iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Nov 11, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #1,876 of 2,988
Wow… this IEM should be freaking power hungry.
  • Impedance: 47 ohms
  • Sensitivity: 1khz – 99 dB SPL at 0.1V
I listen to it at 10 h (Normal mode, 6.3 mm SE). You can do it in Eco mode (12-13 h) but I prefer Normal.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #1,877 of 2,988
  • Impedance: 47 ohms
  • Sensitivity: 1khz – 99 dB SPL at 0.1V
I listen to it at 10 h (Normal mode, 6.3 mm SE). You can do it in Eco mode (12-13 h) but I prefer Normal.
Nice, thanks for sharing.

Layla:
  • Impedence: 20 Ω
  • Input Sensitivity: 117 Db @ 1mW
:)

Nov 12, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #1,878 of 2,988
This is a double exageration.
losing some of the range to the half way position ISN’T ‘losing NEARLY HALF the range..’

We lose some of the usable space on the dial due to the channel imbalance ‘down low’, forcing us to use the Mode selector and dial in a ‘range’ that works best for whatever given over ears we choose to use.
Then there are (super) sensitive IEMs that are nearly overpowered on ECO at the lowest setting (which we kinda just need acknowledge that the Diablo was not designed for ‘them’; not a ‘jack of all trades device’).

Sure I have some IEMs (all of my sets actually) work wonderfully on the Diablo but two pairs are at the lowest point on the volume dial (that the left channel finally joins the power level of the right) and playing as loud as I would want them.. (no ‘headroom’ to turn them down).

IEMs and the one amp built for power in iFis lineup might not be a perfect fit, sure...
but the usable range?

I couldn’t believe that my (admittedly sensitive) go to ‘over ears’ could be driven in Turbo mode (which I assumed was purely for ‘hard to drive headphones’). I figured based on them being designed to run from portable kit, they would be happiest in Eco or Normal drive modes... (Normal around 2pm, Turbo around 12o’clock on the dial).

I do agree with other views given (like CH23 may have said!?) about the range for Eco could have been set lower and we wouldn’t have any issues...
But for full sized over ears, I find all three ranges USEFUL.
Some AKG612s actually like to sit at 3pm on Turbo (which made me wonder if the Diablo actually had any power at all/ I went to check that the source was outputting at full ‘line level’ etc).
iFi have stated in a few places that the ideal driving range is between 12 and 2 on the dial.. (and suggest we use the mode selector to vary the driving range to suit..)

Now my example (Diablo unit) is ‘one of the worse’ samples for where the initial channel imbalance corrects itself.
Many have described around 1015-1030 seems to be the place where it comes good. I have played with Diablos where it was solid before 1030, and the outlying units don’t balance until around 11o’clock (my present unit).
As someone in the ‘11o’clock club’ it doesn’t bother me.
As stated two sets of my (fairly) sensitive IEMs are at happy driving volume right when the (im)balance issue goes away (volume dial at 11o’clock), and don’t have any leeway to be tuned lower in volume output (except maybe at a source level if I (really) NEEDED to).
On one occasion I was listening I might have dropped the volume lower, I believe I was ‘going to sleep’ and wanted a more ambiant level of sound, and the recording was fairly compressed/‘loud’.. in over a year of use, it has been the only time I felt ‘hmm (my old product didn’t have ’this issue’).
True I didn’t buy the Diablo for sensitive IEM use, but I question how many really are... (It would be like buying a corvette to use as a golf buggy, and then complaining that the paths are not big enough for the ‘wide wheel base’).
IEMMatch IS a solution for anyone who wants to force a round peg into a square hole. (so ‘not a problem for any who wish it to not be a problem).

on topic- I prefer analogue pots, and bought iFi for their volume pot implementation (among other reasons).
we can think the ‘grass is greener’ elsewhere (heck it may even actually be so..), but for the few issues I have with the Diablo (not coming with the 3.5mm to COAX adapter?), iFi have delivered a consistently great piece of hardware..

I DO ACKNOWLEDGE there IS a volume pot channel imbalance (down ’low’ on the dial)
It would be a stretch to label the issue as ‘stealing HALF THE USABLE RANGE’. (unless statement was qualified regarding when trying to use the product with a few handfuls of the worlds‘ most sensitive IEMs or without the requisite adaptor that makes the ‘round peg actually fit in the square hole’ (IEMMatch)).

Written from the lofty ideal of living in a time and space when the 4.4mm IEMMatch product might actually exist too....

-=edited=-
Yea, I suppose he must be using iems or something possibly?
I get a ton of usable range on eco mode & Normal mode with the clear mg and that's an easy headphone to drive. Heck, I can even drive em on Turbo mode, obviously with not much room but my cans don't need that much power lol. The analog pot is extremely precise to me. I do agree the 4.4 iematch will make it even better for me.

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #1,879 of 2,988
This is a double exageration.
losing some of the range to the half way position ISN’T ‘losing NEARLY HALF the range..’

We lose some of the usable space on the dial due to the channel imbalance ‘down low’, forcing us to use the Mode selector and dial in a ‘range’ that works best for whatever given over ears we choose to use.
Then there are (super) sensitive IEMs that are nearly overpowered on ECO at the lowest setting (which we kinda just need acknowledge that the Diablo was not designed for ‘them’; not a ‘jack of all trades device’).

Sure I have some IEMs (all of my sets actually) work wonderfully on the Diablo but two pairs are at the lowest point on the volume dial (that the left channel finally joins the power level of the right) and playing as loud as I would want them.. (no ‘headroom’ to turn them down).

IEMs and the one amp built for power in iFis lineup might not be a perfect fit, sure...
but the usable range?

I couldn’t believe that my (admittedly sensitive) go to ‘over ears’ could be driven in Turbo mode (which I assumed was purely for ‘hard to drive headphones’). I figured based on them being designed to run from portable kit, they would be happiest in Eco or Normal drive modes... (Normal around 2pm, Turbo around 12o’clock on the dial).

I do agree with other views given (like CH23 may have said!?) about the range for Eco could have been set lower and we wouldn’t have any issues...
But for full sized over ears, I find all three ranges USEFUL.
Some AKG612s actually like to sit at 3pm on Turbo (which made me wonder if the Diablo actually had any power at all/ I went to check that the source was outputting at full ‘line level’ etc).
iFi have stated in a few places that the ideal driving range is between 12 and 2 on the dial.. (and suggest we use the mode selector to vary the driving range to suit..)

Now my example (Diablo unit) is ‘one of the worse’ samples for where the initial channel imbalance corrects itself.
Many have described around 1015-1030 seems to be the place where it comes good. I have played with Diablos where it was solid before 1030, and the outlying units don’t balance until around 11o’clock (my present unit).
As someone in the ‘11o’clock club’ it doesn’t bother me.
As stated two sets of my (fairly) sensitive IEMs are at happy driving volume right when the (im)balance issue goes away (volume dial at 11o’clock), and don’t have any leeway to be tuned lower in volume output (except maybe at a source level if I (really) NEEDED to).
On one occasion I was listening I might have dropped the volume lower, I believe I was ‘going to sleep’ and wanted a more ambiant level of sound, and the recording was fairly compressed/‘loud’.. in over a year of use, it has been the only time I felt ‘hmm (my old product didn’t have ’this issue’).
True I didn’t buy the Diablo for sensitive IEM use, but I question how many really are... (It would be like buying a corvette to use as a golf buggy, and then complaining that the paths are not big enough for the ‘wide wheel base’).
IEMMatch IS a solution for anyone who wants to force a round peg into a square hole. (so ‘not a problem for any who wish it to not be a problem).

on topic- I prefer analogue pots, and bought iFi for their volume pot implementation (among other reasons).
we can think the ‘grass is greener’ elsewhere (heck it may even actually be so..), but for the few issues I have with the Diablo (not coming with the 3.5mm to COAX adapter?), iFi have delivered a consistently great piece of hardware..

I DO ACKNOWLEDGE there IS a volume pot channel imbalance (down ’low’ on the dial)
It would be a stretch to label the issue as ‘stealing HALF THE USABLE RANGE’. (unless statement was qualified regarding when trying to use the product with a few handfuls of the worlds‘ most sensitive IEMs or without the requisite adaptor that makes the ‘round peg actually fit in the square hole’ (IEMMatch)).

Written from the lofty ideal of living in a time and space when the 4.4mm IEMMatch product might actually exist too....

-=edited=-

On my unit, the imbalance clears at 11 as well, I made a visualisation to show what i mean by what I said. With that I also realise that maybe I should not count the un-diallable part, so it is indeed less than half. Nonetheless I feel that with a digital knob to control the voltage/volume you could have a greater control since you can have infinite steps/turns.

the headphones and IEMs I have used with my unit are:
Sennheiser HD424x, Yamaha HP1, Koss Portapro&ksc 75x, Final FIBASS, Apple IEM

All but the Koss through balanced, and both IEMs just about usable at 11 o'clock on eco mode.

Of course I understand that this dac/amp is a powerhouse, but at the same time for that price you should kind of be able to expect it to work with a full range of headphones from sensitive IEMs at Eco, to powerhungry beasts at Turbo...

diablo_dialgraph.png

footnote: 'too much' is highly dependent on what headphones on which setting you are using, but I don't think driving any device at full is good. I could very well be wrong.

addendum: To be honest, I just don't feel like having to carry more than one dac/amp. I like laying in bed at night with some music on, which is comfiest with some IEMs, and it would be nice to be able to use the Diablo, because it's an exceptionally crafted device.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #1,880 of 2,988
0493088D-BE78-4E43-B27F-DA46466BC0BE.jpeg

Voila!!

Working.

Fired up Tsushima, and the soundfield was well beyond what I had before, and the sound noticably improved.

You know I was one of the early adopters of the Diablo as well, and this, like yourself was one, if not THE one, want I had for the device. I've not been around much lately, just enjoying what I have and all that. Just came back recently to check if there was anything new. And there I find the above, by CH23's virtue, and I set out right away.

I've been playing ever since I got the Diablo, everything via optical out of my TV. PS5, Xbox Series X, movies via both, and anything else coming out of the TV. I'll only say this, it all sounded great until just now with the new firmware and USB plugged in. It's a crime that I've gone through so many games and movies already knowing it could've been what it is now. What a treat to have this kind of setup.

Nov 21, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #1,882 of 2,988
Noob here. Can I chain my dx300 into this? Maybe that would help with channel imbalance? Thanks y’all :)
you may be able to use the DX300 in headphone mode, so you control the volume on the DX and on the Diablo, so you control the diablo input gain to be low. other option is use linear low on the DX.

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #1,885 of 2,988
Brilliant piece of kit the diablo. My HEDDphones are now almost as portable as IEMs now :L3000:

Nov 26, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #1,887 of 2,988
I’ve wanted this for so long that I forgot why I wanted it.

I have sold my Diablo already months ago due to the missing IEmatch. Now I am considering to buy a used one because it sounds just amazing for a portable device. I am currently not sure if Signature, Diablo or Gryphon. But I have bought a used Signature today in the morning before I saw that ifi released the 4.4mm IEmatch ^^
But I want a Gryphon too. Maybe I will buy just all 3 and check how they compare, even if I know the Signature and Diablo quite well (because I already had both in the past).

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #1,888 of 2,988
I have sold my Diablo already months ago due to the missing IEmatch. Now I am considering to buy a used one because it sounds just amazing for a portable device. I am currently not sure if Signature, Diablo or Gryphon. But I have bought a used Signature today in the morning before I saw that ifi released the 4.4mm IEmatch ^^
But I want a Gryphon too. Maybe I will buy just all 3 and check how they compare, even if I know the Signature and Diablo quite well (because I already had both in the past).
I sold my Diablo yesterday… missed the IEMatch release as well.

Maybe I will try the Gryphon. (I personally never liked the shape/look of the xCan)

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #1,890 of 2,988
Does IEmatch work well to solve hissing issues with tube amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back