iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Oct 22, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #1,861 of 2,988
What have you decided to purchase instead? Can you recommend a balanced dac/amp for Focal Clear MG for same price as Diablo. No shitt stuff as not available where i am.
If you do not have a high demanding headphone, I think the ifi micro iDSD Signature offers the better overall package. If you want to get the Clear a bit smoother, the micro iDSD BL would my by recommendation.

Since my situation changed a bit, I am using a normal desktop DAC/Amp (currently I test the new Topping E50 + L50 stack, but my daily driver is the Burson Conductor 3X Performance) and a small Qudelix 5k as mobile DAC. This is much more comfortable and the 5k has sooooo many features, the App is amazing and the sound is really good and I do not miss anything with IEM.

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #1,862 of 2,988
I compared the Diablo with a lot of devices and it sounds just awesome for a DAC / Amp unit for under 1000€. If this is not enough, it is portable!

And why have I sold it? It just does not work well with my IEM (even if they are not sensitive), I missed the Xbass time to time and it does not work well as desktop only device because it is getting really really hot if you charge it while you are listening. I am not sure if this can damage the device after some time, but I had no good feeling.
I have mixed feelings about Diablo.
On the one hand this is probably the best sounding device among all portable/transportable devices on the market.
On the other hand it has some limitations in its performance with some demanding cans like my NM-1.
Diablo just cannot compete with my Burson desktop combo, which is clear.

Regarding IEM, I was very impressed how it sounds with Etymotic Evo when I participated in the tour.
And the reason Diablo does not have issues with it is the Evo's tech spec:
  • Impedance: 47 ohms
  • Sensitivity: 1khz – 99 dB SPL at 0.1V
So they are not easy to drive IEM and they do benefit from the power Diablo can give.
Evo remains in my short list for Christmas shopping if I decide to have a pair of IEM :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #1,864 of 2,988
If constant 5W power is not enough for your headphone, than no mobile device will fullfill your requirement :wink: There is no mobile DAC available which offers more power.
It is not a question of the power. Burson Soloist is 4 W @32 ohm but this is a desktop amp in combination with a desktop DAC with all benefits usually good desktop amps have vs a portable device including power management too. As a result headphones sound at a much higher level: resolution, separation, soundstage wise.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #1,866 of 2,988
Burson Soloist 3XP delivers 8W @ 32 Ohm :wink:
1634985464812.png

New GT version will be 8@32.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #1,869 of 2,988
Finally able to use the balanced line out of the Diablo with my Stax srm-006t.

fantastic! I don't feel like getting up from my couch...ever!

Nov 8, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #1,870 of 2,988
I just watched zeos' video on the signature and that volume pot looks pretty freaking sweet. For as much as people hate on the diablos volume pot, I think it has better pin point accuracy, I can dial the diablo in better imo, if you don't fat finger it, it can be so much more precise I think 🤷‍♂️

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #1,871 of 2,988
I just watched zeos' video on the signature and that volume pot looks pretty freaking sweet. For as much as people hate on the diablos volume pot, I think it has better pin point accuracy, I can dial the diablo in better imo, if you don't fat finger it, it can be so much more precise I think 🤷‍♂️
you do lose nearly half the range before the channel imbalance goes away, so I can't agree on better accuracy with you there...

Nov 10, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #1,873 of 2,988
you do lose nearly half the range before the channel imbalance goes away, so I can't agree on better accuracy with you there...
This is a double exageration.
losing some of the range to the half way position ISN’T ‘losing NEARLY HALF the range..’

We lose some of the usable space on the dial due to the channel imbalance ‘down low’, forcing us to use the Mode selector and dial in a ‘range’ that works best for whatever given over ears we choose to use.
Then there are (super) sensitive IEMs that are nearly overpowered on ECO at the lowest setting (which we kinda just need acknowledge that the Diablo was not designed for ‘them’; not a ‘jack of all trades device’).

Sure I have some IEMs (all of my sets actually) work wonderfully on the Diablo but two pairs are at the lowest point on the volume dial (that the left channel finally joins the power level of the right) and playing as loud as I would want them.. (no ‘headroom’ to turn them down).

IEMs and the one amp built for power in iFis lineup might not be a perfect fit, sure...
but the usable range?

I couldn’t believe that my (admittedly sensitive) go to ‘over ears’ could be driven in Turbo mode (which I assumed was purely for ‘hard to drive headphones’). I figured based on them being designed to run from portable kit, they would be happiest in Eco or Normal drive modes... (Normal around 2pm, Turbo around 12o’clock on the dial).

I do agree with other views given (like CH23 may have said!?) about the range for Eco could have been set lower and we wouldn’t have any issues...
But for full sized over ears, I find all three ranges USEFUL.
Some AKG612s actually like to sit at 3pm on Turbo (which made me wonder if the Diablo actually had any power at all/ I went to check that the source was outputting at full ‘line level’ etc).
iFi have stated in a few places that the ideal driving range is between 12 and 2 on the dial.. (and suggest we use the mode selector to vary the driving range to suit..)

Now my example (Diablo unit) is ‘one of the worse’ samples for where the initial channel imbalance corrects itself.
Many have described around 1015-1030 seems to be the place where it comes good. I have played with Diablos where it was solid before 1030, and the outlying units don’t balance until around 11o’clock (my present unit).
As someone in the ‘11o’clock club’ it doesn’t bother me.
As stated two sets of my (fairly) sensitive IEMs are at happy driving volume right when the (im)balance issue goes away (volume dial at 11o’clock), and don’t have any leeway to be tuned lower in volume output (except maybe at a source level if I (really) NEEDED to).
On one occasion I was listening I might have dropped the volume lower, I believe I was ‘going to sleep’ and wanted a more ambiant level of sound, and the recording was fairly compressed/‘loud’.. in over a year of use, it has been the only time I felt ‘hmm (my old product didn’t have ’this issue’).
True I didn’t buy the Diablo for sensitive IEM use, but I question how many really are... (It would be like buying a corvette to use as a golf buggy, and then complaining that the paths are not big enough for the ‘wide wheel base’).
IEMMatch IS a solution for anyone who wants to force a round peg into a square hole. (so ‘not a problem for any who wish it to not be a problem).

on topic- I prefer analogue pots, and bought iFi for their volume pot implementation (among other reasons).
we can think the ‘grass is greener’ elsewhere (heck it may even actually be so..), but for the few issues I have with the Diablo (not coming with the 3.5mm to COAX adapter?), iFi have delivered a consistently great piece of hardware..

I DO ACKNOWLEDGE there IS a volume pot channel imbalance (down ’low’ on the dial)
It would be a stretch to label the issue as ‘stealing HALF THE USABLE RANGE’. (unless statement was qualified regarding when trying to use the product with a few handfuls of the worlds‘ most sensitive IEMs or without the requisite adaptor that makes the ‘round peg actually fit in the square hole’ (IEMMatch)).

Written from the lofty ideal of living in a time and space when the 4.4mm IEMMatch product might actually exist too....

-=edited=-

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #1,874 of 2,988
Sure I have some IEMs (all of my sets actually) work wonderfully on the Diablo
This is a perfect pair. Running it in Normal mode (SE output).
Will migrate to a 4.4 mm cable later - this would be probably in Eco mode.

DSC_0920_1.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #1,875 of 2,988
This is a perfect pair. Running it in Normal mode (SE output).
Will migrate to a 4.4 mm cable later - this would be probably in Eco mode.

DSC_0920_1.jpg
Wow… this IEM should be freaking power hungry. Any of my IEM is low enough to safe listen on Diablo. I tend to use 64a pro cable as that is the least efficient cable I have. Even though is just on the limit of damaging volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back