iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Jul 10, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #2,266 of 2,990
Hi all,

Which one is producing better sound?

1) iPad / Laptop / iPhone > Diablo > Headphone

2) Dap (Kann Max) > Diablo > Headphone

Jul 10, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #2,267 of 2,990
Hi all,

Which one is producing better sound?

1) iPad / Laptop / iPhone > Diablo > Headphone

2) Dap (Kann Max) > Diablo > Headphone
since the diablo is doing the digital to analoge sound processing, it's highly dependent on the sourcefile, as well as the application you'll be using.

Jul 10, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #2,268 of 2,990
since the diablo is doing the digital to analoge sound processing, it's highly dependent on the sourcefile, as well as the application you'll be using.
Noted. If I use apple/tidal from iphone vs apple/tidal from dap as source, which one is better. I brought Kann Max to drive my headphone and order Diablo to build greater power. But not sure if I need dap haha.

Jul 10, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #2,269 of 2,990
Noted. If I use apple/tidal from iphone vs apple/tidal from dap as source, which one is better. I brought Kann Max to drive my headphone and order Diablo to build greater power. But not sure if I need dap haha.
I don't have experience with apple's platform, tidal works best using 3rd party apps (such as USB Audio Player Pro on android) and on desktop using Asio (e.g. Asio4All) or Wasapi drivers to bypass windows sound shenanigans.

Jul 10, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #2,270 of 2,990
I don't have experience with apple's platform, tidal works best using 3rd party apps (such as USB Audio Player Pro on android) and on desktop using Asio (e.g. Asio4All) or Wasapi drivers to bypass windows sound shenanigans.
Thank you so much!

Jul 10, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #2,271 of 2,990
I have no idea how much lighter bass you are hearing, if it is somewhat minor that might just be the DAP sound signature versus the Diablo DAC. If it is very significantly light on bass there is probably an issue and it is probably the cable.

If you are not hearing humming it sounds like cable is providing proper grounding, if you are it definitely isn't grounded.

The best way is to check with a continuity tester to see if the lower ground sleeves of the plugs are connected to each other through the cable.

I don't have that cable yet so I can't comment specifically.

I can confirm the iFi cable works perfectly.

Oddly I have a non grounded cable and it works fine with the Gryphon but not well with the Diablo .... no idea why.

I just got the GUCraftsman cable, the earths are not connected.

It doesn’t work well with the Diablo, no hum but very light bass as you found. Add a second cable into the 3.5mm SPDIF port to earth the units and the bass returns.

Seems like the ifi cable is the best option with the Diablo.

Oddly all three of the 4.4mm to 4.4mm cables I now have work perfectly with Gryphon but only the grounded ifi cable works properly with the Diablo.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #2,272 of 2,990
It would be great if IFI could create a product range video describing feature and sound quality performance differences.

So we know for example which has better sound performance for Over Ear HP’s between GoldBar and Diablo.
Nobody knows//////////////

Jul 12, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #2,273 of 2,990
It would be great if IFI could create a product range video describing feature and sound quality performance differences.

So we know for example which has better sound performance for Over Ear HP’s between GoldBar and Diablo.
Nobody knows//////////////

That's partly what our headphone calculator is for.

Generally speaking, the Diablo will provide better performance for over-ear HPs.

Jul 13, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #2,276 of 2,990
I get blue and green MQA LED with Roon on my PC and with UAPP on my Android phone.
Not with the Tidal app on my Android phone. Same with the Tidal app on my iPad when Diablo is connected via camera kit (Magenta only).

I thought with Roon remote on my iPad and the Diablo connected via camera connection kit I would be able to get blue and green MQA stream too, but mine is always magenta. Audio device in Roon is Set to „decoder and renderer“. What I am doing wrong or is it generally not possible?

THX

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #2,277 of 2,990
@iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu
When the next firmware will allow volume control through the 4.4mm analog input/output?
Sounds as we'll have a new hidden feature very soon...:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

Not sure what you're referring to - can you clarify if this is something you're asking for, or experiencing now on your Diablo?

I get blue and green MQA LED with Roon on my PC and with UAPP on my Android phone.
Not with the Tidal app on my Android phone. Same with the Tidal app on my iPad when Diablo is connected via camera kit (Magenta only).

I thought with Roon remote on my iPad and the Diablo connected via camera connection kit I would be able to get blue and green MQA stream too, but mine is always magenta. Audio device in Roon is Set to „decoder and renderer“. What I am doing wrong or is it generally not possible?

THX

Hi there,

You'll need to open up a support ticket with us and/or send it back through your dealer to get it serviced.

Nothing you're doing on your end is incorrect!

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #2,278 of 2,990
Hi Sebastian, I send the unit last year back to my dealer (WOD in Germany) because of this, so it should have been fixed already. In the mean time I updated firmware from 7.0 to 7.4.

Jul 13, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #2,279 of 2,990
Hi Sebastian, I send the unit last year back to my dealer (WOD in Germany) because of this, so it should have been fixed already. In the mean time I updated firmware from 7.0 to 7.4.
Hi how we can check our firmware? And how to update by ourselves? I just got mine from dealer in Thailand last week.

Jul 13, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #2,280 of 2,990
Hi how we can check our firmware? And how to update by ourselves? I just got mine from dealer in Thailand last week.
You can download new firmware releases from https://ifi-audio.com/download-hub/
after selecting the correct product (iDSD Diablo) and filling in your serial number, you can download one of the firmware versions, which also has the instructions and software to see which version you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back