ doesn’t bother me, either with my console or for my music.

Back on topic; the Hugo is well regarded (I know you are looking at a Hugo 2). The Hugo might not need adapters and might allow you using existing high quality cables, and would drive sensitive IEMs without an IEMatch, true..
I find that the way that the Chord products do their ‘trick’ is in many ways detrimental to the recording. ‘A difference isn’t ALWAYS a good thing’; Chords certainly sound different, and in the way that a valve changes the sound, so does a Chord DAC (not the same change, just noting that some products CHANGE the sound, and feeds back to what I was saying about some amplifiers matching well with certain headphones; eg how many people swear by valves and their Sennheisers HD650s etc..

What the Diablo does is vastly preferred to me, over the Hugo. From a sound quality point of view.
The Hugo does offer UAC1 and UAC 2 inputs (2 USB inputs side by side for the different modes), which makes gaming console hookup ‘really easy’.
Again, the Diablo is my sound preference over the Hugo and that is if they were equal money.. If the Hugo were an eighth or even a quarter less in cost, I’d have to weigh it up. Many swear that a Mojo is close to a Hugo (I wouldn’t agree with this perhaps), but a second hand Mojo is an easy test of whether Chord method of musicality serves your interest.
The Chords are clever in that the way they resolve music: basically removes pre ringing, and is considered ‘very musical’ (pre ringing of a source, ie hearing aspects of a note before it is played, isn’t ‘natural’).
My understanding is the GTO filter might kinda do the same, and when we think of the serious power that the 2000MIPS XMOS chip in the Diablo will be capable of, the MQA technology (Meridian, fathers of music playback when we look up MOST ladders of hifi origins nowadays) knew what they were doing. Whilst I am against MQA for what it means to the industry (creates ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’ needlessly, and it should ahve been HDCD tech (everybody benefits, no losers), but Microsoft bought that up twenty plus years ago and buried it!), the GTO filter is iFi working the math that makes MQA worthwhile and allows it to upgrade any source..
I like what we can expect from the Diablo/16 core XMOS iFi parts, being that iFi are a great company who give firmware upgrades to older tech. (many wouldn’t, to force a new sale),..
Diablo firmwares might just be the cream on the cake that makes a Diablo SLAY a range of other serious high end DACs. I’d actually BET ON IT!
Filters benefit form neutral equipment (as does Dolby headphones etc).. the closer to reference/flatline, the better any given trick can reliably work...
The GTO filter applied to the Diablo might be something I’d actually play with.. (I am typically a ‘bit perfect/NON oversampling person!)
Whilst I like what the Hugo did, vs my older DACs and most stuff below its’ price point; when compared to the Diablo, it shows itself as a part that colours the playback.. sorry; colour=alters
Music played back through the Hugo ISN’T the way it was recorded... and gets back to the start of this longwinded ‘rant’; it depends on your sources and preferences!; if you listen to poor music sources and internet radio,. well the Hugo will make it all sound phenomenal.. and even bluetooth through it is exceptional..

If you have a large collection of high quality and want to hear it as it sounds, the Diablo, for peanut price point vs anything that might top it.. is a great amp and excellent DAC, and the money saved, between this and a Hugo, would buy you a lot of ‘headphone upgrade’ or music catalogue.

again, given you hear the differences between ECO and NORMAL/TURBO, you have the fast hearing ears that might appreciate a different DAC, and the unknowns with the DIABLO is just ‘how much better will iFi firmwares make it. Their track record is pretty incredible with regards to this, and they definitely license and engineer some ‘top tier’ stuff. That AMR backside (frontside) does the iFi parts “literal wonders“.

IEMatch exists for a reason, and whilst a few adaptors and/or products might be needed to make the Diablo the perfect part.. you have to weigh up your three price points...
How often do you upgrade? If every two years or so, a Diablo now, and the same money saved will allow a Diablo +++ (three iterations on of ‘top end’ iFi) and still leave you with an ‘older DAC to sell’. Kinda makes the Hugo seem like a stretch to me..
The only saliable thing in my whole rant is: your budget- what is it all worth TO YOU!? (please make sure you have headphones you like the sound of.. OR if your present headphones have bloated bass/or non ‘phat’ bass guitars, tuning with the Diablo amp will probably be a sound upgrade that makes value for money sense...

Hey PM me if you want to further this.. It isn’t fair to throw these sensible audio philosofoolies around willy nilly..
Needless to say I am not in the camp of ‘most cheap DACs sound the same’ (I found the FIIO K5 pretty unlistenable, and even, arguably, a Cambridge Audio DAC MAGIC PLUS; both nice, but my system needed something a little more ‘me’ to sound its best!) I haven’t heard a bad playback over any genre since getting the Diablo, but gee, don’t put Dido on after a Tarantino soundtrack or Cat Stevens etc (it is a literal wall of sound by comparison- the fact that it resolves that honestly is wikkid, ‘in my eyes’)

Peace

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #793 of 2,990
Thank you @whitedragem for that comprehensive reply.

I should clarify that my main rig is HMS/DAVE-based, which I think does sound very transparent, but I've had to work at it in the way you probably have to do for most sensitive high-end systems.

My laptop and iDSD-based transportable system is used for:
1. Travel - at destination rather than during.
2. Discovery - Listen to streaming (including lossless Spotify) to determine which second-hand CDs to buy.
3. Backup on the rare occasions my main rig is unavailable.
4. CD-ripping and master library/tag management system, using JRiver because that's how I started

Reasons 2 and 3 are where a better sound would help. With my original iDSD I can differentiate the quality of different recordings, but not to the same level as on my main rig. Sounds like Diablo would fit the bill here.

BTW, speaking of noticing differences, I've found that upgrading the stock Blue USB cable effectively turns the iDSD into a new DAC performing in the next higher division.
Demonstrated with a TQ Black Diamond and Lush^2. So it's a shame that iFi persist in using an inverted USB socket. Means I have to use the converter plug thingy. The hard converter sounds more transparent that the one with short trailing cable - amazing that I can hear such things that shouldn't make much difference.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #795 of 2,990
Hugo 2 is quite an improvement over the original Hugo. Just my 2 cents.
iFi engineering is awesome.. My Questyle QP1r (DAP) feeds out optical. to the Chord DAC, which is one 3.5mm adaptor on the end of ‘a nice fibre optic cable’; the Hugo cannot handle 24bit 192khz.

Same cable with 2x adaptors on the Diablo and it works a charm.
That is some serious use of the XMOS right there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back